View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2007, 11:01 PM
There must be an election due as the daft ideas that both main partys think the people want are happening more and more often.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 05:45 AM
What a twonk
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Just like me then
Me too, we re-cycle lots every week and stuff the re-cycling men don't collect, we take to the recycling bank. Our main black bin is only ever half full when it's emptied every 2 weeks now.

Luckily other than the computer and LCD TV every other appliance in this house is A* rated, we've had cavity wall insultation, loft insulation, new combi-condensor boiler heating, so hopefully we're doing a fair bit to be environmentally friendly....lol.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Why is he picking on plasma TV's, we have 2 TV's, a 32" Hitachi, and a 42" plasma, the Hitachi is the tube type TV, it burns twice the power that the plasma TV does.

It's the old story with the tory's, grab a headline, take the spotlight off the mess the tory party is in.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
send him round my house.

my utility room is a carbon footprint nightmare....2 freezers, 1 fridge, tumble dryer and washing machine. do i care........ NO I DONT!!!

i recycle where i can but i aint spending money on something that this country wants me to, just for the sake of it.

i dont believe the global warming con!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Well I don't recycle. I used to, but not here. They are changing the way our rubbish is collected and eventually we will have 3 bins, but it hasn't reached us yet.

I live in a new house, so it's as energy saving as it had to be. Thoroughly insulated, etc. Though we did remove the energy saving lightbulbs in the dining room, lounge, kitchen and bedroom as we have light fittings that can't take them.

I have a freezer in the kitchen and two in the garage(a chest freezer and a fridge freezer). We do have 3 toilets but are on a water meter so they are water saving ones. Our bath is also a modern water saving one, which means it's like sitting in a puddle so we don't use it, we shower, but will replace it with a big deep one, one day.

Yes we have a plasma tv, and 2 lcd tvs as well as 3 normal tvs, 3 laptops and 2 pcs. I really don't see how anyone will make me get rid of any of those things I've worked hard for and enjoy.

I'm not against recycling, just don't have the time or inclination at the moment, though once I've cleared our huge garage I'd like to have a proper area for it.

I do compost the grass clippings
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
When you switch off the TV you're doing it mechanically, by pressing the off button.
I agree it's a bad practice to switch off on standby, the TV does use a small amount of power, but constantly pressing the on/off switch will wear it out.
I always switch off by the button at night, but during the day if i'm going out for an hour or two, I press the standby button on the remote, also, constantly switching the power off/on jolts the cicuit boards unecessarily.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, also seems those of us that live in a period home are up the creek as well! My house is hardly zero carbon - try being energy efficient with wooden sash windows and very high ceilings! My house is designed to be well ventilated. Bang goes any chance of selling my house at a later date if I can't get reduced stamp duty and lower council tax rates! Who comes up with these ideas??
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2