View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Finally....a sensible article on dogs and babies!

I just read an article for expectant mothers with dogs and how to prepare your dog for the arrival of a baby...

Now ive read things online recently about how its best to rehome your dog etc etc and there isnt a snowflake in hells chance China is going anywhere!

So i just felt the need to share it with you....im honestly pleasantly shocked!

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/pregnancy/dogs.htm
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Hi a lot it is just common sense really isn't it, on the funny side, i had a friend who was pregnant and she used to carry around the house one of those dolls that cry to get the dog used to the noise etc. She never had any problems with her dog, a staffy i might add.

My brother and his wife have just had twins and although of course he is never left alone with them, again they have had no problems with him. They have tried extremely hard to keep the dog in his usual routine which must have been hard but i think this has helped too.

It is a shame when you hear of people who get rid of their dogs as soon as they find out they are pregnant, a girl at works sister has just done it, it just takes a bit of effort and sense, but then that says to me that they never really wanted the dog in the first place.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree about the obedience classes, they really do strengthen the bond between you and your dog. I'm not sold on all this eating first, going through doors first stuff though. I think that depends entirely on your dog and their attitude to you. Some are more pushy than others, some need a firmer hand, but I disagree that dogs are waiting to take over as pack leader if you drop the ball. Some dogs will certainly take the pi$$ if you let them, but consistency will help here, not dominating.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
i have to agree lokis mum,

china is always walking ahead of us, barges through doors etc, but by god, she is obedient! she is just too nosy and enthusiatic!

She also does always eat after us...but thats her choice, she hangs out for left overs before she eats any of her biscuits...(we always save her a mouthful of food from each meal...gives a bit of variety!)
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
yes i think its common sense, am sure china will be absolutely fine.

I would just say if there is anything she currently does that you wouldnt want her too when baby arrives then stop it now - well before baby so she doesnt associate the two.

ON the whole barging through doorways - Bruno came in very handy - Luca adored it when he was in his door bouncer and I would get bruno to run through the doorway past him and it would twirl him round and bounce him - it was the longest time luca would spend in anything !!! hilarious - he would always get a lick on the way past too !!!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a few issues with the article as well ~ all this "leader of the pack" stuff, eating first, going through doorways first etc is so outdated & discredited. It was based on nothing more than flawed & misinterpreted studies of a captive wolf pack, extrapolated wrongly to how domestic dogs behave & then made the giant leap that dogs don't know the difference between a person & another dog!!

However the penumltimate paragraph starting with "Management..... is pretty good.

The right sort of training is invaluable with any dog & finding suitable training classes & a knowledgeable dog trainer can have huge benefits for many dog owners. But it is not the end of the story ~ it is the owner that does the training, not the class trainer. However good the trainer & the classes, if the owner can't understand their dog, & manage the training, it still won't work.