Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
They should be able to do soemthing then I would have thought. They should have shelter/clean water and food
There is no law to say a pony needs shelter in a field or food..ie. hay or hard feed, if there is grass to eat.. water yes,,

But lets hope simply by them going out to see him, will make the owners think about his care.. if indeed he has any!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
They should be able to do soemthing then I would have thought. They should have shelter/clean water and food
Hope so, least I can keep an eye on him anyway.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
my ponies dont have shelter but its def against the law to leave him without water
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Taken from:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/co...nsultation.pdf

1.2 Not all horses will need a stable/housing. Some hardy breeds (such as native ponies) with thick coats are capable of living outdoors throughout the year, provided they can obtain shelter from the prevailing winds, summer sun and flies. Shelter can be natural (for example trees or hedges) or man-made (such as a field shelter) depending on the field environment and type of horse. However, where horses are of less hardy breeding (i.e. thoroughbreds), clipped, very young or elderly they may require stable accommodation / housing or other shelter to protect them from the cold and damp or very hot weather. Any horse may need stabling at short notice should they become sick or injured and provision should be made for this in advance of an emergency arising.

1.9 As a general rule, each horse requires a minimum of one to one and a half acres (or 0.4047 to 0.6 hectares) of good grazing if no supplementary feeding is being provided. However this will depend on the ground conditions, the time of year, type of horse and degree of pasture management employed. A smaller area may be appropriate where a horse is principally housed and grazing areas are used only for occasional turnout.
1.10 It is not always practical or possible to remove horses from fields or pastures which become muddy, however, it is essential that the horse does have a comfortable, well drained area on which to stand and lie down, and on which to be fed and watered.

1.17 Tethering can be defined as securing an animal by an appropriately attached chain, to a centre point or anchorage, causing it to be confined to a desired area. Tethering is not a suitable method of long-term management of an animal, as it restricts that animal’s freedom to exercise itself, to find food and water, or to escape from attacks by dogs or the extremes of hot and cold weather. It also risks an animal becoming entangled, or injuring itself, on tethering equipment. Tethering may be a useful as an exceptional short-term method of animal management during brief stops during a journey, to prevent danger to the animal, or to humans, whilst proper long-term arrangements are made, or in medical cases where short-term restriction of food intake is required under veterinary advice. The need for regular supervision is paramount. Tethered horses should be inspected no less frequently than every 6 hours during normal waking hours. More details on the conditions that should be met when horses are tethered are set out in Annex 1. The term ‘tethering’ as it is used in the Code does not apply to horses that are stall-tied (a common method of stabling cavalry horses). Any horse that is stall-tied should receive regular exercise, unless this method is used under veterinary guidance (e.g. as part of the management of an orthopaedic condition
This is how the Animal Welfare Act should be interpreted in relation to horses.
It says yes, that not ALL horses need shelter..but they should have natural shelter?? Nor does it sound like the tethering of this horse is legal? I suspect they may watch and see how long it is left tethered for?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Here he is:

Here is his foot but not a good pic, couldn't get a good one on my phone.

Saying hi to Star, she wasn't fussed, more interested in all his poop.

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
He might belong to travellers, they tend to just leave horses where they feel like it and not bother. At least you have alerted someone to him being there, hope something gets done x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:01 PM
He has shelter I think then with the trees...but the tetherin, judging from what I just read/posted is illegal unless he is being checked every 6 hours?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
most travellers do tether their horses but they do leave water. he has plent of grass and trees cant see what his feet where like in the pic but he doesnt look ike hes starved i wonder if they do take water to him but take it away cos he may kick it all over the place so they may bring up water to him but not leave it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
most travellers do tether their horses but they do leave water. he has plent of grass and trees cant see what his feet where like in the pic but he doesnt look ike hes starved i wonder if they do take water to him but take it away cos he may kick it all over the place so they may bring up water to him but not leave it
Surely thats wrong though? All animals should have access to clean water at all times?
He hsouldn't be tethered long term...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
You can't really see from the pics but he did look a bit 'ribby' but clearly yes, he is obviously being fed and watered at some point as he's been there a canny while.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >