Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Is it a Fluval Elite ?

Hannah has wanted a few tropical fish (something I would oversee) forages. She's had various goldfish types in the past but i think she's old enough now to give it a go and it's her birthday in a few weeks.

Having been and looked at a few this particular tank seemed about right for us.

What shocked me though were some of the 'minimum tank size required' notes against the different types of fish. Obviously fish grow but so many required a tank far bigger than I wanted.

I'm also trying to get my head around which fish make good 'tank mates' etc etc.

Very addictive !
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Is it a Fluval Elite ?

Hannah has wanted a few tropical fish (something I would oversee) forages. She's had various goldfish types in the past but i think she's old enough now to give it a go and it's her birthday in a few weeks.

What shocked me though were some of the 'minimum tank size required' notes against the different types of fish. Obviously fish grow but so many required a tank far bigger than I wanted.

I'm also trying to get my head around which fish make good 'tank mates' etc etc.

Very addictive !

Hi

I dont think its a Fluval Elite im not sure to be honest just know its an elite 60 tropical aquarium. i have only got small fish which are danios and rummy noses and they get on ok, going to try for some more smaller ones in a few weeks.

Good luck if you choose to go for a tropical tank and fish they are very nice to watch.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:21 PM
This one ?

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-high-60l.html
Yes thats the one.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:01 PM
This one ?

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-high-60l.html
It is a good kit because it comes with everything. Apart from water and fish obviously.

Great for a first fish tank.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-02-2010, 06:02 PM
i would get the rummy noses up to a shoal of 6 and then i wouldn't add much more to that size of tank

a colourful centrpiece such as dwarf gourami could be added if you increased your water changes to 50% per week

what dechlorinator do you use
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
i would get the rummy noses up to a shoal of 6 and then i wouldn't add much more to that size of tank

a colourful centrpiece such as dwarf gourami could be added if you increased your water changes to 50% per week

what dechlorinator do you use
i wouldnt do a 50% water change, it depends on what the tap water is like round where you are, but if i did that my fish would suffer more as the tap water is shocking even when treated. Smaller water changes are better
ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
i wouldnt do a 50% water change, it depends on what the tap water is like round where you are, but if i did that my fish would suffer more as the tap water is shocking even when treated. Smaller water changes are better
ATD x
Likewise. That would be a lot of water to take out even for heavily stocked tanks, especially each week.

I personally do a 25% water change every 2 weeks on my 60 litre which for the number of fish I have in it, is perfectly adequate. The filter I use is a bit better than the one in the Elite though, which helps.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Is it a Fluval Elite ?

Very addictive !
Work out what size tank you can have then go to agood fish shop and ask what fish are suitable for community living...in my one local fish shop the fish are labeled on tank as to community or not.....and if a first fis tank look at a 2nd hand one loads of people give up fish keeping you can get
some good bargains for a fraction of the cost.

Live bearers are interesting for children as you have to work hard to stop them breeding.... ....it can be addictive though.

Welcome to the world of fish.

Karen
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
unfortunately due to extensive house renovations coming up i've had to rehome them just now

however, i've had malawis, livebearers, more recently a breeding pair of discus....at one point i had 5 tanks on the go...
I have never got to 5 tanks had 3 on the go but hard work.
I have got Malawis at the moment but winding down. I have loved them and my shell dwellers...(smaller tank) but moving back to live bearers specifically sailfin mollies I think.....I really like them they are big enough to be a centre piece fish when treated right, so back I will go I need to find a few decent ones to start again.

They love the tank size too which is 5ft long by 2ft high 2ft wide and they appreciate the length of the tank, the tank holds approx 124 gallons. Got to get it
cleaned out and up and running again. I stopped using it about a month ago.

The smaller tank is going at the moment this is 3ft x 24 high 24 wide. Not keeping this one running when the last of the occupants go just waiting for someone to collect my last few Malawis from it this weekend. May use it again as a holding tank...for juvinilles... not sure.

I like Discus a friend had one who ate from his hand never kept them myself not a big enough tank.

What do you think you will go back to when you get up and running again?
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >