View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:32 PM
In my opinion: Take what works and throw out the rest. The problem is people don't read what is written at the begining of each of his show....do not try these techniques without consulating a professional...!!!!

Lets face it.....how long ago did we keep dogs outside in all weathers and beat them stupid to submit, how long ago was the attitude, children should be seen not heard and we beat them stupid as well, don't get me started on domestic violence as being something the police wouldn't interfer with, once a upon a time!

We keep moving forward and no child physcholoigst has all the answers with children's behaviour and any dog trainer/behaviourist say that they do about dogs......well, I wouldn't ask for their help.

Each dog is different and the only thing we can do is,....we can only do our best for them the best way we can!
mike_c
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
I have NEVER seen the hostility towards CM as there is here. You guys DO know that your hatred gives him puplicity... right?

Hating him hurts no one but yourself, he sure isn't feeling any pain from it.
Personally, I don't hate him, I can even believe that he means well. (Maybe his partner is the money genius.)
I just think that his archaic (and not at all new) methods are a menace to dogs and people the world over.

Google dogwelfarecampaign for an unemotional, reasoned, factually based discussion on some of his methods.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:31 PM
well i watched his show on tuesday, he had an "on lead reactive dog" and when faced with other dogs, it was about to kick off and Cesar put a treat under his nose and distracted it!! i nearly fell off the sofa lol... though he did soon move on to choking the dog, but hey, its a start lol
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:11 PM
What seems at odds with the anti-CM view is that he has been asked by Oprah, Wayne Dyer, Tony Robbins and Deepak Chopra to help with their dogs. Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra are new age, positive affirmation-type, new age gurus, and Tony Robbins is "the" NLP (neurolinguistic programming) guru - Tony Robbins, in turn, is gushed over and admired by Susan Garrett, agility guru, who also has Wayne Dyer affirmations delivered straight to her email, I believe. CM has been asked to take part in Deepak's “Journey to Healing” workshop. Apparently, the event "will gather experts in a variety of fields encompassing mind-body health, psychology, personal transformation, and self-care. Topics such as new trends in holistic care and natural approaches to stress, anxiety, and depression will be some of the focus of the ... series of workshops". Oprah, Dyer, Chopra and Robbins are all very astute people - why would they risk their reputations by association themselves with CM, if CM is so reviled? Why aren't they rushing off in the other direction?

This is merely an observation...I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Because cesar is all about inner peace and balance as much as they are. They may not see how much damage he could potentially cause through his methods. A lot of people don't view him as much"cruel" so i doubt they do either
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I think Tony Robbins definitely would - he'd be right into finding out what CM was all about. The first thing he would do is check if it would hurt his business. He's not really into inner peace and all that - he's a pretty hardnosed guy, a bit like Susan Garrett, except for the gender. Apparently, lots of people end up in tears, or did at one time, at her training sessions... but the dogs are fine. I can't read the replies to her blogs - they are so fawning and idolatory.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I read all about it on ID's blog when it was happening
Everyone will have their own views but I for one am happy that ID has done this
If he is 100% happy that his words have been put forwards how he ment them then I cant see how it can do anything but good

What I see so often is people are unaware of any other methods BUT CM because he is the only one they see
So getting his fans to see other methods is a good thing

Also some of his followers are totaly against positive methods - if they see them in his book then they might think again

I think CM would be less damaging if people were given more alternatives to him, then they would be able to use common sense and cherry pick the good bits from many trainers

and if ID makes some money from this then so what? tbh I dont see him as pushing for money as much as many trainers, his advice is there on the web for free, much of his seminars are on you tube, you have to go looking for his books dvd's and videos
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 04:05 AM
I knowone thing, the man doesn't know all things about all breeds, he has done a few eps on my breed (acd's) & I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I think that I know more about the breed when he does. None of the times did he suggest appropriate outlets for their instincts, such as herding classes, agility or obedience. H also failed to tell the owners about the breed's phsyical demands & I almost had a laugh at his feeble attempt at a breed profile. Sometimes his arrogance annoys me a tad.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:35 AM
In fairness to Ian Dunbar because I haven't seen him interacting with the public, I looked at a video of him doing so, and I found his approach very condescending. First of all, he makes sure the audience knows there is "an enemy" (the uncaring lot, not like him) (and he seems to describe another lot - the sort of confused lot, it seems to me), and then he gives an emotional description, with almost a break in his voice, of a confused little pup not knowing why it's getting a row. It's not a style I like, being drawn into, knowingly by the speaker, a discourse which is appealing to the heart rather than the head. But I can see how it appeals to those who enjoy that kind of calculated emotional talk designed to draw the audience in at an emotional level.

Just made myself listen to it again - it's worse than I thought, if I understand him correctly - it would seem from what he is saying that there's only "us" (the goodies) and "them" (the other "bad" lot) - not a confused lot in the middle... I think, it's a bit longwinded that bit.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
In fairness to Ian Dunbar because I haven't seen him interacting with the public, I looked at a video of him doing so, and I found his approach very condescending. First of all, he makes sure the audience knows there is "an enemy" (the uncaring lot, not like him) (and he seems to describe another lot - the sort of confused lot, it seems to me), and then he gives an emotional description, with almost a break in his voice, of a confused little pup not knowing why it's getting a row. It's not a style I like, being drawn into, knowingly by the speaker, a discourse which is appealing to the heart rather than the head. But I can see how it appeals to those who enjoy that kind of calculated emotional talk designed to draw the audience in at an emotional level.
What a very condesending post. Much better for people to follow ID than to get caught up in the so called 'charisma' of a person like CM.

rune
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »