View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 03:49 PM

House Move Hell - (really, really long, sorry)

Well, we all knew it was never going to be easy, house moves never are and it’s a well known fact that anything that involves me is always twice as difficult.

For a fair few weeks we had agreed to complete on my sale on 23rd March but, as at 20th March we still hadn’t exchanged contracts. My buyer kept phoning me trying to blame the hold up on my solicitor and saying that if we didn’t exchange the next day her buyer would be pulling out, blah, blah blah, this had gone on for about 2 weeks prior to completion. Every time she phoned me I phoned my solicitor who, I have to admit, was brilliant, he remained calm and just kept saying it would be alright, it wasn’t a hold up at his end it was, in fact, my buyers solicitor that was casing the problems as she took a 2 weeks sicky right in the middle of everything. Anyway, on the Tuesday afternoon I got an email to say we had exchanged for completion on the Friday. Yikes, I was excited as I had finally got rid of the land and the mobile home, sounds awful but it wasn’t home any longer and I had found Snowdrop Cottage and nothing else compared to it.

One problem, I had loads of boxes still to shift, I had taken lots over to my friend Jills in Wisbech but there were some things that were just too big to go in my car, I had two washing machines, a fridge freezer and a small chest freezer, aswell as some 6’ x 11’ fence panels, 25 leylandii and a weeping willow to move. That’s when I decided to hire the van for the day before the move, this would give me plenty of time to get the items moved to Junes for the electrical and perishable items, Nikkis house just around the corner from here for the fencing and garden items, all to be left on her front lawn. I collected the van, it was huge and I drove it very gingerly from town to home, I had purposely hired one with a hydraulic lift so as to make things easier as I was having to load everything on it myself and my ex was then going to drive it that evening to wherever the things had to go. I filled it from top to bottom on the Thursday but still had loads left indoors so we decided to drop the things off that were in it and then refill it and do another drop off early the next morning before I had to get the van back. We got round to Nikkis to drop that stuff off first and, guess what?, the hydraulics had gone, not only was the lift not working, we couldn’t get into the back of the van to unload it even if we wanted to. I started to panic then, the hire company was closed for the day so I knew I wouldn’t be able to get hold of them until the next morning by which time it would be too late to get the van unloaded and the next load taken before getting the van back to them.

We came back home, I was in a right panic, I knew I had to be out of the place by 3 p.m. the next day and I still had the dogs to get over to Junes, she had told me they couldn’t go before 11 a.m. and, as I’ve only got a KA I had to take them over in several loads, Leon and Gracie were coming with me to Jills for the 5 days so they would be under my feet too (I don’t mean that how it sounds, I just would have liked to have had a clear run with no dogs to worry about tripping over or risking escaping when the gates are open).

I didn’t sleep at all on the Thursday night, from 6 a.m. the next morning I was taking car loads of things to Junes house as I knew I couldn’t get them into the van, I had to unpack big boxes and put the things into smaller boxes that would be more manageable and fit into my car. When I got to hers I didn’t dare make a sound in case I woke her dogs up and that woke them all up, I drove over to her barn, where the things were to be stored and started stacking things up outside of it. The weather was not really on my side and it was spitting with rain, thankfully it didn’t develop into anything worse but I had electrical items, portable tv, kettle etc stacked up outside and exposed to the elements.

Once 8 a.m. arrived I started trying to contact the van hire company, they answered the phone at 8.45 and I explained the problem, he asked me to take the van in and they would have a look at it. Obviously I couldn’t do that as I was trying to get organised for the move of the dogs and was still waiting for a call from my solicitor to let me know we had exchanged on Snowdrop, which had also been on the cards for a couple of days, but I’ll elaborate on that a bit later. Fortunately they said that my ex could take it to them, he was gone for about an hour and returned with the hydraulic lift fixed into place half way up the pack of the van so at least we could moves things out but we had to drop them off the end and, when we re-filled it, we had to lift the things up to shoulder height, (thankfully most of the heavy and awkward stuff was already loaded). They then had the cheek to phone me and ask them if they could have the van back at 1.00 as it was booked for the next day, I won’t tell you what I said, I don’t swear but I clearly told them that they would get it back when I had finished with it and not a moment sooner, they had told my ex that there was a problem with the van and it was booked in for repair but they still hired it out to me.
I managed to transfer the dogs to Junes, we filled the van up with a few more things that we could cram in and proceeded to Junes and Nikkis to drop the things off. Well, by this time I was bouncing off the ceiling, thank goodness I had a seat belt on otherwise I would have floated away, ex wouldn’t listen to anything I suggested, he thought he knew the best way to do everything, the best way to approach both houses and the best way to turn the van around up their lanes, (both live in secluded spots with narrow lanes which have deep dykes to one side). He nearly went down the dyke at Junes, we all screamed at him and he turned the wheel so sharply that he narrowly missed the wall of her barn, we screamed again and he wound the window down with this totally blank look on his face completely unaware of the situation he had nearly got himself in to. Junes son guided him out of the spot he was in and we made out way to Nikkis. I suggested he reverse up her lane in order to eleviate the need to turn around in a tight spot but, oh no, he knew best, he’d managed to get out of Junes place so Nikkis would be an absolute doddle. W R O N G ! he managed to get the van stuck in some mud and was skidding nearer and nearer to the dyke, I got out of the cab to try to direct him but he didn’t even look at me for instructions, just put his foot down so hard that the back wheel was spinning, the van was sinking deeper into the mud and there was smoke everywhere, I thought the tyre was going to disintegrate before my eyes. It was getting on for 2 p.m. and I still needed to get Leon and Gracie in the car before giving the other place a final hoover, then take the last few things to Junes place. He was cursing and I was lying on the floor sobbing at god to please help get this cretin out of the van and put someone of use in his place, suddenly Nikkis neighbour arrived with some rope and old carpet, within a few moment he had the van clear of the dyke and us on our way, his name is Noel and I think he must be a saint.

It was exactly 6 p.m. when I had finished the last of the cleaning, had returned the van to the hire place and got the dogs in the car to take to Jills house. I suddenly realised that I hadn’t heard from my solicitor so I still wouldn’t have exchanged on Snowdrop inorder for us to move in on the following Wednesday. The next 5 days were a bit of a blur, I missed the dogs terribly, poor Leon and Gracie were in a kennel at Jills but at least they had heating, a sofa to sleep on and the use of her paddock. As I was working Jill very kindly gave them their dinner and supper so I just saw them at breakfast, before I went to work and then again when I got home from work. It was an hours drive each way from Jills house to work so it not only added to my working hours, it also drained my resources considerably in respect of petrol, but I didn’t dare let George down.

Monday came round quite quickly, I had June on the phone telling me that both Leonie and Ebony had come into season, typical, I could do nothing about it, I had hardly planned it that way yet she was speaking to me as if it was entirely my fault that she would have to put them in separate kennels to the boys. I badgered my solicitor endlessly but he was ready to exchange and had been for a number of days, unfortunately my sellers solicitor refused to return any of his calls so that they could exchange, I could do nothing to make it happen, it just all depended on this call. Tuesday came, still nothing and I was supposed to be moving in the next day. June phoned me to ask when I was picking my dogs up, did it not occur to her that I was in tears every night because I was missing them and, if I was in a position to have them with me I would have moved heaven and earth to get them back to me. Wednesday arrived, the day I was supposed to be moving into my wonderful Snowdrop Cottage and I still hadn’t exchanged contracts. I spoke to my dad from Jills house and asked if he would please chase my solicitor, at this point I could hardly see out of my left eye, I had developed broken blood vessels in it and it was agony, the doctor put it down to stress, thankfully it was nothing more sinister. I went into the estate agents to see if there was anything they could do to hurry things along, they were their usual unhelpful selves, dangled the keys in front of me and said pity I couldn’t have them as we hadn’t exchanged and completed. I went next door to another estate agent and made an immediate appointment to see another cottage, it was only half the size of Snowdrop, hardly any garden and £30k more expensive but I was so desperate I just couldn’t see how I could remain at Jills and my dogs remain at Junes for any longer than necessary.

I had just left the viewing when my mobile phone went, I pulled over and it was my mum on the phone, she had just received a phone call from the solicitor to say we had exchanged and completed on Snowdrop, the time was 2.30 on the day I was supposed to be moving anyway. I went straight to the estate agents to get the key but they still refused to give them up as they hadn’t received confirmation that the funds had been received. I went back to Jills (that morning I had clocked up 150 miles backwards and forwards), where she made me sit down with a cuppa and a big slice of homemade cake, (yummy) and told me to calm down, the cottage was mine and no-one could change that, I would just have to wait for confirmation. It was 4.30 when I got the call to pick up the keys, Jill couldn’t believe it when I insisted I was moving in that day, I was going to be sleeping on the floor but I would have my dogs with me, or so I thought. June said it wasn’t convenient for me to pick them up that evening and it would have to be the next morning, I was working the next morning which is why I wanted them immediately. She made me wait until Thursday evening to collect them, again I had to do it in stages and again, I had to do everything on my own, not a single one of my friends, who all live local, turned up to give me a hand. Jill came over with me to help me get some of the stuff into the house but she had to get back as it was getting dark by then and she doesn’t like driving at the best of times and refuses to do so in the dark.

Yes, it was an absolute nightmare but we are here now, I’ve done lots of things on my own and with the help of my family when they have been able to travel up to me. Jill was very kind in allowing me and Leon and Gracie to stay and June took in the others for me so for that I must be very grateful. I’m hoping that I don’t have to move again as I don’t think I could go through the uncertainty again, one things for sure, I will never be parted from my dogs again, unless it’s a matter of life, death or hospitalisation.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
welcome to your new home, and may you have lots of happy years in there,
its my turn to move (hopefully next sat)
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Moving is traumatic at the best of times Sheree without all the added problems of broken hydraulics, dogs fostered out, hold up with the exchange etc. etc. but the important thing is it is now behind you. I am sorry you had such a horrible time of it and I am glad Snowdrop Cottage is so ideal for you and your doggie family. Good luck in your new home to all of you. You are all back together and things are on the up for you and that can only be good.

You have all moved from "Hell" to "Heaven"
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Dear me Sheree, what a nightmare, I'm surprised you didn't have a nervous breakdown.....At least you are all back together again at home where you belong
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Good grief Sheree! What a cataogue of disasters - I don't wonder you are in a state of both exhausation and euphoria at the same time!
Try and relax - the photos of Snowdrop are just as wonderful as your description of it - and before you know it, it'll be like you've never lived anywhere else. It's a pity a few of us Dogsey bods weren't a bit closer - we'd have helped you immediately.
Big hugs hon, and special hugs also to all the crew xoxox
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Wow, what a story!! (Had to read it two parts) Still it's behind you now

It does seem perfect for you and the doggies so all that hassle is worth it. Hope you are very happy there.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys, yes it was a nightmare but worth every second and I would do it all again, (apart from the doggy bit), if it meant I could live in this wonderful place.

Thanks Vicki for the offer of help if you were closer, I know I could rely on any of you guys and I would be happy to help out anyone in need and nearby too.

I've got it all off my chest now so can just look forward to the happy days at Snowdrop. It is just as delightful as the photos show it to be
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
flipping heck, what a nightmare!!!

still, you're in now.

well done .
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
welcome to your new home, and may you have lots of happy years in there,
its my turn to move (hopefully next sat)
Oh, they don't all go wrong like mine, I'm sure you'll get sorted out and hope that you too will be very happy in your new home, please do let us know all about it.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
flipping heck, what a nightmare!!!

still, you're in now.

well done .
Yep, we're in now, thanks Mel, btw are you still thinking of moving?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >