Snorri the Priest
Licentiate of the Tailwagger Federation
15 Bottywobble Boulevard
Pawmark-on-the-Mudd
Barkshire
PM4 4VW

Or something?

Snorri
Suppose it could do, but if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, the trainer would very soon be out of business - letterhead or no - and, with the more reputable bodies would quickly be out on their ear as far as they are concerned too
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Looks good on your letterhead......

Snorri the Priest
Licentiate of the Tailwagger Federation
15 Bottywobble Boulevard
Pawmark-on-the-Mudd
Barkshire
PM4 4VW

Or something?

Snorri
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
My answer to the original quote was just to counter the idea that trainers/behaviourist who take courses somehow neglect their clients because of it - which was, it seemed to me, to be the implication
If that implication was born of your interpretation of one of my posts then apologies, but that was ever the intent.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Nope, but it does help in both concentrating the mind and ensuring that the study actually does take place (if the student wants to pass the course) and also allows for direction and guidance to be given when required where the student is struggling with analysis and evaluation of the information currently coming forward. This guidance comes from the very experienced people who run the courses - provided the courses are reputable and of good quality of course. In my view, you can't get much more reputable that a university education and you can't get much better quality than a Batchelor of Science recognised qualification as the exacting criteria that has to be met to run a degree with this qualification ensures the level of education is up to standard
Just a genuine question. You think a university education, in dog training is better than one on ones or courses with the best in the dog trainers there are?
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Many are resistant to change, but equally, not many will continue with that resistance once they start to understand for themselves (rather than being dictated to) how they can become more effective trainers by embracing change once they understand why and how things work and why and how dogs and people learn

Quite possibly. But I think that happens to the same people when they have a session with John Rogerson, or Karen Pryor, or any number of other people.

I think those same changes are likely for those same people, when they encounter new dogs or new experiences.

I dont think a university education is required to update or motivate new thinking. Just my view. I know for instance, that the methods of dealing with aggression within the university education my colleague is following are, in my view, and hers, way behind our own, for instance.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Just a genuine question. You think a university education, in dog training is better than one on ones or courses with the best in the dog trainers there are?
Why not do both? I know someone who does. They get to know methods of an experienced and recognised trainer and apply them practically and academically.

But the point of a decent course is to teach and assess. As a trainer you must recognise the importance of aims and weather the pupil has learned what has been taught.

A decent course will educate, monitor and assess to a level that has been universally agreed and not just by one person.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Jury is out on that one . Much depends on the experience, knowledge and capability to pass on knowledge of the instuctor involved.

However, an instructor on a course or one to one has no idea of how much his or her 'students' has actually taken from the course as there is rarely any testing of that knowledge and, of course, they can only hope to pass on what they themselves know - in other words, if their own education or experience is lacking, their students will not benefit.

Where a degree scores of course is that the instructors aren't looking to influence students by only passing on their instruction, but they encourage them to go out, do their own research, evaluate and analyse that research and be tested on it. The testing ensures that the student has not only done the learning, but understands it and can make their own decisions based on it.

That is a major plus point in favour of degrees, in my opinion, as they aren't churning out lots of 'mini-me's', but rather free-thinking individuals who are capable of reading research, understanding it and using that understanding and knowledge to best advantage within their work.

Edited to add: If you look around, you'll find that universities, far from shielding their students from workshops and seminars, actively encourage their students to attend them - many even host them themselves .

As you have said, the degree your colleague is undertaking encourages (demands) that the students go out to other dog trainers to observe and evaluate their work.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Quite possibly. But I think that happens to the same people when they have a session with John Rogerson, or Karen Pryor, or any number of other people.
There is a lot to be gained by going to seminars given by good trainers. However, those sessions will only give the 'student' a snapshot of dog training based on the views of the instructor giving the course.

I think those same changes are likely for those same people, when they encounter new dogs or new experiences.
I agree with you that experience is essential and with each experience (and every single dog and owner provides a unique experience) comes learning. It takes an awful long time from the start of the 'experience' road to build up a knowledge base, especially when the 'whys' behind the behaviours being seen aren't known.

I dont think a university education is required to update or motivate new thinking. Just my view. I know for instance, that the methods of dealing with aggression within the university education my colleague is following are, in my view, and hers, way behind our own, for instance.
Then you should publish your methods so that students across all courses, dog trainers and owners too can gain from your knowledge. It's only by publishing works/research that our knowledge of 'all things dog' progresses which is the ultimate aim of anyone interested in dogs. Also, by publishing your work to a wider audience, the methods can be tested and replicated and if found to be beneficial broadcast to a wider audience which will ultimately benefits a heck of a lot of dogs
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Jeez, they are "Just dogs",

It just needs some common sense most of the time
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »