Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-05-2008, 06:57 AM

NHS Rant

8 years ago I had an endoscopy to discover why I had constant indigestion. At the hospital they managed to leave a 3cm portion of the canula in my arm, which resulted in my going home, going to bed, and waking up with blood pouring from the thing, then going through a farcial period of the hospital denying that there was anything in there, then trying to X-Ray for an X-Ray trasnparent piece of plastic, then having it ultrasounded, and finally removed on Xmas day by a surgeon dressed in theatre greens and wearing flashing reindeer antlers on his head... The results of the test were, I was assured, that I had a mild hernia.
Scroll forward 8 years...
Just had a letter through the post from my local doctor, asking me when I was last checked, as he can find no records of recent checks, and Barretts Oesophagus is a fairly major contibutor to oesophageal cancer.
Only...nobody actually mentioned that I *had* barrett's Oesophagus. I wonder if he misses it?
I am less than impressed, given that one of the major causes of the precancerous cells turning into full-blown cancer is *a delay in treatment*...Oh good...no worries there then!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Know how you feel hon. I have Barrett's too.....
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Know how you feel hon. I have Barrett's too.....
I should really have known...the oak tree sticking out of my ear was a giveaway...
I'm just peed off that it has taken them 8 years to tell me...
No0t waooried about the condition, to be honest...what happens will happen, and what doesn't, won't. I'm just annoyed at the MHS's remarkable efficiency.

You'll have to tell me all about it By the time the NHS get around to telling me I'll be old and senile. So, about 3 weeks time