View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 04:57 PM

whats best one dog or two (or 3,4,5,6....)

I know a similar thread has been on here before...I just cant find it!!

Were going to look at a puppy tomorrow evening and im really excited!!! We feel it will be better for Flower to have a friend....but I know many of you on here have more than one dog...is it better to have more? Have any of you ever had any trouble with your dogs being introduced to newcomers??

Cheers guys xxxxx
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I like having 4 wouldn't mind more, but I'm the only one in the House that thinks like that

I would always have more than 1 because I think its nice they have one of their own kind to play with etc
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I think it's nice to have several as they always have someone to play with and keep them company
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I think having more than one is great, I really do think that they thrive on the companionship of others of their own species. I also find that older dogs who have never lived with other dogs seem to have less socail skills with other dogs, sort of like they have forgotten how to communicate with them. I have 3 and plan to get one more (am waiting for a maltese puppy) and we also have the dogs of friends and family visit often.

I've never had any real problems introducing them and have found that they take to the newcomer really quickly, especially if its a puppy. Just make sure that when the new pup is in the room you give your older dog lots of extra fuss so that they assosiate the newcomers presence as a positive thing. They also might appreciate some time alone with you occasionally.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I used to have three, which was a nightmare as the eldest hated one of the younger ones, made life very miserable. I currently have one, but I agree - two or more is best.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I have two,maybe upto four when I breed from my bitch next year.
I want to keep a bitch pup,hubby has plans to keep a dog pup from the litter...

Mine get on great together,sleep and play together,which is great for my breed as they don't always tolerate other dogs.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Flower herself is still only a pup at 6 months, would this be a prob do you think?? xxxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Much prefer multi rather than one!
Becky
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I only have the one and I think he gets bored too easily and needs a friend, so I am hoping that we will soon have 2 dogs... in an ideal world I would have eight... four English setters, an Irish, a Gordon, an English Pointer and a Basset or Viszla
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:48 PM
i have 2, but would love to have loads more!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >