Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2004, 11:48 PM
it doesnt sound stupid Kate.
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2006, 07:40 PM
just read this whole thread and couldnt believe what some people think.. Cannabis harmless?.. u gotta b kidding.. Alcohol if discovered now would be a class A drug,fact... Most class A drug users HAVE used Cannabis.. i could go on and on but dont think i will.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I've not read all the replies, so will just give my opinion I personally dont think drugs should be made legal, no matter how harmless some users may think they are, they are the first step on a trail of destruction IMO, I personally know a few people that smoke cannibis, and I will tell you, in the evenings when they are "nice and relaxed" their kids are up to all sorts, and the parents are that "chilled out" they dont seem to mind, some time ago I was thinking about drugs as my daughter came home from school and said they had a discussion about them, which made me think about my circle of friends at the time, some of them smoked cannibis others did not use drugs at all, some of the ones that did smoke did it in front of their kids, some didnt,out of these people the ones that took drugs, their children(teenagers) tended to get into more trouble, ie drinking on the streets, caught smoking pot, non attendance at school, street fighting(this is boys and girls)and showed no respect to their parents? the ones that didnt take any form of drugs were more on top of what their kids were doing, and so nipped things at the bud before it got out of control, hence their kids did better, in school etc. this is my own observations. I no longer mix in this crowd as I moved on but the memory stays, and I also hear from mutual friends that their "children" are now also taking drugs and mixing with bad crowds, now this could all be coincidental, but I do think there is a link. between parents who accept drugs(cannibis) as being harmless, recreational drugs, and the younger generation also taking this attitude, and becoming users themselves.

As for medicinal purposes, if its documented that use of certain drugs are helpful, then they should be on prescription like any other drug.

Mo
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
The only experience of drugs I've had is passively smoking weed... Every time it's been either when I'm surfing or skating with a buddy or two, usually after a session. Having said that I know of some skaters that swear by skating after (Or even while) enjoying a joint. They say it relaxes them enough to really get into the flow of what they're doing. I do not know of any surfers/skaters who would have a beer before or during a session. The general consensus is that drinking alcohol is asking to get drowned or eat concrete, whatever's applicable at the time...

I was listening to a similar debate on the radio recently, where it was mentioned that the cannabis available these days is a LOT stronger than 30 years ago so smoking a decent sized joint is equivalent to drinking a pint of whiskey. Obviously, this is going to mess you up! To carry on with the weed/alcohol comparison, you drink pints of beer and a couple of fingers of whiskey occasionally if you want to remain relatively healthy. So, legalise cannabis and your average recreational user will know what strength they are using and not end up doing the pint of whiskey thing!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Ok... Not read all these, but certainly plan to.

A couple of points I'd like to make.

1) Drugs education is absolutely diabolical in schools. Even learning about drugs in a school environment is pointless - kids need to relate to what is being said, not lectured to.

2) Someone made a point that PARENT's should teach their kids about drugs. Well, what if your parents are clueless? Or are drug users themselves? What about these kids?

3) Societies picture of the typical 'druggie' is TOTALLY sterotypical and biased. You hear the horror stories and you listen to the government but who here has actually spoken to anyone who has been on drugs, or been abusing drugs? I have been on some amazing drug awareness training held by colleagues of mine, one of whom is a manager and ex addict, and it would open your eyes to the REALITY (i work in a substance misuse charity for the record!). Not just burglers and prozzies. These are REAL people with issues you will never have to face, and abuse you can't imagine. You think people just fall into taking heroin for a laugh?????

4) I think that taking softer drugs is a personal choice. I know people who take substances on a weekend and hold down full time jobs, mortgages and have kids. You would NEVER know what they do in their free time. They would NEVER expose their children to drugs, and would activally discourage their kids from drugs. But if the time came and they found out their kids took anything - they feel they can at least make sure they do not do something stupid. You will never be able to stop someone taking something they want to. Peer pressure or not. If someone makes the decision they are gonna experiement, they will do it. That said, of course there are people who let it ruin their lives, but again, these are all people with underlying issues 99% of the time.

5) Cannabis is NOT a gate way drug. That is absolute bullsh*t. Alcohol and nicotine are gateway drugs. What is the first drug kids will try - ciggies behind the bike shed. They don't just chong on a spliff and that's it, become heroin addicts and thieves.

6) Alcohol is by FAR the worst drug. More deaths, more addicts, a worse addiction, yet is almost socially accepted.

Right. My point is that ALL drugs are bad in the wrong hands. Paracetamol are bad if abused. Freedom of choice is something I believe in, and I think ADULTS can decide for themselves what they ingest. Children should be better educated about the REALITIES of drugs. What happens to addicts and why they become addicted.

The comments people make and the views people have, even here, just show the lack of real drugs awareness people have.

Yes, drugs mess up lives. So does gambeling, divorce, rape, etc. These are all parts of society and we need to know the realities of it, not what the governement produced literature says!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Excellent post Bodhi
Originally Posted by Bodhi
The comments people make and the views people have, even here, just show the lack of real drugs awareness people have.
Would be the first one to admit I have very little knowledge of drugs so would welcome more information - but where do you find unbiased, fact based, non alterior motive stuff?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Real people. People who have been there and done that. Call into any drugs centre and I am sure they would welcome telling people what they do. The agency where I work is always wondering how to reach the average joe. No offence, but the average joe public has such a blinkered view. Not that I am an expert by ANY means

And most drug addicts are more than happy to tell you their life story!!! (which is usually tear-jerking)
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
- but where do you find unbiased, fact based, non alterior motive stuff?
I guess, like a lot of things, you don't. You listen to both sides with a large pinch of salt, add a bit of first hand observation/experience, mix it all up and come to your own conclusion.

Personally, I don't smoke and have never partaken of any substances other than morphine when I broke my leg ( ) but do enjoy a beer etc. regularly and that's how I intend it to stay. Anything that can be done in moderation and the user stays in control of isn't a problem.
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Bodhi in rreply to ur post,of which i agree with most of i do want to make a ciouple of points...yes alcohol causes more deaths than all illicit drugs put together,the reason its socially accepted is because its LEGAL... Cannabis is a gate way drug, if u go to the shop for a packet of fags u wouldnt b possibly exposed to or offered harder drugs by the shopkeeper... reason is because they're not there to b bought.(we hope).. U go to ur dealer for your weed and the chances are we will deal in speed, coke,benzo's etc so u can progress quite easily,, many dealers offering BOGOF's and stuff.
9 out of 10 herion users when asked will tell u their first illicit drug was cannabis.. as for it being harmless, the mental health problems that can occur are frightening.... for the record i work in the substance misuse field as a drugworker too.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, cannabis is the first ILLICIT drug. And I don't think it is harmless at all. I don't think any drugs are harmless.

But to say it is a gateway, ie, the CAUSE of further drug use is a misconception (I think).

(i'm not a drugs worker - so you are probably much more qualified than me to comment - I work in the background But I AM opinionated on this subject and feel I have seen/heard/read/researched/had experience of it enough to feel confident about what I say. I am always willing to learn more.)
Page 9 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »