Our sister sites
Our sister sites
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
But rescues inoculate, spay/neuter, worm, de-flee . . all in for that money

Bailey was £180 from a rescue, even though I wouldn't have neutered him until he was older, it would've cost much more than that due to his size/weight
No not necessarily. Both of my mutts are from shelters and neither were neutered, one wasn't even vaccinated. I have seen many adverts online for bred litters wherethe puppies have been regularly wormed and deflead and had their first sets of vaccinations as well. No one should be neutering 8 week old puppies
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
But rescues inoculate, spay/neuter, worm, de-flee . . all in for that money

Bailey was £180 from a rescue, even though I wouldn't have neutered him until he was older, it would've cost much more than that due to his size/weight
In addition, rescues also cost a lot of money to run and have overheads which a regular household does not have, as not all the people that work there are unpaid volunteers. They also usually have a larger number of dogs to care for than just one accidental litter.

It is logical, therefore, for rescues/shelters and suchlike, to charge a reasonable amount for each dog they rehome.

So paying £200 to a rescue/shelter is hardly comparable to paying £200 for each puppy of an accidental litter from a pet.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't see a problem with people charging £200 for an accidental litter? If it's truly accidental then they're not breeding for profit, and owning a litter of puppies for 8-12 weeks is not exactly without cost especially if they've had their first set of vaccs which many have these days.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I've no opinion on the rights or wrongs of cross breeding but I do know people who pay way much more than 200 for a bliddy handbag or pair of shoes, MUCH more (and maybe hardly ever get them out of their dustbags, or wear them once for a special occasion.) So I see nothing wrong (or odd) with someone paying 200 or even more for a dog that hopefully will bring them years of pleasure and companionship.

I paid almost twice that for Bella and she has no pedigree certificate. I'd have paid even more for her if I had to - I wanted her.

Well, actually, she ended up costing me twice what I paid because she was so ill she spent the first week of her life at the vets!
LoobyLou663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I disagree how the amount a dog costs has a baring on how he will be looked after. Whether someone pays £600 or £30 for a dog does not mean they are going to be a responsible owner and take care of the dog properly. You can tell by the age of someone, personality, and you can inspect homes before selling a puppy (home vet i think its called) i can understand if your selling to a teenager, of course a teenager cant afford the up keep of a dog and the novelty might just ware off.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Do you have any pics of the pups yet BB ?????
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Do you have any pics of the pups yet BB ?????
No, he was out yesterday so should hopefully get them through today
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
IMO a mongrel is worth as much as a £800 pure bred dog if you want a pet,
and again imo they can look much nicer than many pure breeds

i would be happy to pay £200 for a puppy,
Well said. The dog looks an absolute stunner. My own personal point of view for what it's worth is that I would never pay a penny for a pedigree dog, with the possible exception of an Alaskan Malamute. I love the results of a good old shuffle of the cards, and much prefer the variety of not only looks but character and different breed traits that you get with a mongrel. My boys are effectively mongrels, and they are absolutely amazing. Healthy, extremely intelligent and hugely beautiful.
LoobyLou663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
IMO a mongrel is worth as much as a £800 pure bred dog if you want a pet,
and again imo they can look much nicer than many pure breeds

i would be happy to pay £200 for a puppy,
i appreciate your point of view but if you think a mongrel is worth as much as £800 would you buy a car worth £300 for £1000? seems kind of silly to me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by LoobyLou663 View Post
i appreciate your point of view but if you think a mongrel is worth as much as £800 would you buy a car worth £300 for £1000? seems kind of silly to me.
Anything - whether it be a horse, a dog, a car, a house, whatever - is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. If a mongrel's selling price is £800 and someone is prepared to buy that dog for that amount, then that dog is worth £800.
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »