Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:20 PM

New Law for dogs ( licence & training ) for dog owners

I have heard on the news that members of parliment are discussing a training and licence option for dog owners after the terrible accident where 2 rotts killed a baby.

I think that a minimum level of training would be a good idea for most breeds and a higher level for dogs that are large and have strong work/guard/prey drives

You can't take a car on the road unless you pass a test
it could be a good thing if you needed to pass a test and be licenced to own a dog prior to purchase of large breeds.
this could be applied to all dogs with the test being more advanced for some dogs and less so for smaller dogs.

The only problem is that all dogs are individuals, I know some rotts/mastiffs that are wooosssy
and some labs/collies........terriers are demons
would be intresting to see how this would work. Would need to sit a test prior to purchase? if so would it work?

could they devise a test which would depending on how high you score gives you a choice of dogs you are capable of owning? with only high scores being licenced for some dogs and for toy breeds ........ a lower score is alright??

this however would put the goverment in the possision of being responsable if they passed peeps that then go on to have dogs that attack

I think though this will be applied to dogs classed as Guard dogs, privately owned.

The chap that owns the pub may come under some heavy legal pressure if he has stated the dogs are guard dogs, he is running a business from the premises, and its more than likely that he is unaware of legal requirments for owning gaurd dogs
The dogs used for guard/patrol work in business already must be licenced and have insurance,
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:24 PM
I think it's a great idea, and one that I would of liked to seen come in years ago.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:26 PM
this is one of the arguments I used today when someone said to me isn't it terrible about those rotties. I said they shouldn't have mentioned the breed, it is regardless... i wouldn't trust a Chihuahua to be left with a 5 month old baby, and just because they are 'guard dogs' which they aren't they are pets should mean someone should be held responsible for the death of 3 innocent souls.

i think the licensing thing is a good idea, however it might just turn into a money making scheme for the government and not do a thing to help us with idiot dog owners. Not sure how it would be policed.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I do think its a good idea but dont forget small breeds can be every bit as complex / difficult as large. They just dont get in to the news like the big dogs as the media cant demonise a snappy Chihuahua [ for instance ], like they can a Rottie.
If Lassie or other `lovable doggy saviour` types in film and TV had been portrayed by a Rottie or other Mastiff, or a Staffie, etc, those breeds woud not all be likened to `hell hounds` every time there was an incident, like the portrayal of Rotts in old horror films etc which so many people think of when something is splashed across the headlines.

Any dog with teeth, big or small, can do serious damage if driven to it one way or another or if its particular character traits are ignored, [ no dog bites for no reason ].

All breeds / mixes have traits and characters which need to be understood by prospective owners so I think tests should pertain to them each specifically, rather than be harder or easier based on a dogs size etc, with the proviso that not all dogs have the same strength of breed traits and many dogs are likened to completely different breeds like the Staffie we have at agility who we often refer to as a Collie in disguse .
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:46 PM
yeah i think thats a good idea but i carnt quite see how its gonna work ,still as yet nothings set in stone ,but i will be interested to see what comes of it .
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:20 PM
This was a sad thing to happen but as always a hysterical knee jerk reaction, lets put out some more restrictions, or shall we have another tax or may be yes I know a new rule...

All the striories will re surface about how this and that person was killed by a dog, owner savaged in his rocking chair ext. ext. ext.
The rottie rescues will fill up loonies will run riot..

ooo sory rant over, havent posted for ages !! This story and the news about it just got the better of me.

I have a rootiexstaff barrrrrr
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
This was a sad thing to happen but as always a hysterical knee jerk reaction, lets put out some more restrictions, or shall we have another tax or may be yes I know a new rule...

All the striories will re surface about how this and that person was killed by a dog, owner savaged in his rocking chair ext. ext. ext.
The rottie rescues will fill up loonies will run riot..

ooo sory rant over, havent posted for ages !! This story and the news about it just got the better of me.

I have a rootiexstaff barrrrrr

If there had been this sort of thing years ago though, people wold be so much better educated now, far less people getting dogs they simply cant handle, people causing less problems in their own dogs, less dogs being dumped in rescues and worse, less people allowing children to torment dogs, more people understanding dogs have feelings and will defend themselves when necessary, the list could go on.

Anyone knowing their stuff would breeze through tests and anyone who doesnt *needs* tests and restrictions until they are able to pass.

Surely you can see that would benefit all dogs [ and other animals of course ], if it means them going to homes where they are less likely to be abused, neglected, and all the other dreadful things done to them which make their lives a misery, or are so misunderstood that tragedies happen which costs dogs in particular, their lives ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I really like your idea i.e.quote:
could they devise a test which would depending on how high you score gives you a choice of dogs you are capable of owning? with only high scores being licenced for some dogs and for toy breeds ........ a lower score is alright??unquote

Unfortunately our government aren't intelligent enough to think up such a plan imo! Wouldn't it be great if only knowledgeable people who are in total control of their dogs would be allowed to own any type of dog who could do serious damage to someone. I'm up for it!!! It would certainly weed out the incompetent wan*ers who shouldn't be anywhere near a dog! Oh for an ideal World
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I can see how people think its a good idea to have training and licenses etc... But I still think the decent people who look after their dogs properly are the ones who will comply. The nutters who own these so called "dangerous dogs" will continue to do so without a care about licenses and training etc. Just as they do with cars etc
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
I can see how people think its a good idea to have training and licenses etc... But I still think the decent people who look after their dogs properly are the ones who will comply. The nutters who own these so called "dangerous dogs" will continue to do so without a care about licenses and training etc. Just as they do with cars etc
I've believed for many years that owners should be required to hold a licence before they can get a dog & if you don't have a licence you can't have a dog. Simple as that it is all too easy to get a dog & then start breeding etc with absolutely no real knowledge of dogs at all

Just had a friend visit who believes you have to forcibly show every dog it's place with the use of a choker & harsh handling. He's a really nice bloke, but so very very old fashioned & fortunately he doesn't have any dogs anymore. He was horrified that I train my puppy off lead & don't use a chain choker or any compulsion He's a quailified trainer as well
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >