Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All rescue centres have to forward any paperwork that they received with the dog.

KC and vaccination paperwork.
Not that I know they don't,it's surrended back to the KC,our breed rescue under no circumstances do they give you any Registration or pedigree.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
A very good question, well done for raising it.

I got my Benson from the RSPCA, and must admit found the whole 'adoption' process a bit much.

There was the initial visit to the shelter, then the filling in of the form. This was followed by another two visits to the shelter with my wife. I then had to have a letter written and signed by the Headteacher of my school informing them that I was allowed to have a dog in my tied-accommodation bungalow.

Then we had the home visit. I felt like I was being interrogated, and my wife was asked some very direct questions as she is not a dog lover. I then informed them that Benson would not be allowed in certain parts of our house as my wife is very house proud, and that while we were out, he would be confined to the garden and converted garage with no access to the house.

Well, you'd thought I had murdered someone with the ice cold look I was given, as if to say, how dare you not let the Boxer in the house when you are out. Then the interrogation started again at the rescue centre...are you sure you want a dog, your wife isn't keen. Are you sure you can give him the attention he needs, will you walk him enough etc etc.

We were finally passed as okay, and Benson came home. But my wife was not happy with the adoption process, and said on one occasion "stuff them...if I'm not good enough for them, we'll get a puppy".

I think some rescue centres need to lighten up a bit. Yes, they must do checks. But maybe a bit less interrogation wouldn't go amiss.
But surely any reputable breeder would also being doing most of these checks and asking appropriate questions about the breed?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Not that I know they don't,it's surrended back to the KC,our breed rescue under no circumstances do they give you any Registration or pedigree.
When I received the KC paperwork with my lot, all I did you send it back to the Kennel Club along with the adoption paperwork and it was transferred into my name.

It's called transfer of dog ownership.

I guess it depends on the rescue centre.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But surely any reputable breeder would also being doing most of these checks and asking appropriate questions about the breed?
Yes, they do, but our boy's breeder didn't bat an eyelid when I said that the dogs sleep in the kitchen and would be confined there when we were out!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
ok again bad example!!!!!!

ua pup in general - PURERBRED with kc reg etc - compared to a recuse dog - poss purebred with no papers etc

my mistake!!!!...
But in your original comment you said it was because people find pups more appealing not because they were KC registered and used a cross as an example, so what happens when that cute pup grows up to be a big uncute dog.

Can I ask why KC reg is so important to you?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Yes, they do, but our boy's breeder didn't bat an eyelid when I said that the dogs sleep in the kitchen and would be confined there when we were out!
Im sure most escues wouldnt of batted an eye at that either, however sleeping in the garage might be another matter - certainly with my breed as they cant take the cold
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
When I received the KC paperwork with my lot, all I did you send it back to the Kennel Club along with the adoption paperwork and it was transferred into my name.

It's called transfer of dog ownership.

I guess it depends on the rescue centre.
Yes it seems that way,I know stafford rescue are really strict,I understand why,but most they get in have no papers anyway.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Im sure most escues wouldnt of batted an eye at that either, however sleeping in the garage might be another matter - certainly with my breed as they cant take the cold
It depends I guess. In our old house Max had the run of the garage when we were out! We'd put flooring down, heated it etc. Our house at the time was open plan and you coldn't have left a puppy (or a dog) alone in it.

A rescue wouldn't let me have a dog, as we work full time. It is against their policy, regardless of other circumstances. However, the breeder was happy to investigate our circumstances further.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 03:14 PM
We couldnt adopt from a rescue because the rescues want to meet the whole family living at the address and my dad has never been interested in the slightest in dogs he would never hurt one but they just dont intrest him (even though we have had many dogs over the years) so he wouldnt go to the kennels but was happy to be there when they home checked so they could meet him but the rescues are very strict and said no probably for good reason but it does restrict my options for dog owning whilst i still live with my parents,So a puppy is my only option. We did find an old alsation cross wandering and having no luck tracing his owners( we gave his picture and details to many rescues,police and dog warden) we kept him and he was wonderful.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 03:20 PM
TBh when we got china we had seen a collie put our name down they homechecked us (had a brew lookedd at back yard and flat spoke to us a bit asked about our history with dogs and said we would be great for a dog...even though OH worked full time and i was at uni..)
we werent suitable for the collie due to her background but they said any other dog was fine so we saaw china put our name down and collected her 7 days later one cheque and a signature later and she came home..

it ws a very fast procedure for us....no probs...
Page 5 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »