View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 02:20 PM

How to get a dog to wee in one place in the garden?

I could do with getting my dog to wee in just one place in the garden and wondered if he has done it where he pleases for the last four months, is it possible, and any ideas on doing it.

I am guessing the advice may be along the lines of take him out on a lead to the place you want and then linger till he does wee and praise, but wondering if any other tips/advice.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
I could do with getting my dog to wee in just one place in the garden and wondered if he has done it where he pleases for the last four months, is it possible, and any ideas on doing it.

I am guessing the advice may be along the lines of take him out on a lead to the place you want and then linger till he does wee and praise, but wondering if any other tips/advice.
Hi Rolosmum. see i had this in mind when i got my puppy mine has 2 patches always the very same area but one on 1 side and on the other side of the garden. Now i know my mother in law has a pebbled area, and she just hovered around the area untill her huskie's wee'd. the best thing is not to rush him/her and wait till he feels comfy after a few do's of him/her weeing there he'll/she'll get the idea thats his/her area. also this is another thing i did when mine did it is the sameish spot was to praise him and give him a treat when he did it were i wanted him to go. some other's will have different methods though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
HI Lynn
First teach your dog to relieve itself on command then it should 'go' anywhere including in the garden .

Take the dog a short walk preferably to a place used by other dogs to stimulate your dog to 'go'.
Choose a prompt word (I say 'beclean' ) .
To teach the dog the meaning of the word it is important to say the word when the dog is in the process of relieving itself so that it associates the word with the action, then the moment it finishes going give a treat/praise. Timing is very important here.

Once the dog has learnt to associate the word with the action you can then use the word to get your dog to relieve itself . Also after a while the treats should be given randomly , then not at all but always give praise.

Teaching this will take time and patience and for some dogs, many repetitions. Some get the idea very quickly.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Think they do it where they please as my dog does it all over the grass anywhere she can
Have you looked at pee posts etc. I think they sell them at pets at home, basically the posts give off a scent the dog will want to cover up so they will pee on them instead

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/pee-p...TCHING_PRODUCT

Sure if you look around they'll be cheaper ones

I don't know what they're called (sure someone will) but there these pebbles or something you put in their water dishes which stops their pee burning the grass if that's the main problem
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
No we have astroturf and I would like the wees in one area to make cleaning/disinfecting easier, it isnt life or death must me being fussy, to make it easier and safer to clean up!
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
We changed our dogs toilet area after about a year of him peeing anywhere. When he was a puppy we said "go quick' every time he peed so he knows what this means. We had new turf put down so had to change his peeing area to another part of the garden, everytime he went out we pointed to the new area and said "go quick" just had to keep going out with him and making sure he didn't go on the new grass. Every time he went to the new area he got lots of praise, it really didn't take him long to get the idea, only a few times of going outside with him. He doesn't even walk on the new grass now - unless Mr squirrel is in the garden!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bandi View Post
We changed our dogs toilet area after about a year of him peeing anywhere. When he was a puppy we said "go quick' every time he peed so he knows what this means. We had new turf put down so had to change his peeing area to another part of the garden, everytime he went out we pointed to the new area and said "go quick" just had to keep going out with him and making sure he didn't go on the new grass. Every time he went to the new area he got lots of praise, it really didn't take him long to get the idea, only a few times of going outside with him. He doesn't even walk on the new grass now - unless Mr squirrel is in the garden!
Might try that, we say 'weewees' so will give it a go, I am just really trying to narrow down the area I have to continually disinfect.
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-02-2011, 06:17 PM
When my puppy was house training, I would take him to either one of two preferred spots and when he went, we would say" go potty". Now he's just turned 6 months old, and when we go outside, and he hears "go potty", he assumes the position and goes.

It might some patience and time, but most dogs will learn to associate a chosen word or phrase with the action.

Good luck, and just be consistent and patient.