register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 16 of 28 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
don't beat yourself up, Meg is a farm bred working springer no papers nada, cracking working dog though, and no she won't be going anywhere when she's retired, we'll just get a pup from one of the working kennels that does health check and i know a few
Thanks Lizzy. I'm afraid I will always blame myself but it's OK as I have learnt from my mistake and like to do my bit to help others learn from it too.

You are my first port of call when we get our next Springer, that's for sure!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think many people who seriously work sheep are going to worry one iota if the dog is KC standard or not---why should they?
I didnt say they should!

It is the show people who need to prove a point.Dog showing is on a par with baby shows to many people who do work their dogs.
really! what point do I have to prove?

and what of us that show and do some form of work with our dogs? all be it sporting forms of work these days? If working dog owners feel better about there dogs by slagging off show dogs, so be it,
I often find in life, when people say negative things about one group of dog owners in an effort to make themselfs feel/look better, then its because they cant bring anything else to the table.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks Lizzy. I'm afraid I will always blame myself but it's OK as I have learnt from my mistake and like to do my bit to help others learn from it too.

You are my first port of call when we get our next Springer, that's for sure!
does that mean you're going to rescue one
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
does that mean you're going to rescue one
Without question! We just need to wait for 'Kevin' to grow up and to move into a bigger house, so in a few years time if you can stick around that long ;o)

My husband has bumped into one of your volunteers a few times recently on walks BTW. Sorry for the TJ.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Totally agree Moobli - there is no easy solution and people will always be attracted by a fluffy pup and collie pups are very cute. My thought regarding cost was perhaps people would think more if they had to dig deeper into their pockets. I don't think any dog whatever the breed, pedigree or not, should be bought cheaply - the price is actually a very small part of the real cost, including responsibility, of owing a dog.
I do know what you mean, honestly I do, but unfortunately I can't see it happening Collies pups are ten to the dozen if you know where to look, they come at a quarter of the price of many other breeds, and often they are sold no questions asked Not great, is it?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
can anyone tell me, what does a pet collie cost?
a show collie? and a working collie?

would be intresting to see if the price is very diff from one to the other,
I can only tell you that working collie pups go from around £60 up to around £150. There are occasional ones for £200 or more, but they aren't the norm.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I can only tell you that working collie pups go from around £60 up to around £150. There are occasional ones for £200 or more, but they aren't the norm.
thanks for that hun x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thanks for that, I don think the price of the farm collies has went up much over the years then,

was the £400 year old collie a farm collie?
I doubt many farmers would charge (or get!) £400 for a work bred pup. However, when you get into the world of trained or part trained sheepdogs then the price really rockets, and can be in the £thousands.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Bernese have been bred far too big and suffer with bad joint problems in back and front legs----so it is no surprise that they have that age. Great Danes 'look ' ok and also have a low age expectancy.

It isn't just how a dog looks---that is a mistake many show people make, it is the 'hidden' problems which are bred in in the quest for a specific look as well.

rune
If you stopped generalising people for one second, when you haven't even met them, I feel you'd learn a damn sight more than you are at the moment.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Because most breeders of working gundogs dont bother with any health tests, along with a very small breeding programme.

Yet the show breeder is the one who gets all the criticism..

You only have to look at the diversity of the "springer" small, large, queen Anne legs to point out a few.

Yet it is argued they are a better example of the breed. did you not say, that a show springer could not do a days work, well sorry Pidge, the Springer with the bowed legs and no health tests, is more likey to be the one who suffers with joint problems.

But then the owner who works the dog may not expect a long life out of his dog , and just move onto the next one...
And Bingo was his name! That's precisely it, the working folk (I'm talking Springers here, not Collies etc) are just as much to blame for the poor health of the Springer as the show types are. In fact I'd go as far as to say the show types are a damn sight healthier!

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Not sure if I would believe that working gundog breeders do not do any health tests. They certainly should and I am sure a lot of them do have health tests done before they breed. The gundogs bred for the Sandringham Estate for example
Have a little look at these test results and have a little guess as to how many of these dogs are working bred.....

Fuco Clears

[Fuco Carriers is not working for me so can't post the link!]

Should I tell you? Approximately 10% of the dogs tested on that link are working type Springers! 10%!!!!! And Fuco DNA testing has been around for a long time!

Just think how many more ESS that are bred are workers rather than show type and it kind of puts it into perspective for me!

So no, I don't think Show people are entirely to blame for a breeds ill health, in the Springer the working type breeders seem to be equally, if not more to blame judging by the amount of testng they're doing.

Oh and if you look at my website (go to Our Dogs-----Isla-----Isla's pedigree) you'll see what tests should be done on Springers. I looked for a working type breeder for a Sire for Isla's Daughter and I can tell you I found 2 kennels that tested correctly! 2!!!!!!

I blame both sides equally for the faults in the ESS breed, but when I hear people trying to blame the show people it really gets my back up, when given the evidence it clearly isn't the case!

This isn't aimed at you aerolor btw.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:40 PM
<<<<If you stopped generalising people for one second, when you haven't even met them, I feel you'd learn a damn sight more than you are at the moment.>>>>

We are all generalising.

What do you think I need to learn?

rune
Page 16 of 28 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »