Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Insurance for un-vaccinated dogs?

Could anyone tell me which companies will insure and reliably pay out claims for dogs which aren't currently vaccinated?
(I don't want to start another debate about the pros/cons of annual vaccination.)

I understand that conditions which could have been vaccinated against will be excluded but want cover for everything else.

I'd like to expecially hear from people who have dealt with the companies themselves.

Thanks,

Mandy x
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
As far as I was aware you can insure any dog whether it is innoculated or not.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Tesco do...
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I got a quote of £22.27 for my two from Tesco but having read up about them on here I'm not going ahead with insuring with them unless I draw a blank elsewhere.

Thanks very much though Kicks.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
no worries, i'm not actually covered with them but was looking round for one that doesnt require vaccines the other day!
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I spent a lot of time looking for just that. I didn't come up with anything. It seems all the small print excluded most incidents of sickness/illness when not vaccinated. The cover then only accepted injury, loss or third party.

Mostly I found the broker would just plain say no. Then having called the underwriter direct they'd waffle on about the good points of vaccination and not listen to any evidence to the contrary.

So I ended up uninsured, and now spending a fortune each month

I would be interested to know how you get on though.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Animal Friends insure if you don't vaccinate, but NOT for conditions you could have vaccinated against.
http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/pet_...insurance.html

There is a thread running about this company on here. Have a search!
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by warlord0 View Post
I spent a lot of time looking for just that. I didn't come up with anything. It seems all the small print excluded most incidents of sickness/illness when not vaccinated. The cover then only accepted injury, loss or third party.

Mostly I found the broker would just plain say no. Then having called the underwriter direct they'd waffle on about the good points of vaccination and not listen to any evidence to the contrary.

So I ended up uninsured, and now spending a fortune each month

I would be interested to know how you get on though.
When I filled in the quotation form on the Tesco site there was a specific question to answer yes or no to as to whether the dogs were vaccinated, I ticked no and still was offered cover, as per usual they just state that they won't cover for illnesses that would have been vaccinated against.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Animal Friends insure if you don't vaccinate, but NOT for conditions you could have vaccinated against.
http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/pet_...insurance.html

There is a thread running about this company on here. Have a search!

Have just read the terms and conditions on the AFI website and it says vaccination is required.

"12.1.11 You must always take reasonable steps to prevent an Accident, Illness, loss or damage and to minimise any claims under this policy. You must have Your Pet wormed regularly and protect it from infections or contagious disease by keeping it isolated. You must also have Your Pet vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus for dogs, kennel cough when entering a boarding kennel or show, and feline infections such as enteritis, feline leukaemia and cat flu for cats. You must also agree to have Your Pet vaccinated against any other disease a Vet feels is necessary."

It does look like a good policy though. Might be easier for me to save up and get them jabbed I guess.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I specifically asked about vaccinations on the phone and they said yes, you would be covered for say a broken leg if you didn't vaccinate...but not for parvo.
It says on the quote you gave that they have to be vaccinated if you are entering shows etc...I'm guessing they should be anyway?

Give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >