Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I agree with both of these sensible posts. If Max was attacked, in the heat of the moment, I would do whatever it took to stop the attack..... Gnasher accepts the fact that Ben got hit at the time. In the heat of the moment, I would also have chucked several choice comments Gnasher's way.

Unfortunately, accidents do happen, we are all human. The past cannot be changed but Gnasher has made sensible steps to stop the same happening again.

I understand totally the neighbour's anger, fear and distress because I would have felt exactly the same if my dog was the target.

The neighbour has every right to walk in their garden and drive without fear of their dogs being attacked - Gnasher is not trying to say that they don't.

I think what Gnasher wanted when she came on here was to share, with other dog owners, her frustration at the situation. She totally accepts it was her fault, her OH physically intervened, they have apologised, they have paid for the vets treatment and enhanced the fencing so that the same cannot happen again. It seems as though Gnasher is trying to find a solution so that months down the line she is not still having obscenities hurled at her and her dog being walloped with a broom under the fence.
absolutely spot on Majuka. i came on here not only to release frustration, but to find out if I was being unreasonable in my resentment at being abused, and my dogs being abused. I AM trying to find a solution, but I don't think there is one. I am going to write a letter along the lines of what has been suggested around christmas time in the hopes that things will have calmed down by then, but I really cannot see she is going to change. Her own husband was trying ineffectually to calm her down, OH said she was just like a woman possessed. it is actually quite scarey because i am worried she might do something really awful like throw something dangerous over the fence.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think perhaps that some of the problem may be that Gnasher also accepted full responsibility after the first attack and yet a second occurred. I know I would probably have accepted that 'accidents happen' once, twice I really wouldn't.

I wonder, did the neighbour still remain on reasonably friendly terms after the first incident, or was she on the warpath from first attack?
she wasn't exactly on the warpath, but neither was she friendly. I actually rang the house later that night, and spoke to her OH who was naturally and understandably a little stiff and starchy. i spoke to him and said how scared poor *** must have been, how sorry I was, I did not mention that their dog had growled because I thought that was very incendiary and unnecessary, I kept it all very friendly, I didn't even point out that perhaps it was a bit foolish of *** to not have waited until we had got the dogs in, all of 5 seconds, I again thought that was not very helpful or friendly. We parted the best of friends as always, but if I am to be honest, *** has been a bit off with both of us since long before this incident. it could be that perhaps she is scared of ben? We have always been very honest about his origins, his life etc. A few months before this incident, her husband even took a rabbit out of Ben's mouth that he had picked up out in the fields, and Ben didn't even murmur. She was there and saw this happen, and I said something along the lines that it's lucky he is not aggressive with humans because he could have taken a very dim view to having his rabbit taken off him! he didn't even growl. I am just wondering though now, as I type these words, whether the poor woman is scared stiff of him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I believe she posted for sympathy----I have none.

If I had an open drive with someone else allowed access no way would my dogs be on it unless they were on lead. It is easy enough to leave leads on in the car---I do with Benj anyway and always get him out on lead even in our very private drive---just in case there might be cats around or a gate open.

My sympathy is with the neighbour and her dog which has been attacked twice.

rune
O you Mrs Perfect with your perfect dogs and perfect life.

of course I didn't post for sympathy - I posted for advice and confirmation that I was not being entirely unreasonable - or indeed, that I was being UNreasonable. I am a bit blinkered where my dogs are concerned, I try not to be, but in common with all of us I adore my boys and I am struggling here to maintain good relations whilst shutting her up, and stopping her trying to hurt my boys!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
It's not being argumentative I'm now wondering if I have read the later pages of the thread as carefully as I should. Off to have a reread.....

On a separate point, if Gnasher is still trying to improve the situation between her and her neighbour, then your post demonstrates if Gnasher has implied to her neighbour that the neighbour was in some way to blame, then accepting more responsibility might go some way to help improve the situation, somehow?

I know what you're saying Brierley but both happened in different circumstances, one off-lead incident and one when he jumped the fence. Ben had never leapt the fence before so I guess Gnasher thought he never would? I was a little surprised at how low the fence was though....

Your second comment is interesting and I wonder the same thing.
Spot on Majuka. The fence may seem low, but remember there is a massive drop the other side, with a solid bank of huge stingers, thorny stuff growing up the fence.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would be tempted to set up a CCTV camera in the garden.
Hey!! That is a brilliant idea!! They don't cost much these days. Thank you so much - at least if that nutter hurts my boys I will have it on camera! Thanx so much
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
1 maybe she is on a losing wicket at the moment but in future dog/dog aggression will be more frowned on.

2 Sticks and stones

3 If everyone knew me they'd know that she was talking rubbish---if however she had a point.....

4 My dog would be no where near her and certainly not out of my sight---I'd double fence rather than risk it.

rune

and that my friend we have done. Place looks like Fort Knox!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm not saying it is right but these things do happen. I do not like handbags at dawn scraps at all (my larger dogs have been the victim of quite a few) but I also accept that not all dogs will get along all of the time. I also think that such incidents look much worse to us than what the dogs are thinking.

Exactly! Ben has only caused injury this one time. But his sound and fury is another thing. It looks and sounds so scary, but he has only bitten this once - inexcusable, but he has bite inhibition. Which is a start. We just now need to teach "pin the other dog down" inhibition.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Off home now - thanx once again for all the brilliant advice. It really does help to talk and think as it were, whilst typing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Gnasher - first and foremost I think you should do a little research about 'shared access' and 'right of way'. Of course they have 'right of way' across 'shared access' land - they do not have to OWN it to have right of way over it.

I could see your neighbour's POV but sympathised with you for the situation you now find yourself in. I have now read all your posts and my sympathy for you has evaporated totally.

I did mention previously that maybe there is an element of her feeling that you think you 'still own the place and can do what you like'. I think quite a lot of what you've said confirms that.

As for her thinking you are arrogant. Well, I can't help but agree with that. I suggest you re-read what you've written yourself. You keep banging on about this being YOUR property and YOUR drive (and them only having right of access over it) !!!

Here are a few of the comments you've made that confirm what I thought and which (to my mind) confirm that you are arrogant and DO think you own the place and can do what you like and they should alter THEIR behaviour to accommodate you doing as you like. You seem to think you know better than they do HOW THEY FEEL. Better than a Vet does about WHAT IS NEEDED. And should be able to dictate someone else's reactions to a situation.

Your capitalisation of 'Her' and the way you refer to her is, to my mind just as insulting as the four letter anglo saxon words of choice she uses. You obviously feel superior to Her!

especially bearing in mind the stupidity of walking across someone's drive in full knowledge that 2 dogs were loose on it!

Their dog would have healed a long time ago, I would even go so far as to say by now the hair would have grown back and I doubt there is even a scar. It really was an enormous amount of fuss over a very small wound, although doubtless painful at the time.

The injury was paltry and certainly did not justify "the bill of 700£ and rising!". Ridiculous fuss over a skin scrape, which nonetheless would have required suturing, ab's etc., but certainly not daily visits back and forth.

It was not necessary to repeatedly take the dog back to the vet for such a trivial wound, but of course the vet would not turn away business, you cannot blame them for that!

Owning dogs is about responsibility, and we were in the wrong for not having the dogs properly under control on our drive, and she was in the wrong for walking across the drive in full knowledge that our dogs were not properly under control.

Luckily for her, if she does eventually speak to me with even a hint of civility, I shall be gracious and extend the hand of friendship once again.
FULL MARKS FOR ARROGANCE FOR THAT ONE!

There is not a cat in hell's chase of either dog actually catching one of their cats, and I never let them chase her elderly cat who only has 3 good legs, but my strategy works because her cats do not come in our back garden any more.

They were walking their 2 past our garden, containing Ben and Tai. They know that ben has issues with their BL, so actually you could say it was partly their fault for walking past our garden.

so, for Her to walk across our drive, in the dusk, knowing full well that we had no idea she was there (the drive is very large indeed, sort of circular but with a long straight bit which comes off the lane), she was hidden by a large tree which grows over the entrance to the drive, was madness in itself.

they are my dogs, on my drive

Garden is now totally dog proof - they can't get out, gates have double bolts from the inside, fence really doesn't need any more attention.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN THAT WAY TO BEGIN WITH.

But they are not true doggy people, so clearly they did not understand the implications of what I was saying. I just think they could have taken slightly more care when entering our property.
AGAIN - FULL MARKS FOR ARROGANCE!

it is their responsibility as intelligent human beings NOT to walk across OUR drive when our 2 are louting around on OUR drive whilst we get them in from the car to the house.

And for everyone's information, the drive is OUR drive. It is not shared with our neighbours, they do not own a right of way, or a part of it, they have the right to walk across it or drive across it in a car. They have the right to walk their dogs across, of course, and they have the right to do so unmolested.

OH has a harness which goes round his waist with a couple of leads coming off it on bungees. Weighing in at around 13 and a half stone, even if the hooligans managed to pull him over they would not be able to drag him.

Jesus. That does NOT conjure up an image of friendly, harmless or playful dogs! Two dogs that have to be tethered to the owner's waist and that are so big they could pull him over and even ATTEMPT to drag him along? My mind bloody boggles!

As for the general populace in your village - I'd be surprised if any of them had TRUE sympathy for you if this is the way you talk about people.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Gnasher - first and foremost I think you should do a little research about 'shared access' and 'right of way'. Of course they have 'right of way' across 'shared access' land - they do not have to OWN it to have right of way over it.

I could see your neighbour's POV but sympathised with you for the situation you now find yourself in. I have now read all your posts and my sympathy for you has evaporated totally.

I did mention previously that maybe there is an element of her feeling that you think you 'still own the place and can do what you like'. I think quite a lot of what you've said confirms that.

As for her thinking you are arrogant. Well, I can't help but agree with that. I suggest you re-read what you've written yourself. You keep banging on about this being YOUR property and YOUR drive (and them only having right of access over it) !!!

Here are a few of the comments you've made that confirm what I thought and which (to my mind) confirm that you are arrogant and DO think you own the place and can do what you like and they should alter THEIR behaviour to accommodate you doing as you like. You seem to think you know better than they do HOW THEY FEEL. Better than a Vet does about WHAT IS NEEDED. And should be able to dictate someone else's reactions to a situation.

Your capitalisation of 'Her' and the way you refer to her is, to my mind just as insulting as the four letter anglo saxon words of choice she uses. You obviously feel superior to Her!

As for the general populace in your village - I'd be surprised if any of them had TRUE sympathy for you if this is the way you talk about people.
Brilliantly put !!!

My guess would be part of the frustration displayed by the neighbour may be due to the fact she is constantly reminded that her access over her right of way, is begrudgingly tolerated.

She should inform you when she wants to walk down her drive.

It's her fault because she dares walk past your garden.

Enough said !!
Page 11 of 51 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »