Our sister sites
Our sister sites
clyde_baby
New Member!
Male 

08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Advice needed please!

Hi,
I am a newbie on here and would like a little help!
I recently received a letter from the insurance company of an acquantance with whom I used to walk my dog claiming that my dog attacked hers and asking for payment of her vets' bill and excess.At the time(in December) there was no mention,indeed not until 48 hours later.She examined her dog in front of me without mentioning any damage.An initial puncture wound then became a deep wound which in turn became a problem only surgery could rectify.I was in contact with the owner for a fortnight after but I stopped asking for more information as I was getting nowhere-I asked to see the dogs' injury,the vets' report and the vets' bill but to no avail.There has been no further correspondence for more than two months so obviously now any injury would no longer be visible.I was asked for money on the first occasion(as were my parents when they were visited by the owners without my knowledge).There is a doubt in my mind as to whether there was ever any injury sustained and I am being asked to pay for another problem altogether.And despit having no money I see that these people now have three dogs and also now had the alleged victim castrated.Everyone I have spoken to including those at my dog obedience club(as well as the trainer) also think that this seems a bt suspicious.I would welcome any comments or advice!
Thank you
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Dog bite wounds can often be much worse than they appear from the outside. What looks like a simple puncture wound can be hiding torn muscle underneath and if treatment isn't sought quickly then infection can set in and things can get very nasty.

I would ask for a vets report (you're not necessarily entitled to a copy of the dogs notes but they can ask the vet to write a report noting his findings and the dates and treatment involved)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Won`t your own insurance cover this? (3rd party). They do need to provide an itemised bill in any event, but puncture wounds can be serious.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
As said above, I would most certainly ask for a vets report.
clyde_baby
New Member!
Male 

08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the response,I have asked for a copy of the report on more than one occasion.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Get your solicitor to write a letter requesting it.
clyde_baby
New Member!
Male 

08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes,the insurance would cover it but since I have no idea of the cost of the vets' bill or the owners excess I have not done anything more than ask Petplan for a claim form.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Is your dog insured? If so I would hand the claim straight over to your insurance company. They certainly will not pay out on a bogus claim and will investigate.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Is your dog insured? If so I would hand the claim straight over to your insurance company. They certainly will not pay out on a bogus claim and will investigate.
Yes, I would do the same. Clearly stating that you have doubts as to the claim because nothing was mentioned at the time of the incident. You know insurance companies, they'll never pay out unless absolutely necessary!
clyde_baby
New Member!
Male 

08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I'll do that,thanks.I think I will get some advice as the letter from the insurance company is not the most professional,the date of the incident is 8 December 2009!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >