View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I think it is something like that Leo yes.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:28 PM
hi leo, just look at this thread, one of the dogs is dead because they can do so much damage when they fight other dogs, normally in a full blown fight neither dog will back down, neither one will let go! So to use the break sticks is the best way!

2 males are more likely to fight and so are 2 bitches more likely to fight! But it less likely for a bitch and male to fight, but it still does happen!
Bessie is boss, Quinn and Borris are trying it on to which is alpha male! Bessie is Alpha Dog full stop! SO we are very much on the bull with the 2 boys right now!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:31 PM
in which case owners of bull breeds need to be more aware of what their dogs could do if they got into a fight.
bebe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I think 2 bitches are more likely to fight "to the death" than 2 dogs.

Also, Smelling salts (you know the sort, in a tiny bottle that stinks like strong baby nappies ) work well to make a dog let go, if its a matter of urgency. Held under the dogs nose as its breathing through the nose, makes the dog gasp and the eyes water

Its also easier to carry around in your pocket than a breaking stick
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:35 PM
yes of course but many including alot of bull breed owners do not understand what they own, they try to forgot or change their history to suit them, but i do believe this is why the bull breeds are in the state they are today

Wonderful dogs, truely amazing i would never own a different breed other than bull breeds (maybe patterdale or border terrier but only to work them as i couldnt have them as pet dogs, which i could only offer)
But they were bred for fighting and do have that instinct to fight other dogs, but with humans they are beautiful! But much of depends on how you grow your dogs up!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:36 PM
We could never own another bitch with bessie, she would fight for alpha role over bessie and she would kill it!
Bitches on a whole are more likely to fight but 2 males are just about the same!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:41 PM
but surely any owner of any breed should have a good idea of what the dogs basis instincts / character of the dog is before they own.
theres a few staffies round me most of them i know by name and fine with my dogs but in the same respect i don't think they truely know what they have on the lead and i cant see them using breaking sticks on their dogs.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Would it be difficult to train a BC not to herd, I think not.
If the Collie has strong herding work drive, its actually very difficult indeed to train them not to, not without permanently damaging the dogs spirit.

If there is no way to be able to work the dog with sheep, the best thing is to utilise, hone, and redirect the work instinct to let the dog `feel` a job is still being done, using the dogs intincts in a different way without extinguishing them, its the kindest and safest way.
A forcefully broken spirited `worky` collie is a pitiful empty shell of a dog.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
but surely any owner of any breed should have a good idea of what the dogs basis instincts / character of the dog is before they own.
In an ideal world in which every dog owner had at least one brain cell, and bothered to research the dogs they are intrested in first, yes they should, but this is far from an ideal world...
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:47 PM
staffords will not scream and kill another dog just like that if they do this its normally a fear reaction, most staffords show no interest but if pushed they will come back hard, but it only takes that little push and then bang its not pretty and it only takes just a slight show of dominance or pushyness! Also if the other dog is showing aggression before hand then they will react!
Bessie is fine but sniff her behind then she would bite the other dog, its not worth the risk, i dont want to have a dead dog on my hands because of my dog!
Borris and Quinn are not amazing they dont want to play they would rather the dog would just go away but they show any sign of dominance over them (goes for bessie) then they will not take it!
Plus toy they will fight very quickly other twos, we have to watch the boys when they play tug as it sounds very nasty but we take it away when it gets to loud and nasty!
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 25 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »