Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
You can watch the documentary for free here http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cove/ It is disturbing in parts.
It contains interviews with the scientists who tested for the mercury poisoning.
oops you beat me to it Celli lol x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
We really are the most despicable creatures on this planet....
Agreed

Unless there's a seismic shift in culture and attitudes - there will be no planet left.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Can I ask a couple questions.

Im sure you dont mean "Dolphin pleads for his life" because he is a Dolphin and he cant do that. I do appreciate that he/she is caught though and therefore will need to surface to breathe properly.

Are the Dolphins that you claim are slaughtered for meat part of the total that are allowed per year due to overstocking?

Where does the meat go?

Who eats it?

Do you have any links/evidence to support this?

How would you propose that small fishing boats and larger ones I suppose (Not industrial highly technologically equipped trawlers) can avoid the Dolphins in their nets? Dolphins are not so bright as to realise the nets are a danger, otherwise if we give them the credit for the intelligence many claim they have, they wouldnt get caught in them. Would they?

Genuine questions. I do not support places like Seaworld etc.. I do not think that there can ever be a suitable environment in captivity for such animals. Nor can I see what captivity for these animals can ever achieve as far as sustained numbers etc.. are concerned, hence the question on killing them.

Thanks. (seriously)
Unfortunately I cannot open the link because I am at work and we are restricted from running videos, but I don't doubt that a dolphin is more than capable of "pleading for its life". Not obviously like a human would do, but in its own way. They are extremely intelligent creatures, some say as intelligent as us, and therefore would very likely have a sense of life and death as we would understand it.

My husband has visited Japan many times on business, and they are avid and common eaters of dolphin meat.

i don't think it's as simple as the dolphins being intelligent enough, or not, to avoid the nets. I think it far more likely to be the case that they cannot always see them. I have no idea how good their vision is, but from a personal point of view having done a lot of snorkelling and scuba diving, with a mask of course, I could quite imagine that without wearing a mask, it would be very difficult to see nets underwater. I think also the fisherman tend to flood areas with nets, and/or herd the dolphins, so it is very hard for them to escape.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Pretty much all other wild animals would struggle to get away from the boat, away from danger, dolphins are highly intelligent, and are thought to have similar cognitive powers as we do, they are self aware, they feel empathy & so its highly likely that dolphin was well aware that struggling to get free wouldnt save him & that by going up to the boat &'pleading' for mercy was his only chance of survival, bare in mind he had probably seen his pod slaughtered so would have been aware he was in grave danger.

If you want to know more about the Taiji dolphin slaughter, check out the cove, if it doesnt answer all your questions(because ive only seen it the once) i'll try to.
Its and hour and a half long so I cant at this time, but I will. Thank you for posting it.

Im more interested really in the questions I asked you.

I dont for one moment believe a Dolphin can "plead for its life" if it had the thinking to do that it would have had the thinking to stay away from nets. They go for the nets for food, period. They are no doubt an intelligent animal, but to anthropomorphize it a bit silly. They just see an easy meal and take advantage of that. They are Dolphins, its what they do.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its and hour and a half long so I cant at this time, but I will. Thank you for posting it.

Im more interested really in the questions I asked you.

I dont for one moment believe a Dolphin can "plead for its life" if it had the thinking to do that it would have had the thinking to stay away from nets. They go for the nets for food, period. They are no doubt an intelligent animal, but to anthropomorphize it a bit silly. They just see an easy meal and take advantage of that. They are Dolphins, its what they do.
Youre welcome , i hope you do find time to watch the video though.

Its a very arrogant attitude of our species to assume that other creatures cant possibly think and feel, i think people forget that WE, like they, are animals too.

Some tuna boats actually look for dolphin pods hunting when fishing for tuna because dolphin are easy to spot, they surround the tuna & the dolpins with mile long nets, the nets are designed to go under the creatures & the boats then draw the top of the net up like a purse sting, trapping the animals.

the Taiji fishermen hunt dolphins en mass in fast boats and shoal the pods with nets into shallows trapping them in the Cove, they then slaughter them, sometimes dolpins who dont get caught up in the nets, will follow the boats because they wont leave their pod members.

This is really interesting....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I dislike very much the arrogance of humans thinking that we are the only intelligent species on the planet, capable of feeling emotions, and I see absolutely no reason why a dolphin should not in its own way "plead for its life". We have all heard the stories of dolphins rescuing drowning children, helping fishermen, surfing bow waves of boats, there is absolutely no reason in my mind why a dolphin should not try to "ask" a human being not to hurt it.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I dislike very much the arrogance of humans thinking that we are the only intelligent species on the planet, capable of feeling emotions, and I see absolutely no reason why a dolphin should not in its own way "plead for its life". We have all heard the stories of dolphins rescuing drowning children, helping fishermen, surfing bow waves of boats, there is absolutely no reason in my mind why a dolphin should not try to "ask" a human being not to hurt it.
Well said Gnasher x
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Theres another recently made video here Dawn about what happens in Taiji .

Dawn to Death -The Dolphins of Taiji

From dawn to death, the story of the fate of dolphins passing by Japan. This is Taiji, dolphins are caught, driven to a cove and either killed or used for the slave trade in Dolphinariums

http://vimeo.com/52943939

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I can't even look at the opening post the title is enough for me
I have stood in the evening light near Cardigan bay watching the Dolphins swim past, they are one of my favourite species and for me preferable to many humans ...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Well said Gnasher x
Thanx darling
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >