Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Loose Horse OMG! (update @ post #29)

I was just logging into Dogsey and I hear the clatter of a galloping horse on the road, so I looked out my front window to see what idiot was cantering down a road, and lo and behold and gorgeous big black horse was careering along all on his own!!!! I went charging out there, trying to say in a calm voice woooooah, but of course, that would have meant me shouting, so I kept quiet! Instead of crossing the Main A24 which would have been a feat in itself, but it would have been safe and near to home, it decided to carry on ON THE DUAL CARRAIGEWAY heading down to the Town!!!! OMG I can't believe this is happening. I've been here 20 years, I've ridden out for most of those years, but never have I seen a loose horse, reins a dangling galloping onto the dual carraigeway, I just hope to God somebody manages to stop it further down!! This is a very fast road 70mph, so finger's crossed!

I immediately rang the police, but she said somebody had just rung at the same time as me so they're on the case! OMG this is truly awful, I'm sure it's going to come to some harm, let alone the poor rider left somewhere up on the downs maybe injured! I will keep you informed, I can just hear the helicopter now though!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:10 PM
omg

poor horse must be terrified..

let us know what happens H
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:24 PM
OMG! Keep us posted, hon.

Poor horse must be terrified!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:27 PM
oh no - hope the horse gets caught safely.

Hope the rider isn't hurt in a ditch somewhere too.

This happened near me but on a quiet village road thankfully - i stopped the car quietly and tried to stop it but it was too quick for me - rang a friend at the bottom of the road to see if she could stop it - luckily the owner had managed to get to the end before the horse and caught it!
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Oh Helena - poor thing must be terrified.
Hope it can be stopped before anything awful happens.

Do you think someone has come off somewhere back up the road ?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:31 PM
OMG - I hope the poor horse doesn't get injured or cause an accident

Let us know what happens H.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

hope its caught soon, I have had it a few times,
keep us posted
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Heard nothing, the traffic is still zooming up and down on that busy main road. The helicopter has now gone, so I'm hoping, somebody horse savvy managed to stop it before it caused itself and others any injury. If it fell, then it's had it. Horses can't fall on hard surfaces without going into shock trying to get themselves up or breaking a leg unfortunately. It really was a beautiful looking horse, I do hope it's ok. I know lots of peops who have horses over the road and I've rung the owner of that yard and left a message, so I should hear something either way.

Funny thing too, although it was bridled, it had no saddle on it?? Unless of course, the girth broke, causing the girl to fall off in the first place??? Could be!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:33 PM
is it a fairly straight road with good visabilty,,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
Oh Helena - poor thing must be terrified.
Hope it can be stopped before anything awful happens.

Do you think someone has come off somewhere back up the road ?
Yes, Jo, my village is right at the foot of the South Downs and a very popular riding area, Cissbury Hill (a well known Sussex beauty spot). I have just realised, because the horse had no saddle, that the girth could have broken, saddle falling off and rider with it! Trouble is, I'm near the South entrance to the village which this busy road runs along. I was hoping it would just scoot across the whole lot (it's only a grass verge in the middle of the road) and get safely home with the other horses in that yard, but no, it turned left and went straight down the main road!!! There's a big bend further on down and cars career up on the other side of the road....... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, this is not good, I might try and ring a few peops and see if they know what's happening down there. I'll be back!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »