Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
He is blind and he's only 3!! I know he's still able to learn as he's learnt so much in the 2 1/2 yrs I've had him
3 is "too old"?! I would definately get a second opinion!
I wonder if it would be worth contacting someone with specific experience in blind dogs, not quite sure how you'd find them but their advice may be a bit more relevant to Bailey's behaviour
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
3 is "too old"?! I would definately get a second opinion!
I wonder if it would be worth contacting someone with specific experience in blind dogs, not quite sure how you'd find them but their advice may be a bit more relevant to Bailey's behaviour
Perhaps talks to Sara'n'Scout on here - I know she has experience with visually impared dogs as well as deaf dogs.

I agree with Karly - 3 is not old at all, being retriever cross he's just got out his puppy stage (I think thats right with Retrievers)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Can I just clarify something, did you get over the phone advice from a member of the APBC or the APDT?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Can I just clarify something, did you get over the phone advice from a member of the APBC or the APDT?
APBC:

http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions/area/21

Katie Patmore CQSW

I understood her to mean that as his behaviour is ingrained by now and with his lack in sight he was now too old to train the behaviour out of him as it is the only way he knows to defend himself, as he can't see the other dogs body language so I need to look at aversive tactics instead.

I agree he's not too old to learn especially with the wolfhound in him he'll be just starting to mature
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
APBC:

http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions/area/21

Katie Patmore CQSW

I understood her to mean that as his behaviour is ingrained by now and with his lack in sight he was now too old to train the behaviour out of him as it is the only way he knows to defend himself, as he can't see the other dogs body language so I need to look at aversive tactics instead.

I agree he's not too old to learn especially with the wolfhound in him he'll be just starting to mature
I would speak to Sara anyway - she isn't a trainer as such but has many videos of her training she could show you. And she is experienced with the VI and deaf dogs.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3