View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Query for those of you who use/have used a Black Dog Halter?

Just wondered how it compares with other headcollars such as the Dogmatic & Gentle Leader for instance...?

Does anyone have any experience of using the Black Dog halter on a dog that lunges a lot and is very big and strong...?

Cheers
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi Tabitha

I have a chocolate Lab who takes us land skiing if she doesn't wear a collar, it's a halti I've had for years but it does go up towards her eyes though so I am constantly watching it and moving it away from her eyes, it works wonders, like walking a different dog.

I have just bought a new one, a figure of 8 bridle, its a handmade leather one from essenjay, they sell them at crufts and it was recommended by my trainer, it doesn't go up to her eyes but does the same job, a bit more expensive but well worth it, I'd definitley invest in one if yours is headstrong as it will make walks a lot more of a pleasure for both of you xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I have experimented with practically all the head halters in the UK over the years, the choice of which to have is dependant on a number of factors, not least the dog's head, how it is fastened and if you need to take it on and off a lot.

The pluses of the Blackdog is that it is lighter than many, and it is particularly suited to short muzzled dogs such as boxers.

NO head halter will prevent ALL lunging, walking on the hind legs, etc etc IME.

I like it because it is neater than the others, the way it works means it can hang loosely if the dog is walking ok.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have experimented with practically all the head halters in the UK over the years, the choice of which to have is dependant on a number of factors, not least the dog's head, how it is fastened and if you need to take it on and off a lot.

The pluses of the Blackdog is that it is lighter than many, and it is particularly suited to short muzzled dogs such as boxers.

NO head halter will prevent ALL lunging, walking on the hind legs, etc etc IME.

I like it because it is neater than the others, the way it works means it can hang loosely if the dog is walking ok.

Thanks SB

Yes I agree no headcollar will stop all the problems, but certainly they enable me to walk Dexter safely and then reward for calm behaviour. I appreciate your comments and it sounds like the Black Dog halter is worth trying
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lovesgsds View Post
Hi Tabitha

I have a chocolate Lab who takes us land skiing if she doesn't wear a collar, it's a halti I've had for years but it does go up towards her eyes though so I am constantly watching it and moving it away from her eyes, it works wonders, like walking a different dog.

I have just bought a new one, a figure of 8 bridle, its a handmade leather one from essenjay, they sell them at crufts and it was recommended by my trainer, it doesn't go up to her eyes but does the same job, a bit more expensive but well worth it, I'd definitley invest in one if yours is headstrong as it will make walks a lot more of a pleasure for both of you xx

Many thanks - I use a Dogmatic headcollar but we have a slight sizing problem, so I'm looking for something else

I agree with you about the Halti, I only used it once and thought it was awful!
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Many thanks - I use a Dogmatic headcollar but we have a slight sizing problem, so I'm looking for something else

I agree with you about the Halti, I only used it once and thought it was awful!
I'd have a look at figure 8, it adjusts and as she hand makes them you can measure your dog and she'll make it to size, hope you get sorted xx
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 03:17 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about the Black Dog, Training Collar, from several different sources. and in the week that I've had it, I'm really impressed with it. Oliver's not as big as a Lab (40lbs) but his lunging has some power behind it. He fights every other head collar I've tried on him, he never fought the Black Dog. Worth the money, imo

I paid 36 pounds for the halter, the double ended halter lead and a connecter strap... plus 8.50 pounds shipping