Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Respect shown by younger dogs

I'm so proud of the way Lily and Alfie are with Dylan. Given he is 13/14 years older than them and not a doggy dog, the 3 of them seem to have clear boundaries in place. Dylan is on daily medication for his leukemia part of which are steroids. These have given him an insatiable appetite and getting him to take food 'gently' is damn near impossible. He gets his tablets in a piece of toast and the 2 younger dogs both understand that Dylan gets his first and they stand back and give him space. He's never had to snap or growl and I'm so impressed that they both back off and wait for their piece.

Lily will give him the occasional lick on the muzzle but on the whole they don't bother him at all. He's an elderly dog who needs peace and quiet and it's like they just know. I've never really had to correct Alfie around him and Lily learnt early on that her big brother isn't the snuggly type.

Isn't it great when dogs live so peacefully together!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 06:11 AM
We love the way ours give Reah full respect, like your two they never encroach in her space or take from her.
I have to say like your household, we never have to correct ours as regards respect towards the old girl

well done to Lily and Alfie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We love the way ours give Reah full respect, like your two they never encroach in her space or take from her.
I have to say like your household, we never have to correct ours as regards respect towards the old girl

well done to Lily and Alfie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's great isn't it! Given the age of my two and your two youngest, it says alot about them that they have the self control in place. I would never let them harass Dyls but it certainly makes life easier that they just seem to understand this. xxxxxx