Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Tusker
the name caught on with time once they were being registered with the SIBTC of the early 90's. O'flynn,Psycho and the Dublin reds ( that in themselves are party to tales of fancy, most being peddled from street staff matings to the gullible public wanting to beleive they had something rare and special) were soon added to the list of the IRISH staff "breed" by those who wanted to make a few quid from selling something "special"
I do not beleive in the "Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier" But I DO beleive in Irish strains, such as those down from dogs like Battling Dutchess, and her like. All from...yep..you guessed it English KC lines.

i'd be very interested to hear these tales of fancy u are talking about, ur angle on these dogs is one of many....u would have to ask the guys that brought the original dogs in from ireland why they called them Irish staffs...but i think u would find the real reason less exotic than some of the reasons bandied around.When u have people who breed for the show ring and people who breed for sporting/working purposes.... u will eventually end up with what uv got just now....show dogs that to a large degree suffer from cleft palats, slipping patela's...and cannot give birth naturally, because they are bred for a specific look.....they are not asked to perform any physical tasks so over a certain period of time they lose a very large part of their physical abilities....and then u have the other end of the scale....call them what u will irish /old tyme or what ever these dogs still keep the length of leg ...they are longer in the back...breath more freely ...they are still capable of carrying out a lot of the tasks that the dogs of old were asked to perform ( if this is what ur after)...although these dogs might all be called staffs...they are not the same type of dog.....and to say that these "irish lines " go back to uk kc dogs, well most of the kc dogs in ireland can be traced back to nel of york...but a few of the red bitches can be traced back to irish working dogs in the 30's...but even if they were all down from kc stock initially so what......the difference between kc stock of 15yrs ago and now is the difference between day and night so that dont add up....sadly the kc dogs that are being shown and winning in the ring are sadly on the same slippery slope that the kc bulldog is now at the bottom of...and i for one cannot understand why this is being allowed to happen...surely the most important thing is to breed healthy dogs regardless of ur personal idea's on the dogs this one thing should come before all other's !!
Good post Tusker. The last sentence you make is what I was trying to get accross, no matter what "type" you breed surely if the emphasis is on health & the right temprament we should all be sticking together or at least be pleased that people are stepping in the right direction.

Whatever you prefer is just that - personal preference, I think the fact that so many people use the term "irish stafford" nowadays is not going to change to be honest it is so widely used and with so many dogs being bred willy nilly with this term I dont see any signs of it slowing down or changing. I am sure there are lots of dogmen and women out there who much prefered the day when these dogs were mainly kept in sporting circles and were relativley unheard of. I have called my dog this (irish stafford) in the past but if anybody asks me usually I tell them she is a Stafford bred down from Irish lines, which is true. Like I always say each to their own.

I can see where some of the frustration lies with regards the name issue but I would tend to agree with Tuskers take on it. Although from the other points of view, I am going to quote Bernard Manning here who once said:

"if a sheep is born in a stable does it make it a horse?"

I certainly will not go into the first half of the joke as it was not entirely tasteful or PC but I guess there is some kind of logic in there.

CBT I remember those Scottish Bull Terriers lol. Credit for trying though eh.
pete
Almost a Veteran

25-01-2005, 08:55 AM
i was just wondering how people judge the kc show type in here as exagerated or over done in width and weight and are not as opposed to over done by height and slender,like it has bin said a million times each to there own.but i was wonderin what they base the judgement on do visit shows often or was it the odd show 5 years ago ,or looking at pictures in books, cause from what i can see a dog in a book looks very different in real life.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Well speaking for myself Pete, I talk about the dogs from shows I have been to - and no not the odd one 5 years ago like you say but I do go regularly to see what is on offer - usually there are a few decent dogs but on the whole I am never impressed by what catches the judges eye. Usually I find the more impressive dogs tend to be left behind against the more extreme looking dogs i.e. those with shorter thicker legs, barrel chests, wide heads but short noses. I think its great for those people who do go to these shows and campaign a healthier alternative but usually their efforts go unnoticed. Even worse than this is the dogs who have breathing problems, I think its sad that some of the well known champions suffer from breathing problems too as at the end of the day this is suppose to be a canine athlete first and foremost whether they are bred for work or show health not rosettes should be the primary concern. Like it said on another site form should always follow function I think that is a fair assumption.

Some dogs I go by what I see in pictures, while you say some look very different in real life I am always of the thought that a picture tells a thousand words and quite often they do. I go by what my friends have told me from dogs they have seen in the flesh too. I have seen some cracknig KC dogs but overall I think what is winning at shows is really going downhill. They should be imo canine athletes regardless of what they are bred for I think its a shame that so many of the winning show dogs are such extreme examples of the breed. Is it just me or is this going off topic? I mean I thouht it was for discussing the Irish dogs not the goods and bads of the KC dogs.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by CBT
I think there will always be debate over this because the two types are so different and the fans of each type will defend them fiercely.
I like bigger, leaner dogs, give me a big staff any day, I just like them better and as for breathing and whelping better I have to agree with you tusker, having bred small type staffs and larger "irish old tyme, whatever you want to call them " I find the irish type dogs produce their pups much easier and faster and they dont snuffle and grunt and wheeze and shuffle the way some of the smaller staffs do. The shorter the nose and the stuffier the neck the less space there is in there for the air to circulate and the stronger and longer the legs, the better the weight of the dogs body will be carried thats the way i see it, but i have a very black and white way of looking at things sometimes :smt003
#

You are talking about SHOW dogs, not KC dogs bred to the old standards. Not every KC dog is a snuffling pig that cannot self welp. Ive also seeen many a small stafford as athletic as you like. APBT's too, they are often tiny wee things. bigger is not better. Particually in this age of legislation.
pete
Almost a Veteran

25-01-2005, 09:31 AM
sorry i may of bin off topic but i just wondered what "irish stafford" owners based there assumption kc show winners were exagerated and had health problems
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I think most people would agree that good dogs come in all shapes and sizes, just as bigger is not always better the same can be said for smaller too. Good dogs are where you find them.

Regarding heritage and pedigrees which dog was in what pedigree and which dogs originated from what lines. At the end of the day all of the dogs we speak about, e.g Ch Psycho, became notorious for their merits I am a firm believer that its the dog that makes the papers and not the other way around perhaps what should be focused on is the dogs of the future rather than speculating about what went into the dogs of the past. Like Tusker said only those who were there knew, its the future that counts now and only we can change that.

Betchyacan bigger may not be better for you but like I have said before it is always down to personal preference, one mans shed is anothers castle and all that. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing as I have said before the most important aspect is that people are breeding well balanced dogs capable of most tasks put to them. Whether these dogs are 14" or 19" as long as they are well balanced, capable and healthy then that is good enough for me.

There will always be variations in type and size because everybody has their own tastes and views on how the perfect dog should look, thats just life I am afraid I dont think it will ever change. I have said many times when I talk about the KC dogs that are extreme I am refering, for the most part, the show dogs especially the dogs who are out there winning. There are some breeders out there that are doing their damnd best to bring the KC dogs to an acceptable standard and breeding for type and temprament rather than a few rosettes and I have great admiration for those and the owners who do their best to keep the real old time dogs whether they are KC non-KC pink or blue it really does not matter.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Laura
Well speaking for myself Pete, I talk about the dogs from shows I have been to - and no not the odd one 5 years ago like you say but I do go regularly to see what is on offer - usually there are a few decent dogs but on the whole I am never impressed by what catches the judges eye. Usually I find the more impressive dogs tend to be left behind against the more extreme looking dogs i.e. those with shorter thicker legs, barrel chests, wide heads but short noses. I think its great for those people who do go to these shows and campaign a healthier alternative but usually their efforts go unnoticed. Even worse than this is the dogs who have breathing problems, I think its sad that some of the well known champions suffer from breathing problems too as at the end of the day this is suppose to be a canine athlete first and foremost whether they are bred for work or show health not rosettes should be the primary concern. Like it said on another site form should always follow function I think that is a fair assumption.

Some dogs I go by what I see in pictures, while you say some look very different in real life I am always of the thought that a picture tells a thousand words and quite often they do. I go by what my friends have told me from dogs they have seen in the flesh too. I have seen some cracknig KC dogs but overall I think what is winning at shows is really going downhill. They should be imo canine athletes regardless of what they are bred for I think its a shame that so many of the winning show dogs are such extreme examples of the breed. Is it just me or is this going off topic? I mean I thouht it was for discussing the Irish dogs not the goods and bads of the KC dogs.

off topic, I dont think so, the aim of the conversation at present is to query the sensibility and reality of describing a strain of dogs as a seperate breed, IE the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I feel that disregarding the Stormer lines all these dogs are Staffords, no more no less. and the idea of giving certain lines a special name to suggest they are maybe better than another is a dangerous game in today BSL climate. Breeding over tall dogs is an equally dangerous game, a dog doesnt need to be the size of new south wales to be athletic and healthy. The so called Irish Staff is is no better or no worse than a well bred KC registered dog. KC dogs are also being bred to ridiculous sizes outside the show ring by novices that think bigger = old tyme.
As I said in my 1st post, if we take a look at the clandestine working dogs still going in the breed, theres is little to choose from, the irish bred lines( if we MUST distinguish between) are just as challenged in that feild as the working bred KC registered stock. there is very little left. All we have now is the chance to keep the dogs temperment and looks to the standards of the OLD dogs, not what we imagine a fighting dog should look like, and it seems to me that there is an equal amount of fancy in the old time lines as in the show lines, albeit that the exaggerated old time dogs are healthier. But what use is health if oversized dogs are being bred from, give what to the authorities see as a fake name for a pit, and they get further BSL pushed through.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by pete
sorry i may of bin off topic but i just wondered what "irish stafford" owners based there assumption kc show winners were exagerated and had health problems
I think the KC show winners DO have some serious health problems, certain lines of show dogs are in serious trouble and are exaggerated to an extreme that is unhealthy. having said that Ive seen many a modern dog in the show ring that didnt get placed, but if the owner saw past the ribbons and took the excess weight off, there could well be a sound athletic dog under there. the showrings idea for lardballs can make it hard to see the actual dog underneath, but that is another tale! this is why I would like to see the dogs having the "terrible KC" finger pointed at, described as teh show winning type, trather than bundling them all into the same bracket. No one here can deny the likes of Valglo, Crossguns, Eastaff and Vanoric are ruining the breed, and producing dogs of questionable health.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 10:00 AM
[quote="Laura"]a Ch Psycho, became notorious for their merits quote]
Well, I will grant Psycho was a good dog in his area, and he has produced, with the help of the injection of KC blood, some good dogs down his line, but the truth is that he was actually a bit of a handbag slapper, as were many of the Staffords of the day, It wasnt hard to Ch a dog if opponants were picked carefully. I dont want to bring this thread down the fighting route as we al find it a distastfeull part of our dogs history. But I want to use the example to demonstrate how easy it is for the relativly mediochre to become a legend by chinese whispers and the chance to make a quick buck.
Had Psycho gone up against a halfway decent pit bull he would not be the big selling point that he is today.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by betchyacan
Originally Posted by Laura

off topic, I dont think so, the aim of the conversation at present is to query the sensibility and reality of describing a strain of dogs as a seperate breed, IE the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I feel that disregarding the Stormer lines all these dogs are Staffords, no more no less. and the idea of giving certain lines a special name to suggest they are maybe better than another is a dangerous game in today BSL climate. Breeding over tall dogs is an equally dangerous game, a dog doesnt need to be the size of new south wales to be athletic and healthy. The so called Irish Staff is is no better or no worse than a well bred KC registered dog. KC dogs are also being bred to ridiculous sizes outside the show ring by novices that think bigger = old tyme.
As I said in my 1st post, if we take a look at the clandestine working dogs still going in the breed, theres is little to choose from, the irish bred lines( if we MUST distinguish between) are just as challenged in that feild as the working bred KC registered stock. there is very little left. All we have now is the chance to keep the dogs temperment and looks to the standards of the OLD dogs, not what we imagine a fighting dog should look like, and it seems to me that there is an equal amount of fancy in the old time lines as in the show lines, albeit that the exaggerated old time dogs are healthier. But what use is health if oversized dogs are being bred from, give what to the authorities see as a fake name for a pit, and they get further BSL pushed through.
But is anybody really saying that the GOOD KC dogs are any worse or any better than the Irish strain dogs? I cant see why giving dogs a different label makes them look any better or any worse, perhaps that is just my own blinkered view? You get good and bad in all dogs, its what they do that counts. Most people seem to be saying the SHOW dogs, which by your own admission, are in serious decline. That is not to say every KC dog is a bad example, I have seen some cracking examples and there are many breeders out there breednig fantastic dogs.

You obviously have a preference for the smaller dogs which is fine myself I like a slightly taller dog, 18" for me is a nice height, but like I have said I dont have a problem either way whether the dog is taller or smaller as long as it is well balanced and capable, surely variations of type and size will always exist. I have pictrues of show champions dating back from the early 50s to late 70s and even back then the variation in type and size is great.

I do agree there is no breed called the ISBT and these dogs they refer to should not be classed as such, just Irish strain or Irish bred SBTs. But the name is bandied around so much that I think it will stick now rightly or wrongly.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »