Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
I have no wish to "say hello" thank you.

I have a history of "charity phobia". To reiterate, those who care give quietly, without fuss. Those who want kudos shout it from the rooftops. I will say no more on the subject.

Your reference to "little shows" is patronising in the extreme. It is indicative of your viewpoint.

I have attended my first show and have accurately recounted what I saw. I suspect this is the norm. Why would someone having "fun" crate their dog on the far side of the field, only to bring it out to show it in one class (- AV Open of course)? My dogs had a great day - these dogs did not, I can assure you.

Westie_N makes valid points. You should listen to her, not condemn her out of hand.
AS you've only attended one show your hardly an expert, and as you say you "suspect". How do you know the others didnt have a nice day I always crate mine at shows and there more than happy with there chewies thank you.
By the way Mini was trying to be nice and if you dont want to say hello thats your perogative but were a very friendly site and all try to get alone dispite our obvious differences at times.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 06:45 PM

I have a history of "charity phobia". To reiterate, those who care give quietly, without fuss. Those who want kudos shout it from the rooftops. I will say no more on the subject.

Your reference to "little shows" is patronising in the extreme. It is indicative of your viewpoint.

I have attended my first show and have accurately recounted what I saw. I suspect this is the norm. Why would someone having "fun" crate their dog on the far side of the field, only to bring it out to show it in one class (- AV Open of course)? My dogs had a great day - these dogs did not, I can assure you.

Westie_N makes valid points. You should listen to her, not condemn her out of hand.

How rude of you to respond to Mini in such a way. In no way was her post offensive, as Morganstar has said, this is a friendly site and we all intend to keep it that way.

Maybe some of us do disagree with Westie_N but we are able to debate things in an adult way without resorting to insulting behaviour, and I don't think anyone has condemned her out of hand, we have just expressed our reasons for a difference of opinion. In fact, Westie_N added a smiley face to her last post, hardly the actions of someone who feels condemned.
Marionette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I certainly was not rude. Don't be so touchy.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Marionette, Westie_N has only made one point as far as I can tell, and it's simply to complain that there is too much competition in Compaion shows.

Now, if she has ever had to compete against a Champion in AV Terrier at a Companion show then her point is valid, otherwise it is not at all valid, it becomes a whinge and only serves to show her up as a poor sportsman/woman.

Dawn R.
Excuse me? You are totally wrong. I believe that Companion shows should be there for people who do not show dogs at official shows. I believe in playing fair, obviously some others don't. I am certainly not whinging, as you suggested.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:14 PM
it depends on your definition of fair, The majotiry of us on here (according to the poll) see nothing wrong with showing dogs that are shown in champ shows at companion shows.
And I still cant see why you object so strongly
Marionette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
it depends on your definition of fair, The majotiry of us on here (according to the poll) see nothing wrong with showing dogs that are shown in champ shows at companion shows.
What pleasure can you possibly get by competing and winning at these shows? The satisfaction of beating pet dogs? How sad.

I would have thought that stiffer competition would have been far more satisfying.
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:20 PM

I would say that it is you Marionette, that is being a tad touchy. Mini was only trying to let you know that there was an introduction section, nothing more. If you behave like this within a forum that you are new to, I wonder if you are the same in real life.
No-one that I can see has condemned Westie N, merely pointed out their viewpoint. Of which we are all allowed to do. She has made some sweeping assumptions about the "formal showers" and we are all entitled to answer her.
Having attended only one show, I would say that you should at least attend a few more before forming an opinion.
As for saying that some people only give to charity to gain kudos, I never realised that handing over a few pounds to aid a dog charity could be so beneficial. I can't wait to see how this is going to work. As I have stated before, I attend these shows to have a great day out with the dogs, meet up with old and new friends and help causes that I feel strongly about. I don't go around shouting about how much I gave and how wonderful that makes me as a person. Nothing could be further from the truth and I find your attitude those that give up time and money for charity, totally disgusting.
I wonder, and I hope you are never in this position, if you were destitute and had nothing, would you be as "Charity Phobic" then, or would you be grateful to those folk that you berate now.
Clipper & the furry gang.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I have stated my reasons very clearly as to why I think it's unfair for show dogs to be shown at Companion shows. You could reread my posts and you may understand, although I doubt it.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Thats a shame Dogsey prides itself on giving newcomers a warm welcome if given the opportunity :smt001

If you look at the Companion Show`ers Brags and Photos threads and the Dates threads, you`ll see references to the charities shows attended were run for and many comments of people hoping those charities did well. Every time a charity is mentioned it gives them a profile which has to be a good thing :smt001

Little as in physical size of show, usually small number of rings, [ often just one, sometimes two, rarely more ], sometimes part of a fete or whatever, sometimes a stand-alone show, not a large multi-ring Breed show, iow not little as in `belittled` which is how you seem to have read that comment

I have attended my first show and have accurately recounted what I saw. I suspect this is the norm. Why would someone having "fun" crate their dog on the far side of the field, only to bring it out to show it in one class (- AV Open of course)?
Unless you were watching the owner the whole time...perhaps they had more than one dog, perhaps they did`nt want to drag the dog around all day, perhaps their vehicle was too warm, perhaps it was so they could see the dog easier for security, perhaps the dog needed some quiet time, perhaps any other reason...
Please don`t judge something you don`t have the facts of

My dogs had a great day - these dogs did not, I can assure you.
I think perhaps the owner/s would be in a better position to judge whether or not their own dog/s were perfectly happy or not :smt001

If Westie N was being condemned out of hand I certainly would not have started this discussion thread to give her [ and yourself and everyone else ] the opportunity to discuss it, I would have just asked for such off topic posts to have been removed altogether from the thread where they arose instead of them being moved to this one, [ and creating polls on the subjects of entry eligibility and the charity side as requested ], and no one would be responding at all if they did not have the fairness to discuss it to try to understand a point of view which differs from their own...
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 07:27 PM
What pleasure can you possibly get by competing and winning at these shows? The satisfaction of beating pet dogs? How sad.

I would have thought that stiffer competition would have been far more satisfying.
I dont always win in fact most of the time I get booted, its cheaper to go to companion show and yes I'm going to play the charity card again.
As I've previously stated there are some very very nice dogs out there, and why shouldnt I compete if I enjoy it.
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »