View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I think the more we teach our dogs the better. It expands their mind, makes them think, and is fun. I have been teaching Luchi (amongst other things) to "point" with her paw any given object, a trick that makes my Niece and Nephew think she is amazingly clever, but just one part of an overall strategy. to close doors, switch lights on/off etc etc.

We have had great fun during the learning process, with her scooting objects around the kitchen floor with her paws, having a whale of a time, tail wagging and earning some treats in the process, what could be better? She doesn't do it to please me though. but it does help to reinforce the fact that interaction with me is lovely.

Training/tricks, it is all the same to her, her nutty human mum gives her good things for having fun.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
I think the more we teach our dogs the better. It expands their mind, makes them think, and is fun. I have been teaching Luchi (amongst other things) to "point" with her paw any given object, a trick that makes my Niece and Nephew think she is amazingly clever, but just one part of an overall strategy. to close doors, switch lights on/off etc etc.

We have had great fun during the learning process, with her scooting objects around the kitchen floor with her paws, having a whale of a time, tail wagging and earning some treats in the process, what could be better? She doesn't do it to please me though. but it does help to reinforce the fact that interaction with me is lovely.

Training/tricks, it is all the same to her, her nutty human mum gives her good things for having fun.
That's lovely to hear. We all need to have fun & enjoy life ~ and does it really matter that there's no end useful result though? And I bet Luchi has the time of her life with the "training" sessions
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:05 PM
The dog gets to work with its human - for those of us who cannot provide realy work for the dogs
It gets mental and physical stimulation, it becomes more aware of its body
We cant read a dogs mind or ask it what it gets out of it - but I havent seen a single positivly trained dog showing off its tricks that dosent show totaly joy, they are so happy

Silvia Trckman is an AMAZING agility handler - and she puts it all down to her trick training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5rr...eature=related
La showing great awearness of her back end, stretching out muscles, using her brain, focusing and following commands with distractions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6l6...eature=related
as she said, being able to focus and be motivated with 'boring' heeling makes focus motivation and speed easy on the agility ring
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:09 PM
I have to say that to only teach 'stay and sometimes come' seems a bit sparse.

If I taught nothing much at all 'come' would be be one of my priorities----and not just sometimes!

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have to say that to only teach 'stay and sometimes come' seems a bit sparse.

If I taught nothing much at all 'come' would be be one of my priorities----and not just sometimes!

rune
So true
Dogs are learning all the time - why not have them learn the things we actually want and have fun doing it

I dont understand how people interact with their dogs without training it
Just then I was playing tug in the garden - thats quite a few tricks - take the object in mouth, tug at it, give it up when I ask, fetch it, even not including the sits and downs I add in thats quite a few behaviours just from 30s playing
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Dawn, I thought you show your dogs
Does that not involve standing a certain way and walking onlead - there tricks too - and the dogs never look as happy as dogs showing off clicker tricks
What do your dogs get out of showing?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm only against it for MY dogs, I have taught them everything they need to know, more than the basic commands, our fun comes in different ways, I play with them, I have fun when we're out on our walks, I don't want to bombard their brains with constant, constant training, once they know the commands I need, they get used on them, just to remind them on a daily basis with the youngster, but to carry on teaching her more and more tricks on top is something I have no desire to do, her life is going to be short enough with me anyway, I want to make it as much fun as I can for her, not stick her in a classroom and constantly give her orders, it's just not for me I'm afraid. I like to see her running, playing, zooming around in the woods sniffing everything, hiding things for her to find that kind of thing rather than teaching her tricks, that's just the way it is around here, and anyways, I lead quite a busy life and not only do I not have the time for all that, I don't have the inclination ether.

I do, however, enjoy seeing her having great fun at her new agility lessons, and to go there 3 times a week is more than enough "brain fodder" for her, plus she's laughing all the way, and her tail is going like crazy so you can't tell me that's not fun for a dog!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm only against it for MY dogs, I have taught them everything they need to know, more than the basic commands, our fun comes in different ways, I play with them, I have fun when we're out on our walks, I don't want to bombard their brains with constant, constant training, once they know the commands I need, they get used on them, just to remind them on a daily basis with the youngster, but to carry on teaching her more and more tricks on top is something I have no desire to do, her life is going to be short enough with me anyway, I want to make it as much fun as I can for her, not stick her in a classroom and constantly give her orders, it's just not for me I'm afraid. I like to see her running, playing, zooming around in the woods sniffing everything, hiding things for her to find that kind of thing rather than teaching her tricks, that's just the way it is around here, and anyways, I lead quite a busy life and not only do I not have the time for all that, I don't have the inclination ether.

I do, however, enjoy seeing her having great fun at her new agility lessons, and to go there 3 times a week is more than enough "brain fodder" for her, plus she's laughing all the way, and her tail is going like crazy so you can't tell me that's not fun for a dog!
Now I understand why you don't train various commands & "tricks"! Your dogs are having a great time anyway so why bother with formal training sessions that they don't really need. I completely appreciate this & this is probably very much the same as I treat my dogs. Although, from my perspective, it's a lot to do with laziness on my part! And if my dogs had any sort of behavioural problems I'd make a lot more effort with the training.

But I still think that your dogs & mine are still learning lots of stuff anyway. Whilst the learning is not carried out in a structured or formal format, like training classes, or training sessions that are separate from the walks, they still have huge opportunities to learn.

Mine have learned that if I make up a flask of tea before the walk, then we are going out for quite a while & a picnic might be involved. They have learned that when we take a certain route we're going to my mum's ~ which brings on much excitement & whooping it up in the car! They've learned that certain woods have lots of squirrels & other places have rabbits. They've learned to watch a friend's dog that is a successful hunter. Barney's learned that if we're with a certain friend & she vanishes off the path when another dog comes into sight, then he should follow, because inevitably she'll be dishing out treats to keep her dog distracted!!

Now whilst I haven't taught them any of this, they sure as hell have learned it!!!
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2010, 02:30 PM
So true, they are learning all the time. whether we chose to teach them things or not.

One of my greatest pleasures is watching Luchi run wild and free through the woods and long grass, rolling around and enjoying all she scents and sensations. there is nothing quite like that, and the sheer joy is so plain to see. I would say that is one of the reasons i have a dog, is to be able to share those moments. It really lifts my spirits, and hers.

Doesn't stop me teaching her the odd trick though
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I think variety is the spice of life This has had some really interesting responses, I love hearing everyones views.

I still think trick training has a purpose but I totally understand Helena's views too. I think the important thing is that the dog is active and stimulated mentally, how you choose to acheive that is personal and method isn't that important.

Except basic training. I think all dogs should know the basics to make life pleasent for yourself, the dog and peopleatound you. Noone likes an out if control dog.

See Cain is only a year old, I have another 10+, hopefully 15 years with him. Now he's done the basics, where to go next?we're doing some trick training now for fun but I can see is trying many things over the years. When he gets to 18 months we will definately be starting agility. I want to try HWTM and maybe obedience, field trials or scent work. Don't think he's really a fly ball sort of dog. But I embrance everything to stimulate him, not just training. I have loads of interactive toys, like to get new toys, walk him in as many different locations as possible, vary his treats and chews, ANYTHING to keep his mind busy as a bored Cain would be a nightmare!!!! Lol. I want to try the Nina Ottoson puzzles too.

My favourite thi g in the world is seeing Cain enjoying himself and I try to acheive that in as many different ways as possible. Trick training is just one of many methods
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »