Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lozzy100
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2007, 11:58 AM

breeding

Hi Guys

Just wondering on what you all think about this.

A few ppl i know, who have gone too look at puppies, say they were appauled at some breeders, as they had several dogs, now some breeders keep their brooding bitches in cages and only take them out to feed and let them pee, i myself find this concerning, there is one lady who has several cages stacked ontop of another, a wall long and nearly ceiling high,, how can they get away with this? too me i think these breeders are in it just for the money, yes they know about their dogs, they do all the testing etc etc,,,but is this the way dogs should be treated, i think NOT, ok this may not be a puppy farm,,but surely the way these dogs are treated it is just as bad....anyway your veiws would be great. Also i think that the rspca should inspect breeders and ensure they are all being kept in a loving manner,,not like money making machines.

Hugs Loz x
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I think that as long as the dogs look healthy the rspca cannot do anything.

I also know some big people in the show world who keep dogs kennelled all day and night except for excercise and grooming, which to me is as bad, but unfortunately this is not a rare thing in the dog world. They are not kept as pets they are there business. It happens and i don't think much can be done as long as they are fit, healthy and fed. Its sad really.
Lozzy100
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
It makes me feel sick to the stomache, how can they say they are pationate about their breeds, when they treat them in such appauling ways, there should be laws against this,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 12:24 PM
In my breed very few dogs in show coats are adequately exercised because they don't want to risk damaging the coat. I'd rather my dogs were happy on a decent walk. Also I know some people keep white breeds on paper or cotton so they don't stain their coats.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
In my breed very few dogs in show coats are adequately exercised because they don't want to risk damaging the coat. I'd rather my dogs were happy on a decent walk. Also I know some people keep white breeds on paper or cotton so they don't stain their coats.
Becky

I've heard in Dachshunds too, they don't want to build up muscle that would make them tip the scales.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
Here here - Couldn't agree with you more - the state my boys get in (alright not quite the same as a poodle coat!) Paper or cotton!! The mind boggles Becky!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Where Ollie comes from the breeder treats her dogs foremost as pets which is the main reason why we chose her,they have the run of the house except for those who need to be split for being in season or having issues with other dogs then they are alternated into large outside runs.
They have dirty dusty coats most of the time unless being shown becasue they roam the grounds and are allowed to be dogs and Family pets and all the dogs have wonderful temperaments and I am sure it is because of this.
We noticed how happy and carefree they are and how much they love her and she loves them.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
i know what you mean lozzy ....its very sad to see isn't it but sadly it happens far to often someone i know someone who had a litter born this week this breeder has bred 5 litters since i have known her all C sections leaves me wondering ....

bad breeders like you talked about don't always last long in small circles once word gets round ( and the dog world is very small ) a word travells like wildfire all we can do is point out to others that this is going on
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I've heard in Dachshunds too, they don't want to build up muscle that would make them tip the scales.
Ah that explains why Percy is 'overweight' hadn't thought of that one lol!
Becky
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
exercise is an important part of any breeding an overweight or unfit bitch could have welping problems.....I am not the greatest walker mine don;t go out everyday but spend all day in the garden if they wish even when its freezing LOL
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »