Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2005, 11:47 AM

eek..Help ...gone colourblind!!

first the thermostat so no hot water in the house now my PC ..there are gremlins in my house today..

...the screen has gone a funny colour all down one side and across the top..not the usual blue but purple and a washed out blue/green...
...the moniter is a bit 'iffy' anyway and the picture sometimes dissappears into an hour glass shape in the middle of the screen and I do a very technical thing called 'slapping the screen hard' to make it return..
Q is my new problem the graphics card or the monitor and should I 'fiddle about a bit' or rach for my credit card
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1316   Click image for larger version

Name:	fault.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1317  
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Oh Mini - what a day!
Have you tried turning it off and on again? - (as technical support always say)
That's the limit of my IT expertise, sorry
Good luck with it
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
...the moniter is a bit 'iffy' anyway and the picture sometimes dissappears into an hour glass shape in the middle of the screen and I do a very technical thing called 'slapping the screen hard' to make it return..
Erm ... I had my 15" CRT monitor do that (odd crackling noise came a month or so later), a good slap did the trick to start with. It lasted about 6 months with the slapping (monitor was 10 yrs old), but one day it wen't 'pop' and that was that. Got a cheap 17" TFT delivered the next day.
Meg
Supervisor

18-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by royv
Erm ... I had my 15" CRT monitor do that (odd crackling noise came a month or so later), a good slap did the trick to start with. It lasted about 6 months with the slapping (monitor was 10 yrs old), but one day it wen't 'pop' and that was that. Got a cheap 17" TFT delivered the next day.
Hi DM yes done the technical stuff like turning it off/waiting a moment while jumping up and down with red face and clenched fists

Thanks Roy I can cope with the slapping ..
..it gets rid of my bad temper
..its the colour thing i don't like
..I have selected another monitor to buy ...but need to be sure it is actually the monitor and not 'a piece in the PC' before I buy the new one..
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
first the thermostat so no hot water in the house now my PC ..there are gremlins in my house today..

Q is my new problem the graphics card or the monitor and should I 'fiddle about a bit' or rach for my credit card
Whichever way it is you need the credit card anyway sounds like your monitor having old age problems
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Like the others have said Mini sounds as if your vdu is on it's way out but you could try and degas it this helps sometimes most vdu's have this feature.
Meg
Supervisor

18-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Like the others have said Mini sounds as if your vdu is on it's way out but you could try and degas it this helps sometimes most vdu's have this feature.
WOW I tried and it worked !!
thank you Leo..
Do you think it means the monitor is going to die soon though should I order the replacement and coffin
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:14 PM
I fyou have the instruction booklet, see if there is an option where you can 'degauss' it

If you go into the control panel for the monitor (a button on the actual monitor somewhere) the 'option' you are looking for should look like a magnet...
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:15 PM
You might have walked past with a 'magnet' or sommin? speaker perhaps? that can cause it
Meg
Supervisor

18-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
I fyou have the instruction booklet, see if there is an option where you can 'degauss' it

If you go into the control panel for the monitor (a button on the actual monitor somewhere) the 'option' you are looking for should look like a magnet...
yes thank you...Leo suggested it ,I did it and it worked!!
..no magnets though ..
Not sure if I should still look at new monitors if you consider the 'slapping' above
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >