View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I think however many positive rewards she had used on Herbie, she wouldn't have achieved any better results or bonded any better with him. Personally I don't consider her handling of him aggressive, just very firm and very determined that he was not going to "top-dog" her. If he had shown any signs of fear or abject submission, I might think differently, but he didn't - confident and happy all the way through.

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 04:53 PM
A reminder, this programme is being shown again tonight.

BBC2 - 6.10pm
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I don't particularly want to drag this thread on if people have had their say, but just wanted to comment to AnneUK that I watched again, and not once did Barbara Sykes raise a hand to Herbie as was suggested. I still thoroughly approve of her methods and the results.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I watched the programme though and although it's been said several times, I didn't hear that the dog Herbie had killed sheep.

Can anyone actually confirm hearing this? I have recorded it but suspect it's been recorded over by now

I don't believe he killed sheep, he was a chaser and had not killed unless anyone can say differently for sure? :smt001

Wys
x
I said earlier I hadn't watched this programme so went off the OP which said about the beardie which was a sheep killer. Either way he was a danger to sheep and the same outcome would have applied
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I might have picked it up wrong. I thought it had been said on an ealier thread. I said earlier I hadn't watched this programme. Either way he was a danger to sheep and the same outcome would have applied
Did you manage to watch it last night Megan57?

It did say that Herbie was a potential sheep killer ... just for the record!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I did watch the programme and I didn't see anywhere where the dog was hit or treated in an aggressive manner.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi, when I posted that I'd seen this programme advertised, there was a bit on bbc breakfast news about it, and I'm sure they said that Herbie was a sheep killer, this is what interested me, how to train a dog to herd sheep instead of kill them, obviously from the programme he wasn't, maybe I miss heard, in which case I did Herbie a misjustice, but maybe they said it just to 'sell' the programme, also I'm sure there was a bit when he was in the sand circle bit and she was playing ball with him, and he was shaking it, she said something about he could kill a sheep!, it's a long time ago for my memory now when I watched the programme I was waiting for sheep killer bit to be mentioned but they didn't!
Christine
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Must agree with"Megan57collies"
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Did you manage to watch it last night Megan57?

It did say that Herbie was a potential sheep killer ... just for the record!

Aahh, so sheep killer was mentioned, but there's a world of difference between 'potential' and 'is a', thank goodness for that, I thought I'd lost me all me marbles there for a while
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Not really into this debate, but a few questions please to those who work dogs this way.

If there is no time for vocal praise and voice is not used, why were so many verbal corrections given?

Is it usual to use long line with a flat collar? In one sequence the dog forcefully hit the end of the line and my guess (but I will stress that this is an assumption on my part) is that this happened frequently during training, hence more than verbal corrections taking place.

I think I've seen that a few of you know/have worked with the trainer? How's the dog doing now? Does he work away from the trainer/owner's land - is he walked away from the land in sheep areas? Does the training hold, ie is the training generalised?

What was lovely to see was that this guy now has a home and is doing a job he loves.
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >