Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ragga_dood
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-11-2004, 11:05 PM

American Bulldogs and th DDA

Hi, I am new to this forum, and thought I would like to post a topic which concerns my main kept breed, American Bulldogs, and I found this while browsing,

Canine Legislation Update,

http://www.endangereddogs.com/EDDRDDAUpdateUK.htm

The main crux of the story is,

"Q1. Can you please confirm whether the American Bulldog, a separate breed from the American Pit Bull Terrier, falls under Section One of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991?

A. Under section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 it is an offence to own, etc any dog of the type known as the Pit Bull Terrier. As you know, neither the "Pit Bull Terrier" nor the "American Bulldog" are recognised breeds in this country. As in all cases, the issue as to whether an "American Bulldog" is considered to be a pit bull type would depend on the individual dog in question and would be ultimately for a court to decide."

So from what I read, the American Bulldog is no more a "pibull type", than a large staff or a staff x Labrador, unless a "COURT DECIDES", hmmn!

I think we're safe at the moment, but for how long?

Thanks
Harry

Support Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue Ltd, they have been campaigning against the Dangerous Dogs Act legislation over the past ten years.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2004, 11:17 PM
To be honest i was deeply concerned when the stories started last year about the DDA adding the AB to the act, but i have looked into it the research and questions and converstions with other AB owners/breeders took months to put my mind at rest.

And to be honest all they are is just stories
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-11-2004, 11:51 PM
As far as I know no major changes have been made to the act since it first came out (?)..
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2004, 11:55 PM
And to be honest Eraze i dont think any major changes are on the horizon, even in the longterm
ragga_dood
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-11-2004, 12:02 AM
They have banned Staffies in Germany, along with Pitbull Terriers and American Staffordshire terriers, and Hessen
http://www.hanau.army.mil/414BSB/FIG...in_germany.htm have listed American Bulldogs, along with 15 other very popular breeds as "Fighting" or "dangerous" breeds, it does make me think how easy it must be for someone, sitting behind a desk, to pick any breed, for whatever reason (bred to fight, yeeeawn!), and decide to (or try to) make it extinct! I couldn't sleep at night if I had that job! The most dangerous dog I have ever seen is my neighbour's Yorkshire terrier, it has bit me twice, bit the owners and their two kids! It has also flown into my AB BOB, it will attack anything! Heart of a Lion, body of a mouse, good job they are only little, otherwise we'd all be in trouble!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Luckily in the uk there are four banned breeds, hopefully things will stay that way.
Although the AB is becomming a very popular breed right now so it would be extremely difficult i think for the DDA to add this breed to the act, as thousands of owners would be in complete uproar, as AB`s are not as *rare* as they were 5-6 years ago. So the fact that they are becomming a popular breed, especially for families this in its self helps the AB a great deal plus theres not one single report of an AB attack or bite incident, so this is also a great deal of help with the so called AB issue.
The stories concerning the AB and the DDA as stated are complete and utter rubbish, we shouldnt belive every single thing we read.
ragga_dood
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-11-2004, 12:41 AM
The story I originally posted regarding AB's in the UK, verifies what you say, I posted this to make other AB owners aware of where they stand with the Law, not to frighten anybody, the problem with the DDA is the "Pitbull type" reference, where you can own a dog that is not specifically listed (of the four that are), and still be "illegal" because of "pitbull type". I am not saying that AB's are pitbull type, having owned both breeds I know full well they are not, but I have no end of people coming on to me saying "Pitbull is it mate?", is this ignorance or does my dog look like a pitbull to the unknowing? This is what got me to post this thread.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-11-2004, 12:45 AM
A lady who works in the local rescue asked me if there was pit in my Presa Canario Pup! lol

I laughed at her and said, do you think he would be this big if there was?
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Theres quite a few AB owners that post on here, myself included, any responsible AB owner is i am sure fully aware of where they stand regarding the law.
Most AB strains differ an awful lot in looks, my Hines bred girl is not an overly big dog, shes extremly lean and has a hell of a lot of muscle luckily where i live ABs are quite a popular breed, i have never had one single person ask me what she is, they always seem to know that shes an AB.

The confusion i get over my OTB is another matter.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-11-2004, 12:59 AM
post more piccies Whiz! feels like yonks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >