Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Dog vaccine confusion!

Hi All!

I'm hoping someone can shed light on what and when a dog is vaccinated for. Every vaccination card I've ever seen has had the lepto and dhppi vaccine included every year, and the vet our kennels consults with gives both every year. However a new vet is giving lepto yearly and the dhppi only once every three years. Is this something new/ product dependant? And is there still such a thing as a yearly dhppi vaccine? Many thanks Nicky Xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 04:21 PM
As far as I know, it's only Lepto and KC every year whereas the other used to be every 3 years, then I THINK that even changed to every 5 years??? Could be wrong there, but it's definitely every 3 years now and NOT every single year like it used to be a few years ago.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 04:46 PM
When I first started working at vets surgeries (1970!!) It was lepto every year and the "big booster" every alternate year(At that time did not contain any form of KC protection) then it became every thing every year incuding the KC part of the vaccine, Some vets insisted the nasal drops were done every 4-6mths. Now it seems to be "practice choice" but remember if your dogs are going into kennels they may well require a full booster every year .
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 06:24 PM
We have lepto every year others every 3 years & the kennels are fine with that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 06:49 PM
ALL kennels will accept vaccination in line with manufacturers guidelines. Your vaccines are fine, dont worry. manufacturers now realise a booster of everything each year is NOT necessary and we have been over vaccinating.