Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bunnykennedy View Post
To what level you take it varies with each owner. Having been around horses all my life I find there are some similarities. Feeding rewards and tidbits can produce undesirable behaviour and wrong motives.

I`ve trained dogs and I`ve trained horses. One is a herd animal, one isn`t. They have different drives and motivation - and different needs. So I don`t really see the relevance.

In an emergency food is not going to stop your dog bolting into a main road.

no - it`s all the patient training that you`ve done that will do that.

I`ve always been startled by the number of people who expect animals to do things for them because they `should`. Training dogs is pretty basic - get the action; reward the action ; label the action. Repeat till it`s learned. There is no substitute for good training IMO.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Food would stop one of my dogs bolting into the road and a toy would stop the other one!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Food would stop one of my dogs bolting into the road and a toy would stop the other one!
I think so many people fall down on thinking that food is the only reward to use.
I have someone in my class at the moment with a little terrier - he likes working for food...but he LOVES working for toys....I just am having an issue explaining that to his owner!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I find it very interesting how people get hooked on a method of reward which suits THEM rather than their dog!

I always tell them it is the DOG that decides what is punishing and what is reinforcing, not them!

I give them the choice test, put toy and food equidistant (I hope you are impressed with that terminology) from each other and the dog, and see which one goes to first........
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:20 PM

I give them the choice test, put toy and food equidistant (I hope you are impressed with that terminology) from each other and the dog, and see which one goes to first........
Very impressive. LOL

Though even that can fail a bit. If someone tossed a toy and food on the ground for Dahlia, she'd eat the food. But there are times she's really amped up and wants to work for a good game of tug. At other times, she prefers the food. I always go to agility class armed with both!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I find it very interesting how people get hooked on a method of reward which suits THEM rather than their dog!

I always tell them it is the DOG that decides what is punishing and what is reinforcing, not them!

Yes when I was working with Cherry and Parker in heelwork to music Parker worked really keenly for food but when I tried to do the same with Cherry she just wanted to sort the other dogs out but when her special ball came out I had her complete attention then!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Just watched the first episode and all I could think of is, ok where's the actual training? Rocky was distracting me so maybe I missed it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just watched the first episode and all I could think of is, ok where's the actual training? Rocky was distracting me so maybe I missed it
You didnt miss a thing Azz, I said earlier, he didnt do any harm to anything this time, that was because he actually didnt do anything at all!!

Im a stubborn so and so, but DOgsey taught me how bad CM really is.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You didnt miss a thing Azz, I said earlier, he didnt do any harm to anything this time, that was because he actually didnt do anything at all!!

Im a stubborn so and so, but DOgsey taught me how bad CM really is.
I did see him sort of 'jab' the black GSD and thought did he just jab that dog? They edited it so it switched to something else tho so was over very quick
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I did see him sort of 'jab' the black GSD and thought did he just jab that dog? They edited it so it switched to something else tho so was over very quick
If he did he didnt worry the dog, thankfully. I thought they were really nice, normal dogs.
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12