View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Is public opinion changing cesar's methods?

I wandered into Waterstones this morning and found a new book called Cesar's Rules. So I flipped through it quickly and there were pictures of Cesar with another trainer (Ian Dunbar I think) sitting cosily on a sofa teaching a dog to sit with a treat. There was information on using treats to train. I also read a few pages on Martin Deeley teaching a recall on a long line with special emphasis on not yanking the line. Clickers were mentioned and it all seemed to be very positive training.

If what I read is indicative of the rest then there has been a huge change in his approach.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I believe he was told officially that if he practised some of his harsher methods over here then he would be prosecuted for it, his PR team probably cottoned on to the fact he doesn't have such a giant fan base over here and decided they needed a new approach if he wanted success over here. Me, cynical, noooo
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I have seen him using slightly more positive methods so perhaps he is getting there slowly but would be a long time before i advocate any of his methods. Also yes it is good that he's changing his ways but he has already caused a lot of damage to unwitting dogs and owners
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Well it was in the 'new books' section so may have been brought out because of his programme working with uk dogs. But I imagine it will also be available in the usa.

He is such a big influence on a lot of people that advocating positive training is a step forward.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I believe he was told officially that if he practised some of his harsher methods over here then he would be prosecuted for it, his PR team probably cottoned on to the fact he doesn't have such a giant fan base over here and decided they needed a new approach if he wanted success over here. Me, cynical, noooo
Ah very interesting!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Victoria Stillwell changed her methods. I don't know if that was because of how people responded to what she did?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Yes she did and is better for it but still comes out with pack hierarchy stuff.

A little quote from his new book ;
reward based training to rehabilitate a dog is not natural.

So he still isn't getting it is he?!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Another cynic here after all he is being marketed so will be marketed to suit consumers
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:12 PM
No, financial considerations are changing the way he presents what he does.
He`s still an awful man.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:13 PM
It's far more interesting looking at it from the fact that Ian Dunbar seems happy enough being associated with CM, as it will leave many of Dunbar's followers in an uncomfortable position. Just the same as Parkers aren't really in the business of making pens, more in the gift making business, dog trainers out to make it in the media aren't just in it for dog training, but to increase their audience and make money, and will evolve to suit the markets, which seems to be what CM and ID have decided.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »