Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aaron
New Member!
Male 

21-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Can I just ask why you cook the meat for your dog ?

I have tried feeding her with the meat raw but she doesnt seem to take to it as well, I understand I could be cooking many nutrients out of the food so to keep this to a minimum i use a minimal amount of water to heat the meat in, and rather than strain i prefer to evaporate as much of the water as possible (i was amazed at the amount of fats taken away by straining) and the little excess water remaining is soaked up into a little cereal that i mix in before i let it cool. Once cooled I then add a little more cereal, this is just used as rufige make her poo solid and she likes to crunch while eating
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-12-2007, 11:28 AM
My Boxer gets three walks per day (and he needs them!).

We're up and out the door at 6.30am and get back at 7.30am. He gets half a pouch of Nature Diet and some James Wellbelloved kibble.

At 12.00pm, I walk him again until 2.00pm. This involves lots of off the leash running in the countryside.

Then, at 6.00pm. he comes with me as I lock up my school, then we have a game of football on the school field. He then gets the rest of his Nature Diet with more kibble.

Finally, at about 10.00pm, he goes out for a quick run and a wee.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm out at 7.30 (as soon as it gets light!) with Georgie, and we don't do a long walk coz he just couldn't take it, so we go up on the green and meet all the local dogs where he spends most of his time lying down or sniffing around eating rabbit poo, or chatting to the other doglets up there, I don't know why I bother sometimes!!! He then gets a pavement walk around the village if he's lucky before lunch. He gets fed after our morning walk, then again at lunchtime, sleeps all afternoon and then has a main meal at around 5 o'clock. I would never, ever feed just the once a day coz I've always had big dogs, big chests (lol not me!!!)and I'm frightened of them getting bloat, so I like to split it into 3, but that's my personal taste.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Mine are fed first thing inthe morning & about 5,30 at night. Have fed twice a day for years on vets reccommendation since I lost a dog with torsion.
Walks vary as I can't walk them so it depends who is doing it but never less than two hours after a meal & at least half an hour before one.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 01:46 PM
My two are walked from roughly 8.45am till 10.15am.
They get 15 to 20 min at 3pm and occasionally another walk later in the evening (though not so much in these dark nights).

Food is once a day, usually in the evening, but I try to vary the times.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 11:37 PM
We have two routines really, one for when I'm home, one when I'm at work.

Isla always gets up whenever my Mam gets up as she knows she'll get fed (some nights she's on my bed, sometimes in the kitchen).

Once fed my Mam will have a 10 minute walk down the road to pick up the papers and then if I'm off work I'll get up and take her out for a good walk (approx 1hr).

After the walk she'll have a tripe stick and then either kip or have a play.

Then she'll have her afternoon/evening walk (again approx 1 hr), followed by her tea and then a trip out to the garden before bed!

If I'm at work she'll stay at home with my Dad and have a run out with the ball in the late morning and again early evening and then she'll have her tea and off to the garden and bed as usual.

I have to say I'd rather feed twice a day, but sometimes it is better for the dog to be fed once a day. Pickles was a prime example of this. Being such a fussy dog meant that if he was fed twice a day he wouldn't eat much as he wasn't truely hungry. Feeding once in the evening meant he was really hungry and therefore far more likely to eat everything put in front of him.

Each to their own I say!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2007, 11:52 PM
My lot all go for a run along the beach or around my local park for about an hour at 6am, then again at midday, then again at around 5pm, have dinner at around 6pm and then go out again at 9pm and then just before I go to bed at around 1am.

I do the 6am and the last walk, but Michelle does the others if I'm not about or really busy.

Oh and they only eat raw meat like chicken, sheeps heads and horse meat. In the summer they also get it frozen as it not only takes them longer to eat but it also cools them down as well.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 12:33 AM
I get up at 7,30 every morning the dogs get fed at 8 ,
Then they get walked about 9,30 10 oclock ,
Then i go to work there walked agin at lunch time ,
Then im back to work they get fed agin at 4,30 5,oclock
They also get dog treats and scraps .
Then walked again at 6,/6,30 .
They also have free reign of our garden ,and there is also a field at the back of my house which they get an hour off lead exercise on everyday .

xxdk
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2007, 08:42 AM
6 am - get up and walk - 2 of us so 3 or 4 each - normally road work, particularly in the winter
7,30 am - breakfast - depends on what we've got in as to what they have there is no fixed feeding type, could be raw, could be complete.

we then go to work

about midday the dog sitter comes in and spends an hour with them inthe garden (weather permitting) playing ball etc.

home at 5.30 ish and more walking - if nice then up the field conveniently next door.

tea about 6 pm - again depends entirely on what's in.

bed time happens at about 10.00 pm when they get a biscuit or some form of treat
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't have a routine! They get fed when I get up in the morning - Wainwrights dried food. I work Monday to Wednesday so they either go out in the morning if I can get up in time or in the evening when I get home. The rest of the week they get a good 2 hr walk once a day in their favourite woods or at the beach. They get a second meal Naturediet around 5 - 6 ish. I prefer to feed mine twice a day as Bassets are susceptible to bloat and I don't like feeding my dogs only once a day.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >