Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-10-2008, 12:44 AM

Quality of petrol gone down too?

We all know the price of petrol has gone up, but does anyone think the quality has gone down too?

Maybe it's just me, but half a tank of petrol doesn't last anywhere near as long as it used to.

Or is it all in my mind?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
We were filing up with Diesel tonight and had the same conversation. Seems to last half as long as it did and cost twice as much for a tank.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Wonder why that is? Watered down?

I could drive to my mums and back (60miles) and the needle would barely move! Now it goes down a qtr of a half tank!!

Maybe we should get intouch with watchdog!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Also I think it depends where you fill up, we seem to get futher from the supermarkets than the little garages. And dont get me started on the services
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:37 AM
I worked in a Tesco garage for several years but I would NEVER use thier petrol or any other supermarkets.
Supermarkets buy thier fuel from whoever can supply cheapest and it does have Ethanol (sp) added, which some cars don't seem to keen on and although subtle there is a difference in thier performance and many garages will tell you can cause engine problems. Remember the problems last year with Tesco fuel that was because too much of the addative Ethanol(sp) had been added by mistake.
You will get a lot more miles to the gallon and most cars will run better on either Esso or Shell petrol.
I know a while back the goverment wanted all garages to add Ethanol (sp) to the fuels but the last I heard was Esso didn't want to and was saying they would fight it all the way.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:07 AM
I find I get a better consumption rate with "proper" fuel (BP, Shell, Texaco etc) than I do with the supermarket stuff. I used to buy it in Tesco, as it was cheaper but realised I was buying it more often.

I can't say I've noticed any detriment with the dedicated garages, though.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:52 AM
There is no 'normal' petrol stations around here at all anymore, just supermarkets!
I haven't found it a problem though to be honest!
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I fill up at asda as i've got one of their cards that gets you 2p off a litre! Can't say I've noticed any difference in consumption though. Mind I probably wouldn't notice anyways.

I have recently been told by a friend (who has a friend who used to work for some petrol company) that it is best to fill up either early morning or at night as its colder then and also not to press the lever on the pump too far just squeeze gently. I forget the proper scientific reasoning!! but its something to do with the additives not going into your car as much when you fill slowly and also when its cooler. I don't know if this is right, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm glad I've only got a mini cos it would take ages to fill up a really big tank!! BUT... if it saves money then I'm in!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
I put Tesco fuel in last week and was disgusted at the mileage I got from it,wont be back there filling up.Popped into Morrisons this week and have done way more mileage for the same amount of petrol.Have to agree with the small garages being better fuel and lasts longer,xxxxxxx
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Azz they do water it down, but not using water as that'd destroy your engine.

Instead what they do is infuse air into the liquid mix as its being pumped (think fizzy water). This air takes up volume which should be fuel. Therefore, 60l of fuel may not be 60l of diesel or petrol.

Not sure if you can complain, as they've been doing this for ages now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >