Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 06:58 PM

Bitch spay/season

Ok anxious Mum here, and I will take her to the vet to get the professional advice, but there is so much experience on the board I thought I would ask your opinions too.

Dinah started her first season on May 4, has finished it long since but is still a little swollen - privates and (I think) a tiny bit in the mammaries. So - I should be thinking about spaying in a couple of weeks but should I delay for, say 4 weeks, to see if this swelling will subside or should we just go off for professional advice now?

Any experience/advice welcome (but not necessarily acted upon!)
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I have just looked at Sal and Tess for you and I have to say I had not noticed however they both have the same as Dinah.

I will watch this post for replies as I have an interest as you know DM.

Karen
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 07:31 PM
thanks Kazz.
My (totally amateur) opinion is that there is still a little bit of hormone there - not enough for a false pregnancy thank goodness, but enough to soften things and affect her boobies.
We're away next weekend so I'll do nothing before that anyway but i think I'll make an appointment for early August. I need the vet to be sure D is fit for surgery and ensure there is nothing hereditary to go against an anaesthetic.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I will PM you DM. However I am certain the girls have not gone back to the size they were before.
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Ok anxious Mum here, and I will take her to the vet to get the professional advice, but there is so much experience on the board I thought I would ask your opinions too.

Dinah started her first season on May 4, has finished it long since but is still a little swollen - privates and (I think) a tiny bit in the mammaries. So - I should be thinking about spaying in a couple of weeks but should I delay for, say 4 weeks, to see if this swelling will subside or should we just go off for professional advice now?

Any experience/advice welcome (but not necessarily acted upon!)

hi Dm
after there first season bitches privetes never go back to the same size as it was before. and most bitches have a small phantom after every season
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 08:09 PM
That could be it then - I'm just out of practice. Haven't raised a bitch from baby-puppy for 20 years!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Generally vets prefer to spay 3 months after the start of the last seaon, so Dinah should be just about right in early August. As said, their bits and pieces never shrink right back to what they were prior to the 1st season.