View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:41 PM
So glad horse and rider are nottoo worse for wear. If the Girth didn't snap I bet she makes sure it is done up properly next time and then checked. But at least they are both ok.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:46 PM
thats great news,, so glad.. thanks for the update, I think that must be a horse owners worst nighmare... I have never came off my horse when out riding, but I have had a few darting towards me with no rider when out and about, I can only imagine how upsetting it must be,

ETA, I have came off my horse when out riding,, but they have never took off, they seem to take more pleasure stareing down at me.....with that kind of " what ya doing down there face on"
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Best news - well done for finding out H! Pleased that the outcome was good not as first feared.

Very lucky horse.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Phew what a relief.
I think horses are the most beautiful animals but I am absolutely petrified of them
I would just die on the spot if a riderless horse came anywhere me, thinking about it I come close to dying if one with a rider comes my way
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Glad everyone is okay!

I came off my horse badly a few years back and he went charging off. Luckily one friend that I had ridden out with took me off to hospital and the other went on the "horse hunt". We were in a local woods, and I later heard that my horse was found, safe and sound, by a member of the public - he came across my horse grazing at the side of the road, called the police and waited with him and happily handed him over to my friend when she came across them. It was the worst two hours of my life waiting to hear if he had been caught and if he was okay, and by the time I was given the okay to leave the hospital, he was all sorted out and fed and none the worse for his adventure. For weeks afterwards I kept reminding myself how lucky we were.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I've only just read that myself now, coz I had to dash off after posting up! What a relief for that rider then! I know where she went now, becaus I'm near the lower end of the village on the High Street, and as it bends round to approach the main A24, there is a small slip road, which has only been fenced off about 10 years ago, and as she says, the horse headed for the one and only gap in that fencing to cross, where I myself used to cross to get to where her stables is Roger's Farm. Oh boy, even if the horse had gone across that road I really don't think she would have made it, but thankfully all is well, I like a nice happy ending!

I've come off my horse loads of times, but 9 times out of 10, funnily enough, I always ended up standing upright at his head holding the reins, which means Imust have done a double sumersault in the air over his head doesn't it!!! He used to do these awful screw bucks, sometimes I could feel his bum on my hat!!!! Cheeky monkey, but of course, he knew I had such a fantastic s.o.h. that horse of mine!! Nobody else would dare ride him that's for sure, but Iknew him inside out and he was always sorry when I ended up on the deck, he'd look down on me as if to say, "what you doing down there Mum"!!! He never, ever ran off, and if he ever did with me on board, luckily I was able to stay ONboard in such an event and always managed to pull him up within a short distance, no matter what scared the hell out of him, which of course, most things to do horses. My most embarrassing fall was on a friend's long distance arab she had trusted me to ride out for her Big mistake!!! There I was, cantering sedately along this lovely tunnel of trees in a big valley of grass, with bends in it (remember that bit!!) and I was in heaven, such a beautiful, beautiful horse to ride (he'd done the 50 mile long distance ride, so his canter was to die for!), when all of a sudden, bang, there I was down in this big, flinty ditch, but still holding onto the buckle of the reins, almost pulling the teeth out of this poor horse! I looked up and saw another rider, who I knew, she was ONLY the Advanced Instructor at a local riding Centre!!!! In a quiet little voice I said "oh, hello, I didn't hear you", to which she replied "well, HE obviously did", and she rode off leaving me sat in this ditch!!!!! In hindsight, I suppose that lovely tunnel of trees was for sedately walking along, so in future, I left the galloping to the big wide tractor track in the field alongside - much safer!!!

I'm rabitting again, so I'd better stop there!!!

Thanks for showing an interest here, but I'm just thankful all turned out well for everyone, coz quite honestly, the speed that horse was going, it wouldn't have surprised me if it had ended up dead, but it didn't! The road it came DOWN from the village green, is a very narrow, shiny, slippery road too, where we used to walk VERY gingerly on our horses, that's a feat in itself that it came charging down there at speed!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 04:06 PM
lol your only rabbiting cos we got you started on horsey talk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Lol yes Shona, Dave used to say to me when I came back from "putting the horse in" "how come it takes 3 hours to put the horse to bed then"????? You know what us horsey peops are like!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-09-2008, 04:32 PM
So glad horse and rider are ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh, brilliant. I'm so pleased there was no real harm done

Thanks for updating, Aitch x0x
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >