Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
But it doesn't seem to be working with the missed breakfast coz Tabitha said this Quote "I let him off the lead and waited until there were some other dogs around and then I immediately recalled Dexter - and he totally ignored me.
Its just something worth a try, Atm the dog dosent realise hes ONLY going to be fed at the park for recalling, because its not yet been done that way.

Id be feeding little bits of the meal , all the way around for every successful recall & the rest back at the car before going home, & id do it on a line to start with , just to be sure.

& id be doing it for months! -if it worked!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is what I suggested, unfortunately, as on this thread there are some people who consider NOT feeding EXCEPT on recalls as = starving.

Which of course it does not.

There is nothing "inhumane" about feeding a dog ONLY when recall training.

However NOT teaching a reliable recall is inhumane when it results in dead dogs and or dead people (ie when dog bogs off into the road)!

Tabitha, remember, your dog has practised ignoring you for how long?

Say it was for two years, do you think it is reasonable to expect a reliable recall in (how many weeks have you been training?)

I often wonder if those who believe recall training is SO simple for all dogs that they have EVER trained a breed or an individual that is not "handler dependent"?

As Suzanne Clothier aptly puts it:

There are dogs who "carry" their handlers, politely ignoring human failings while carrying out the assigned task with style.

Then there are the "others".

As I said before, this method of training is not unique to me and if it was "INHUMANE" or involved "STARVATION" do you honestly think that members of the APDT (proponent of kind, fair and effective training) would put on courses with those who support this method and indeed have written about it such as John Rogerson?

As a KCAI (Working Trials) and KCAI (Behaviourist) do you think that he actively breaches their Code of Practice?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down...nstructors.pdf

Because if you DO I would strongly suggest that you write to both organisations accusing him of "inhumanity" to dogs and get him "removed" from the KCAI scheme and the APDT to ban courses with such a cruel, inhumane personage.

Not sure who all the "proper trainers" were around the time you were training dogs Helena54 as AFAIK JR has been around some time, but perhaps you have trained with instructors who are FAR more skilled, knowledgeable, able and experienced than him?

Obviously the "boloney" that he speaks is just that, that is why he is in demand all over the world including (gasp, horror, shriek) by rescue centres and charities including (more shock horror) The Dogs Trust and the UFAW (Universities Federation for Animal Welfare)!

Better write to them and get JR removed as well?!

So are you seriously suggesting that these organisations which have at their HEART the WELFARE of animals, supports an individual who is "inhumane"?

I would strongly suggest that the only person who is talking the "most utter bolony I think I've ever heard in my entire life" is YOU Helena54!

And I am not sure where you get the FACTS that you quiote from?

Is that years of training dogs of all breeds, temperaments, backgrounds a reliable recall?

What precisely are YOUR skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience in this area?
Do you teach regularly? Do you have pupils who go on to succeed in many disciplines? Do you train Dog Training Instructors? Do you put on seminars all over the world?

I don't have any skills in dog training, but I have various other skills!

I have a RIGHT to voice my opinion in any thread I like and whether or not it goes along with you doesn't mean diddly squat to me - fact!

I don't care what you've done, who you've trained with, blah, blah, blah and of course, we know all about that coz you're forever blowing that bladdy great trumpet of yours about that, so if these are YOUR training methods too, then yes, I totally, utterly disagree with them, along with all the others you've named dropped up there that I can't be a*sed to pick out!

As I've said to you many a time before, my dogs are just dogs, they are well mannered and do everything I ask of them, I get the help I need when I need it from trainers I respect and know well, and I get help on here when I need it. The reason my dogs are well behaved is because I have used my noddle and trained them up to suit their lifestyle, I don't need to have my dogs sitting beside some bladdy trophy, cycled 16 miles a day trained to a high level because that would bore the pants off me, I just like to enjoy my dogs and if it's ok with you, then I will stick to my way of doing things and not listen to any of your advice - thanks!

I hope you fall off that high horse of yours one day too!! You are now going on my ignore list coz quite honestly, your arrogance is now infuriating me let alone just annoying me!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 04:49 PM
thing is H most GSD's build a trust and once they have, your 'the one' but some dogs just arent like that, whether its breed, the individual dog, early learning (some dogs like georgie didnt have recall but it seems that Dex on the other hand learned that he COULD go off and not come back but further to that he has learned that he can do the things that are fun and that they are far better than even the people he has a bond with!) so it can be a lot harder.....also think of it this way, I had my tea today and then skipped breakfast, cos an extra half hour in bed looked better at the time. It won't kill me, thats the equivalent to Dex not coming back this morning he actually ate at 5.30pm so when he went out at 9.30am and something really really really fun to him came along he wasnt so fussed on Tabitha or the food!

Thats why the hunger helps to allow him to learn that coming back is a good thing, then he isnt hungry and its habit, by the time its habit its rewarding and so on, in my opinion anyway.

edit
& id be doing it for months! -if it worked!
yep he needs ultra consistency! (is consistency the right word? think I just went blank lol)
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 04:50 PM
When are you putting on YOUR recall seminar madmare?

Cos I think Tabitha (and others) would like to attend this so you can demonstrate all thes other "humane" ways to teach a dog recall, and once again the dog is not being starved.

Perhaps you have published some books, or made some DVDs?
Sorry but your sarcasm and nastiness cuts no ice with me and you won't get to me talking that way you just look stupid. I am not the one that thread after thread makes out they know everything about everything better than anyone else and dismisses everyone elses ideas.
What if this dog does not recall for its food which it doesn't seem to be doing then it obviously will not be fed as it has been said it only gets fed if it recalls.
I have trained lots of dogs over the years using my method and some have not needed a long line and have been easy, but I don't say it will work with every dog.
As none of us have actually seen the dog to note its body language etc my advice would be to get a one to one trainer or a behaviourist.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Sorry but your sarcasm and nastiness cuts no ice with me and you won't get to me talking that way you just look stupid. I am not the one that thread after thread makes out they know everything about everything better than anyone else and dismisses everyone elses ideas.
What if this dog does not recall for its food which it doesn't seem to be doing then it obviously will not be fed as it has been said it only gets fed if it recalls.
I have trained lots of dogs over the years using my method and some have not needed a long line and have been easy, but I don't say it will work with every dog.
As none of us have actually seen the dog to note its body language etc my advice would be to get a one to one trainer or a behaviourist.
I am afraid the only people who look stupid on this thread are those wrongly accusing another poster and a great dog trainer of inhumanity.

But it is great that people do expose their ignorance so other posters can be wary of their "advice"
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't have any skills in dog training, but I have various other skills!

I have a RIGHT to voice my opinion in any thread I like and whether or not it goes along with you doesn't mean diddly squat to me - fact!

I don't care what you've done, who you've trained with, blah, blah, blah and of course, we know all about that coz you're forever blowing that bladdy great trumpet of yours about that, so if these are YOUR training methods too, then yes, I totally, utterly disagree with them, along with all the others you've named dropped up there that I can't be a*sed to pick out!

As I've said to you many a time before, my dogs are just dogs, they are well mannered and do everything I ask of them, I get the help I need when I need it from trainers I respect and know well, and I get help on here when I need it. The reason my dogs are well behaved is because I have used my noddle and trained them up to suit their lifestyle, I don't need to have my dogs sitting beside some bladdy trophy, cycled 16 miles a day trained to a high level because that would bore the pants off me, I just like to enjoy my dogs and if it's ok with you, then I will stick to my way of doing things and not listen to any of your advice - thanks!

I hope you fall off that high horse of yours one day too!! You are now going on my ignore list coz quite honestly, your arrogance is now infuriating me let alone just annoying me!

Everyone has a right to express an opinion, however ill informed and unfounded it is, that is what forums are for!

Whether you agree with me or anyone else means diddly squat to me, as your opinions do not affect me, as I am not seeking advice from you, thank heavens!

As I have said on this thread I am not promoting MY methods but tried and trusted techniques used for DECADES by brilliant, humane, trusted, trainers and behaviourists.

But I notice with amusement that your post is not a carefully considered one challenging the suggested methods outlined to another poster but merely a vehicle for you to vent your spleen!

I am not sure why you felt this necessary especially as the advice was not for your benefit but that of the OP.

But I am amused that I have infuriated you so much that you have now chosen to ignore me, this is a great compliment, many thanks!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Just got in from walking Dex again and have seen all the new posts. So:

HELENA:

There was really no need to be so insulting towards me. Had you seen my other posts/threads on this, you might have gathered that I HAVE been to training classes and we HAVE had a lot of sessions, one-on-one with a superb trainer.

I have DONE all the things that you and MADMARE have suggsted - I have taken high value treats up to and including RAW BLINKING MEAT. I have jumped and danced and whooped and yelled like a lunatic. I have praised and fussed and taken squeaky toys.

I spent months using a long line - did not help. He just charged for other dogs and yanked the long line clean out of my hands.

You name it - I have DONE it.

Nothing has worked.

Dexter was already this way when I rehomed him at 13 months. He is obsessed with other dogs and nothing has been able to compete!

So I have appreciated the advice from SMOKEY BEAR and I certainly do not agree that she is suggesting anything 'inhumane'!

DOBERMANN

Thank you so much for your posts. You have been really encouraging from the day I joined this forum and it is greatly appreciated

And thank you for jumping in on my behalf; very kind of you
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Tabitha, remember, your dog has practised ignoring you for how long?

Say it was for two years, do you think it is reasonable to expect a reliable recall in (how many weeks have you been training?)

Thanks SB

Yes, that is true. Dex had 13 months with his previous owner and was apparently allowed to run riot.

And nine months with me during which most of the time has been training him to walk on a loose lead and not jump and lunge all the time.

So you are right, guess I'm a bit impatient!

Many thanks!

And to those who are bashing SMOKEY BEAR - you may not agree with her suggestions but please respect the fact that she has been very helpful to me and addressed all of my recall questions of which there have been several.

And I do NOT accept that she is in any way 'inhumane' in her attitude towards training recall or anything else.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I have never before had a dog with a problem on recall----and I have had a lot of rescue dogs---that held until a few weeks ago. Now I DO have a dog with a recall problem--also a weight problem! So only feeding him for recall might be an option at some point.

I have had minor blips with recall with Etta and with my JRT! One sorted with a line and teaching ball and the other with chicken.

At the moment I am veering towards a 'really reliable recall' method I have read about on the dodgy dogs list. It is food based if possible---which it is for me and Benj. I need a REALLY wonderful (but slimming) food and I need to find a word he has not heard as a command before---so he has not learnt to ignore it. Several times a day I then use said word in the garden/house as a recall word and feed him for 30 secs when he arrives on first asking. This carries on for a good couple of weeks or longer then I can start to use the word out on walks with the same wonderful 30 second feeding.

The theory is that I then have a great recall----we'll see!

It is one thing sorting out a pup who wants to chase---it is quite another sorting out a dog who has practised the behaviour for 5 years!

Had he been at a rescue kennels the behaviour would not have been spotted---on lead he gives no clue that he will do it and walks past cars etc fine. He won't recall from other dogs either.

Best of luck with him----it can be very frustrating!

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:43 PM
How old is he now?

My Labradors (boys especially) have always been a pain in the bum with recall around other dogs until they reached 2+ years of age. As they matured with age they became naturally better and less obsessed.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »