Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Dogs... are they wolves?

i hear over and over again that dogs are wolves in different clothing, after reading many books and doing my studies, i learned that this was in fact not true... i believe the best reference was in Ray and Lorna Coppingers book, (would quote but have lent it to someone lol) and basically the consensus was that wolves are not dogs and dogs are not wolves, they in fact share a common ancestor, much like we SHARE and ancestor with apes.
Wolves and dogs are related but dogs do not descend directly from wolves.
(correct me if you have studied info to the contrary.)
so why do i so often hear people and TRAINERS included, saying things like:
if he were in the wild...
dogs NEED a pack to survive
and then of course we step into all the alpha crap territory, which was based on a study of captive wolves (and so we now know that wolf hierarchy is based purely on age and breeding status)

so what rubbish tales have you been told, re your dog is a wolf beacuse...
and what do you think of people describing dog behaviour and relating it to wolf behaviour (apologies for poor explantion lol)

not really much point to this post lol, just interested in your views
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:16 PM
The dogs are wolves BS is actually pretty recent. I`d never heard it till about 5 years ago.
Hopefully it will subside equally rapidly.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:20 PM
dogs are defo dogs... even Tupac who actually.......

......is still a dog lol
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

id heard it for longer that i reckon, since i was a kid id say, perhaps me ust watching wldlife programmes as a nipper lol, didnt think it was a recent thing?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
dogs are defo dogs... even Tupac who actually.....is still a dog lol
ah but so many trainers would see the "wild side" of him and akin him to a primitive breed lol
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm no expert but I will say that Luke could not possibly be any farther away from a wolf lol.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
ah but so many trainers would see the "wild side" of him and akin him to a primitive breed lol
lol ...now if your talking primitive...those darn sibes lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
i hear over and over again that dogs are wolves in different clothing, after reading many books and doing my studies, i learned that this was in fact not true... i believe the best reference was in Ray and Lorna Coppingers book, (would quote but have lent it to someone lol) and basically the consensus was that wolves are not dogs and dogs are not wolves, they in fact share a common ancestor, much like we SHARE and ancestor with apes.
Wolves and dogs are related but dogs do not descend directly from wolves.
(correct me if you have studied info to the contrary.)
so why do i so often hear people and TRAINERS included, saying things like:
if he were in the wild...
dogs NEED a pack to survive
and then of course we step into all the alpha crap territory, which was based on a study of captive wolves (and so we now know that wolf hierarchy is based purely on age and breeding status)

so what rubbish tales have you been told, re your dog is a wolf beacuse...
and what do you think of people describing dog behaviour and relating it to wolf behaviour (apologies for poor explantion lol)

not really much point to this post lol, just interested in your views
No, absolutely incorrect. Wolves and dogs do not share a COMMON ancestor, they share the same ancestor - dogs are direct descendents of wolves, same DNA, one is wild, one is tame. Man over the millenia have of course moulded the wolf and changed him almost unrecognisably into the thousand plus pedigree breeds that we know and love today - but dog is still wolf in terms of genetic makeup, physiology and neurology.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, absolutely incorrect. Wolves and dogs do not share a COMMON ancestor, they share the same ancestor - dogs are direct descendents of wolves, same DNA, one is wild, one is tame. Man over the millenia have of course moulded the wolf and changed him almost unrecognisably into the thousand plus pedigree breeds that we know and love today - but dog is still wolf in terms of genetic makeup, physiology and neurology.
then we disagree
though yes they do share nearly identical DNA
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The dogs are wolves BS is actually pretty recent. I`d never heard it till about 5 years ago.
Hopefully it will subside equally rapidly.
You can't argue with genes, C & D. Dogs and wolves share the same DNA - through the mitochondrial RNA, the scientists have proved that all modern domesticated dogs as we know them are descended from 3 wolf bitches - I find that amazing.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »