Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I am on a babyboard forum and someone just asked me if I was getting rid of my dog now due to the rottie attack ???

EH???

thats the kind of people and what there comprehension is of dog behaviour etc.
I was asked the same in the park this morning(I havent got a baby on board!) , the stupid woman said 'in light of the baby attack shouldnt you get rid of your dog, he is one of the dangerous breeds'
To start with how bl**dy dare she! 'get rid' is a horrid thing to say, and secondly Greg has been around a 3 week old baby (supervised of course) and has been incredably gentle, it came naturally we didnt even have to tell him off once, the baby even touched his nose and he just sat there all pleased. Thirdly im alot more dangerous than my dog and one day im really gonna snap!
Anyway sorry to rant but people make me angry.
Im all up for a licence and an IQ test is a great idea some numpty that cant even dress them selves can go and buy a dog and that is scary. unfortunately it would as everything else does, cost us, the responsible ones, a small fortune to get one if the gov have anything to do with it.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I can't see they would be able to police dog licenses. They used to have them years ago when there wasn't half the amount of dogs there is now and not many bothered to get one.
It would only be the very resposible owners that get them not the majority of like to look tough lads and young men out with thier staffs and now staff x akitas and staff x shar-pei. They just want to see who can get the most aggresive, which is so sad for the dogs.
I often wonder what would happen to my girl in another home, with these lads she would probaly have been destroyed now or killed on the road, in another inexperienced home she would probaly have been rehomed god knows how many times.
She is actually a big softy and will kiss anyone but does suffer with fear aggression with traffic and because of being bitten and nipped at on several occasions with some other dogs until she is sure they won't hurt her although Border Collies she will not accept. Running screaming children also worry her so big precautions are needed there.
Because of her size she is very strong to hold when upset, but I work around her and find ways of exercising her without stressing her if possible. She has a secure home here for life, where we will work on her problems to overcome what we can for her.
I think if owners realise thier dogs problems and are honest about them then less accidents would arise from them. They are dogs after all not humans so don't understand as we do.

As Patch can verify if you was to meet her as you approached her you would be in terrible danger of being slobbered to death she is such a big softy at heart just scared of certain things, but arn't we all. I freak at spiders and slugs.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes I Think Its A Good Idea After All Most Dogs Will Benefit From Some Trianing
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:04 AM
This would be hard to introduce and police, with so many dogs in the U.K haveing to be tested and I guess the other problem would be what happens to the dogs whos owners are unable to pass the test ??
It would be the owners that would be tested not the dogs & we are talking here of before you get a dog. This would mean breeders would have to report where there puppies have gone & could help to stop puppy farmers & if a dog transgressed the owner would then have to show by doing a course & test that they were able to control their dogs & had some knowledge of behaviour

The test would be voluntary for existing dog owners & compulsory for new ones

We are talking education instead of dragconian laws

Won't happen of course
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Having a licence for the dog also training as well is a good idea but how is it all going to be policed and enforced what punishment are they going to give for not having or refusing to get a licence or training.

Is the licence per dog other wise some people could be paying out a lot. Also standard fee or does it go on size of dog like the car the bigger engine you got the more tax you pay.

What standard of training to be achieved how long to attend as well as you know not all dogs are the same and some take in things quicker than others like we do and the licence will pay for it all.

Spaces for the training as well what happens if you can not get a space on a training program could be a lengthy wait in some areas.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm not talking about Dog Licences but Dog Owning Licences ie the owner has to be licenced before they can own a dog & them having to past a test not the dogs

Dog licences will never work I know people would couldn't tell the difference between my cavaliers despite them having differnce markings & being different sizes ! It doesn't work 100% anywhere even in countries were the dogs have to wear licence tags how would anyone know the dog was wearing it's own tag ?
clairetaylor89
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I think it would be a good idea...but the question is...will it work. U no what the government is like, they will use the idea to take in more money.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
This would be hard to introduce and police, with so many dogs in the U.K haveing to be tested and I guess the other problem would be what happens to the dogs whos owners are unable to pass the test ?? rescue??PTS??

I think it would be nigh on impossible to police retrospectively, but for future owners, having to prove themselves *before* they get a pet would be ideal, espeially if they had to produce confirmation of `passing` before a breeder or rescue was allowed to let them have an animal [ whichever species relevent ]. That would not mean any animals bein pts or rescued though some already owned by many certainly need rescuing thats for sure
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post

As Patch can verify if you was to meet her as you approached her you would be in terrible danger of being slobbered to death she is such a big softy at heart just scared of certain things, but arn't we all.
I can absolutely verify that, as I appear to be one of her favourite slobber targets - I swear her eyes light up at the prospect of mugging me for cuddles cos she knows I will comply

Despite her understandable wariness of Collies, she did *great* on introduction to my Silk - perhaps because she is white, short coated, and slight built, so not typical of the `look` Shady is concerned about though it was clear she recognised her facially as Collie but after a little hesitation at that point she was willing to give Silk the benefit of the doubt and relaxed considerably - one Collie down, a few thousand to go
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I'm not talking about Dog Licences but Dog Owning Licences ie the owner has to be licenced before they can own a dog & them having to past a test not the dogs
Sorry JoedeeUK i thought you meant the old licence scheme.

Even with he proposed scheme that you suggest would that licence cover one dog or certain amount of dogs for one person to own?
If we go down that line the breeders would have to have special licences for them to have so many dogs. Pups produce in litters are to be sold but until they are the said pups are the breeders own dogs.
Even for show kennels/ greyhound racing kennels/ hunt packs all need different licences I think it's just to complicated to enforce and the licence that would be payable would be to high for most to pay especially those on income support.
Just got to cover so many bases with this you got the disadvantaged people like blind, deaf, dumb, disabled people with severe learning disabilites to get this training across to.
Then you got people that use dogs to make their life better hearing dogs, blind dogs all to assessed as well as all the other people who will get this training the waiting list would be massive to say the least.

PS not having a go @ you Jodee uk even tho it's great idea i just don't see how it all can be implemeted so everyone does it and not just a few.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >