Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Weaves!!!!!

Bessy starts dog training 3rd September. Once shes settled in more and has better obedience i will be starting agility. Shes very good she has an emergency down, down, sit & sit stay with an excellant recall already!!
I have always had bad luck with the dreaded weaves!!!
I have some electric fence posts in my garden to which i do a bit of fun stuff with the others. Plus a few jumps.
Starting from scratch how is the best way to teach her.
Do i start her on the open channel or go straight into the weaves on the lead. With my commands, should i use weave weave weave weave as we are going through or should i use in out in out in out with the direction shes going in? I really want to get it right this time.
Thanks
Julie
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 12:45 PM
i would start on the lead with just three poles and build up from there, also use weave instead of inand out as after some practice she'll be to quick to fit all the words in - will try and post vids of ours weaving (who learnt like this) tomorrow.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I must admit I do use Weave and Come - but that suits me and Maxy but he is not going to be quick being a setter - I only have a max of 5 at home to practice with at present.

To start off I hold the collar to avoid running out and hold treat in other hand to show the way by literally weaving my hand in front of nose - don't go to fast to start with.

Max has just started to work out the entrance now when i say go weaves! but he is now going at a reasonable speed (for a setter ) 9 months from starting!

If I can get a video to show you I will - although think kicks probably has better than me
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 02:46 PM
dont be daft rachel - the video i have looks good but isnt one of the many showing him smashing the poles!!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
dont be daft rachel - the video i have looks good but isnt one of the many showing him smashing the poles!!!
thanks for that
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 07:57 PM
OK Thanks.
Its daft really because i've been doing agility for a few years. because of my fear of the weave Skye never quite got it. I had to retire her due to a back injury. The other 2 eye ball
very strongly, so its nice having Bessy to start a fresh again. Just want to be confident & get the weaves right this time.
I love agility SO much & really miss it. Bessy likes treats and toys which is great. Would much rather use a toy.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I taught mine all differently. Bertie learnt with channel weaves, but really couldn't get it when they were in a straight line, now he finds the weaves from nearly any angle, but slows right down and wanders through them, I can't say whether that was caused by the confusion when learning them in a straight line, but I personally wouldn't teach another dog using this method. Teagan learnt with 'weave, come', it didn't take her long to speed up and I dropped the 'come', but I can still use it at the end if I think she will pop out if there's something like a tunnel next, she weaves really fast (2.8 secs/12 poles), but can go in the 2nd pole, especially if turning right into them. Skye (my baby, 19 months), I taught using v-weaves, she learnt really quick (doing upright weaves after 3 weeks) and she gets her entry nearly every time at home and class, but hasn't yet at the 2 shows she's been to, but has done the weaves nicely once in them (she does 12 poles in about 3.1 secs, but still a baby and should speed up as she gets more confidence). There's also the 2x2 method that alot of clicker trainers use, where you start with 2 poles and teach them the entry, then add 2 poles at a time until they're doing 12, I haven't taught anyone that method, so don't know.
My only advice is decide which method you're going to use and stick to that method.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Debbie i will try the last one i think :smt023
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2007, 09:55 PM
The instructor in our beginners classes taught us by starting with 2 poles then adding more on. She told us this way makes it easier for the dog to get the entry right. We started off on collar and lead and over 8 weeks , got the dogs going round a small course off lead. I've just started agility so I only know what I've been taught so far. I have to say my Staffie learned very quickly using this method. Time will tell though , I start new classes with a new club in 2 weeks ! The above instructor only does beginners classes to introduce poeple to agility , then recommends another club to anyone who wants to go further.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-08-2007, 09:27 AM
We're doing it with our yr old collie, and we're starting with two poles, walking towards them, and rewarding her when she goes through them. Our instructor said that this will enable her to become great at entry as well as rest of weaves. Once we are happy with the entry, from any angle we will then add anonther two poles, and continue to get her to work it out herself, with only a little assistance. The instructor reckons that she cotton on quite quick with this method. With our shepherd we started off by leading him with a treat and toy through the weaves, and after two years he still needs to follow our hand, which isn't too bad as he is quite slow, and we arte with him all the time.