View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:59 PM

Advice,dog breed recommended for protecting?

I've just come back from a walk with my Northern Inuits, and a lady I meet quite often asked me if mine made good guard/protectors. (Good if you can call pinning the perpetrator down and giving them a good lick!)
She recently lost her husband, lives alone with a cat & has grandchildren aged 11 & 13, which stay frequently, she's at home all day and wanted a large dog but has to be a good guard dog with the instinct to protect her.
I said the Tibetian Mastif was supposed to be good at protection, but dont know much about them.
I think something has happened to her and she is a bit fearful alone.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Rotweillers are supposed to be quite good aren't they, and their lovely looking too.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:09 PM
gsd make good pets andare protective to there family
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:09 PM
:smt115 Obviously no light bulbs in my head this morning, obvious choice for starters. I must of been trying to be too universal?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Bullmastiffs are great with kids, but protect too.
When i'm alone in the house or g on a walk alone, Teagan protects me, but she knows which people are friendly or not.
She is excellent with other people, kids, dogs etc.

Next door has a rottie, and he is much the same.
he's amazing with their kids, but 'protects' his mum if she feels threatened etc.
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I would suggest a rottweiler. I have always had male rotties up until recently but now have a bitch who is very protective (my males were also protective but much more dominant). I havent trained her that way. It is just instinctual for her to want to protect her loved ones and her territory. She is the sweetest natured dog with everyone unless she feels her family or home are threatened. She barks when anyone enters the front gate and will stand by me when I open the door. If I invite the person in she is fine and friendly. If I dont invite them in she stands by me until they have left. You can tell that I have a massive softspot for rotties huh?
Elaine
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by ElaiRs
I would suggest a rottweiler. I have always had male rotties up until recently but now have a bitch who is very protective (my males were also protective but much more dominant). I havent trained her that way. It is just instinctual for her to want to protect her loved ones and her territory. She is the sweetest natured dog with everyone unless she feels her family or home are threatened. She barks when anyone enters the front gate and will stand by me when I open the door. If I invite the person in she is fine and friendly. If I dont invite them in she stands by me until they have left. You can tell that I have a massive softspot for rotties huh?
Elaine
Just a tad! Lovely story though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Luz Well, I think any dog would give her protection, coz at the end of the day even a good guard dog type of dog, will only "warn" you of an intrusion, I don't really think they would attack somebody would they? I know mine wouldn't!! Well, maybe they would if their owner was being assaulted I think all good guard/protection dogs are specially trained for this, but I may be wrong, luckily I've never had to find out with mine! Cassie did bring the gasman in one day though, whilst he was patting her head, when she saw him coming through the back gates She can't have anything with viscious tendencies, who probably are the type who would protect her 100%, because of the grandchildren can she? Another thing to bear in mind is how capable she is of daily exercising a large dog - I know mine wear me out twice a day! I would think anything medium to large would be enough to deter anyone wanting to break in, and would also give her the company she so desperately needs. She must get a dog I think, but as to the breed I really don't know,apart from a gsd, but would she be able to hold one on a lead and take it for long walks? Something like Steve's Vegas would be good too, but again, look how Steve has to exercise him to keep him quiet and calm indoors! She doesn't want her house wrecked does she, so she's got to be careful in what she gets. It's nice of you to think of her like that Luz, and I'm all for it. Anybody living on their own should have the company of a faithful friend!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Teagan doesn't get much exercise - 3 walks a week in general, and she's fine indoors.
She sleeps or plays with her toys.
Not all dogs need a lot of walks.....people always say to me "oh, I bet she needs a lot of exercise"...well no, not really! lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 02:29 PM
How lucky are you then Hevvur! I might get a bullmastiff next then to give me a break!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »