Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Crates - what size and what sort?

Researching which crates are best for crate training and have been advised that an "airline approved carrier" is the best as it can go in the car and won't be crushed if an accident occurs.

However, I'm not sure I'd use a crate in the car anyway... How many people do?

I was also thinking that a fabric one which fold away would be useful for if the pup and I stayed away for the night as I could just take their usual den with them.

My main question though is size related. Should I buy one big enough for the adult dog to use? So that it's 'den' is always there, or do people just get rid of them once the pups are old enough and training is "complete"?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-03-2012, 04:06 PM
We have both ...
A normal metal crate for home and a fold up for holidays ....

My dogs still use the crates now with the doors open they have become a safe cool place to sleep ..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-03-2012, 04:11 PM
From

To.
Same crate 4 years apart...
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Lovely pictures, I just love boxers, my friend has a rescue one, he is the maddest, naughtiest, cheekiest but most lovable and loving dog
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I'd use an adult size metal crate too, unless of course you're happy to buy more than one as the pup grows. I used a 48" crate for a pug puppy because it was what I had available and it just gave the pup room to play when unsupervised. The problem with fabric crates and pups is that if the pup tries to escape the mesh at the front generally rips quite easily and the bottom on one of mine has worn thin too just from the dog rearranging their bedding. So I tend to only use fabric crates once I know whether or not the dog is comfortable being enclosed or they're likely to try and tunnel their way out.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I think it depends what you want out of a crate;

Do you just want it for initial training?
Would you be happy to keep one permanent for the dog to rest in?
How do you plan to have the dog travel in a car?

Personally I got one that would just about fit my dog as an adult but I packed it away at 4 months when she was toilet trained and I was reasonably trusting she wouldn't chew when left - she never really loved it though.

In the car you can use a harness or the crate. Personally I would love I think it's called a tail gate. Its like a crate built in to the boot and prevents the dog getting injured in an accident.

Fabric crates are ok for short periods but the fabric is pretty tempting to chew especially for teething puppies so perhaps not the best investment long term.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I've only used metal crates as my two would have eaten their way through a soft crate. I had a crate already which both of mine slept in when small. I put loads of bedding in and made a crate cover. I tied the door to the crate open and the crate was then in a penned off part of the kitchen. This meant that they never weed/pood in it as I could place a few wee mats in the penned off bit.

Photo of the crate inside the pen:

I then removed the crate and put two beds in the pen - one large (which they both tend to share even now) and a smaller one if they wanted one each!

The pen I bought from Mothercare (it also is used as a room divider). It has worked really well and as one of them is still a real chewer, I tend to put them in the pen if I go out to the shops, if we have guests with small children or when we have a meal. During the day the pen door is permanently open and they are often in it just chilling out.
I now have a huge crate in my car. I did initially try the car harnesses but one of the pups was a real pain and would manage to swivel round and get caught up in it while the other one started chewing through the seat belt and door handle
Hope this give you some ideas.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Murf, I meant to say your photos are so sweet. Your boxer pups are so adorable - it's a shame our pups grow so quickly!!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I've only used metal crates as my two would have eaten their way through a soft crate. I had a crate already which both of mine slept in when small. I put loads of bedding in and made a crate cover. I tied the door to the crate open and the crate was then in a penned off part of the kitchen. This meant that they never weed/pood in it as I could place a few wee mats in the penned off bit.

Photo of the crate inside the pen:

I then removed the crate and put two beds in the pen - one large (which they both tend to share even now) and a smaller one if they wanted one each!

The pen I bought from Mothercare (it also is used as a room divider). It has worked really well and as one of them is still a real chewer, I tend to put them in the pen if I go out to the shops, if we have guests with small children or when we have a meal. During the day the pen door is permanently open and they are often in it just chilling out.
I now have a huge crate in my car. I did initially try the car harnesses but one of the pups was a real pain and would manage to swivel round and get caught up in it while the other one started chewing through the seat belt and door handle
Hope this give you some ideas.
this also lets you make it into a hexagon shape doesn't it? might be handy for little ones who think its ok to gnaw on the wallpaper -_-
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Do you just want it for initial training?
Would you be happy to keep one permanent for the dog to rest in?
How do you plan to have the dog travel in a car?
Mainly for initial training yes.

I'd rather not keep it permanently, simply because I am looking at big breeds (Bernese ) and so a crate big enough for an adult would take use a lot of room (whereas a big bed wouldn't feel quite so over powering I imagine).

I was hoping that a harness for the car would be enough.

I guess as well as training as I mentioned briefly, it might be nice to be able to have a crate that I could take with me so that if I stay with family the dog (at least while he/she's little) can have their own space and wouldn't feel as bothered by it (I'd hope).

Can any brand of wire crate be folded up to make travelling with them easier?

Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
The pen I bought from Mothercare (it also is used as a room divider).
Thanks, yes it does. The divider would work very well in my place.

Oh and good point about chewing and fabric crates everyone! I shall take that on board.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >