Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I don't expect people to take responsibility for my cat(s), I never have, but there has been a lot of unwritten "joy" on this thread by people who clearly hate cats. My dogs don't like strange cats, they would probably chase down and catch a strange cat on their property. I wouldn't blame them for it, it's their garden, but in the same breath I wouldn't go to the cat owners house, present them with their dead/injured cat and go "tough luck"! I just feel sad for people who wish harm on any animal, what sort of person do you have to be to think that way.

Oh and as for farmers, some are well known to be gun happy when it comes to dogs for the same reasons.
Completely 100% dogs get the same EXACT treatment..... In Texas there is a law that states any dog stray or pet can be dispatched if it shows it's teeth or messes with livestock. If I see a dog I'll try and return it to it's owner at the least or let it go about it's way if it isn't bothering me.

I'm not like some of the old school ranchers though who live by the three S's..... Shoot, shovel & shut up.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I'm intrigued. You have told us the bond your dogs have with you, but what sort of bond do you have with your dogs?

I only ask because throughout your posts so far, costs rather than compassion seems to shine through

Aside from spending all my time with them in the woods or at the house and feeding and training and working them on daily basis? You just bond after a while and you know what to expect from the dog and the dog knows what to expect from you.

If you have ever raised a dog from birth you will know the type of bond that can occur. Example: Took a trip across five states just last weekend just for one of my dogs. The youngest one at 9 months old. Guess what? He took his UBT test and passed..... All that hard work and training and bonding paid off.

You're right though it does get cost effective when property or livestock gets destructed and it does tick me off quite a bit. Has nothing to do with the bond between my dogs and myself.

So so we're clear on this the only animals I don't love is a rattlesnake & copperhead!!! I even got a favorite cat who absolutely loves leather boots so we call her bootsy.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jpepper View Post
Aside from spending all my time with them in the woods or at the house and feeding and training and working them on daily basis? You just bond after a while and you know what to expect from the dog and the dog knows what to expect from you.

If you have ever raised a dog from birth you will know the type of bond that can occur.

You're right though it does get cost effective when property or livestock gets destructed and it does tick me off quite a bit. Has nothing to do with the bond between my dogs and myself.

So so we're clear on this the only animals I don't love is a rattlesnake & copperhead!!! I even got a favorite cat who absolutely loves leather boots so we call her bootsy.
Thank you for your reply.

I do think that sometimes posts come across a little differently than we intend and rather than have an impression of someone based on that, it always seems better to ask a question
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 09:27 PM
No problem! I even edited my post to throw an example in there hahahaha! I worked with this pup since birth and he finally turned 9 months old and we took a trip across 5 states in one night, took the test that day and passed in woods he had never even been around. Judges said he was the most impressive dog there and it was the most exciting track made all day. Probably all the energy he needed to let out from the car ride! Just an example though I do care deeply about not only my animals but others. It's all the time, hard work & training that creates our bond and believe me these dogs would hunt their hearts out for me. Should see their faces light up each time you say the word hunt or pig.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Personally I am totally dismayed and in some cases shocked at some people's attitude towards another domestic pet.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Another problem is cats love to eat chicken or other birds on property and that's not cool at all and is cost consuming replacing them.

Keep your cats off my property and everything is fine. Can't keep control your cat? Well that's the pounds problem or mine and my dogs problem whoever gets them first.
I have chickens, I have never had my chickens attacked by cats....mine or other peoples
Heard it plenty coming from cat owners.... Oh my cat would never do such a thing. Yeah right.... You can't trash break a cat the way you can a dog.
Our dustbin is in the back garden...the cats never bother with the bags....rats will if they near
I know who and what I am but thanks though. Just don't have any respect for those type of people who buy a cat then let it roam free and reproduce especially, then get into chicken coops, stir your dogs crazy, poop in the yard(why does cat poop smell 10x worse then dog poop?) Just an annoyance and cost money for myself that I could spend elsewhere.

Especially a cat that will linger around a dogs kennel til the point where your dog has torn out claws trying to sratch thru the bottom of the kennel to dig out to get the cat. Another major cost that is a nuisance.

I've got nothing against cats just the lack of intelligence and common sense on their owners part. Not all of them though of course.
And yes I do own all of my animals. They know it too. Some of them are pets and some of them are straight working machines..... They were born for a specific job and they do that job very well because they know nothing else. And to be honest these animals get treated better then most peoples children. If you only knew the bond we hold these dogs would live or die for me seriously.
glad you said 'some'
All mine are neutered as are the ones who live in the area.

And I am one of those that can say, mine stay in their own garden, Im home all day and they are never far from the back door on sunny days, cooler days they ''choose'' to stay in
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I tried that and they weren't interested

We live in Ireland it must be different here.
I am also In Ireland. CPL should be able to give you contact details of people who TNR in your area. If you like to PM me the area where you live, I will attempt to try and find out who your nearest TNR contact/s are
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Personally I am totally dismayed and in some cases shocked at some people's attitude towards another domestic pet.
Me too VB.....shocked and quite gob smacked.

Makes you think...its not the dangers of cars, traps, trains etc., that cats need to be watchful of.....its some humans that worry me more
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Just so you know trash breaking is a hunting term. Not literally getting into the trash.

You're also from the UK as to where I'm from the US. Completely different worlds so how could you compare?

You can break a dog from getting after the cows or into the chicken coops but you can't do the same for a cat. At least I haven't seen any. It's natural for a cat to kill a bird.

I don't mind the cats who hunt the field mice same as the snakes their good to keep around..... But the house cats who come a stray and get into the chicken coops that is uncalled for.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have chickens, I have never had my chickens attacked by cats....mine or other peoples

Our dustbin is in the back garden...the cats never bother with the bags....rats will if they near

glad you said 'some'
All mine are neutered as are the ones who live in the area.

And I am one of those that can say, mine stay in their own garden, Im home all day and they are never far from the back door on sunny days, cooler days they ''choose'' to stay in
Excellent - good post
Page 17 of 23 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »