View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
A roast spud left over from lunch has just been devoured by a pair of Blackbirds
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Aww i love feeding the birds, theres always a feeling of satisfaction when you see them tucking in. Sadly i cant hang any feeders out because when i did neighbours complained they attracted squirrels which had been getting into the lofts and causing damage i was so gutted i loved feeding them. So i have been secretly throwing things out to them and i have a regular visitor of a fieldfare everyday eating an apple for a good hour or two. I couldn't bear not to give them anything.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 09:44 PM
we got cranberry and suet bird food from PAH they go mad for it,
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I melt half a pound of lard (36 pence) with bird seed and sultanas in a pie dish and let it set. The bigger birds like Blackbirds, Pigeons and Thrushes who can't use hanging fatballs love it.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
We've had 2 redwings this morning - I only know they are called that because hub pointed them out & we looked em up on the internet! yesterday 3 robins sitting in a row on the fence too! They obviously love the cake & are telling their friends!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
We have a pair of balckbirds, our very own tame Robin, and the magpyes and doves, plus all the pigeons.

For brekkie they had cooked pasta, wild bird seeds, suet,porriage and sweetcorn, I've just looked out and its all gone

soon be lunch time
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
My Next door Neighbour has a small tree that overhangs our garden ( we've no plants due to Sasha eating them all . . !!!) so between my neighbour and us we put lots of fatballs and have the seed holders hanging from the now barren branches. We get Robins, Blue and Great Tits and Goldfinches feeding from them. My Neighbour also has a flatroofed shed which she puts allsorts on and she has Seagulls, Crows, Blackbirds and the Wagtails feeding off that.
I think we are doing our bit . . . hehehehehehehe
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
We've had 2 redwings this morning - I only know they are called that because hub pointed them out & we looked em up on the internet! yesterday 3 robins sitting in a row on the fence too! They obviously love the cake & are telling their friends!!
Wow! 3 robins all on the same fence!!! Watch out, there's gonna be a fight!!! They have their very own territories, and woe betide any other little robin that ventures into another one's territory, unless they're going to mate of course, then you'll have to have two won't you

I've just got back from a walk, and sadly, I saw two dead blackbirds, just lying in the snow on my walk They obviously didn't eat enough yesterday to keep them warm overnight, so I'm stepping up the food outside for my lot.

They're eating me out of house and home here! I still have that funny little wagtail bobbing about, loads and loads of blackbirds, some of them fighting and of course the little robin who's bossing them about, but I cannot understand we don't have any bluetits or coaltits anymore, whereas years ago we were inundated with them

I stopped doing the fatballs coz that seemed to attract the rats (I live in the country!) but I think I might start again with those. My birds only like those half coconut shells filled with the fat, they won't eat the fatballs Oh and talking of fatballs, please remember to take off that netting, coz they get their little feet stuck in it and you don't want that!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned or asked before....but if you want to put some bread out for the birds - does it need to be soaked first?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Apparently yes. I always run mine under the hot top for a few seconds just to soak the outside a bit, coz I think it swells up inside them otherwise?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >