View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Does anyone have a kennel and run in there garden?

I have just been having a discussion with my better half about whether or not we should get a kennel and run and put at the bottom of our garden for the dogs.

You see we are going to hopefully be having some major work done on our house in about a months time, (we are having an two storey extension put on the back house as it’s getting to small) and as our dogs are really protective and I mean really protective of the house, I just don’t want any of the builders to have to come face to face with one of them. Otherwise they will be running up that ladder faster then their legs can carry them if you get my drift.

Normally if we have visitors I’m able to put them in the back room, and then just let them out with us so that they know everything is all right. But as we won’t have a back room for a while, I’m just not sure what to do with them.

I can lock them in my office for a while, but that’s still not ideal.

Have any of you got kennel with a run? If so are the dogs still prone to kennel cough and how do they behave?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Kennel cough has nothing to do with being in a kennel btw
(Although it does spread if in a communal kennel, such as boarding kennels!)
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I have purpose built kennels with runs which were a complete waste of money, my dogs hated them and would bark constantly when they were in them. They don't go in them at all now as I couldn't stand the noise and hated seeing my dogs so stressed out.
If your dogs are used to being in the house like mine are (btw, my dogs were never big barkers) you will probably find yours will more than likely, like my own dogs will not take to them at all.
My only advice is invest in some good ear plugs and pre - warn your nieghbours if you decide to go ahead with them.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I have a Kennel and run and my Borzois love it. They are not a vocal breed though so I don't have the worry of them annoying the neighbours. I find it great if people come to visit who are perhaps allergic to dogs or frightened of them and I can put the boys out for a little while during the visit. They are both house dogs most of the time but when the weather is good they prefer to be outside and I let them have the run of the whole back garden but leave the dog run gate open so they have access ot the kennel if they want to go in. Also my back door is open most of the time durng the good weather and they come in anout as they please. I think it woudl be a benefit while the workmen are at your House as they are safe when in the run with the gate padlocked and you don't have the fear of a door being opened in the house and them escaping and scaring the wokmen or worse still perhaps running into the road.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I have a Kennel and run and my Borzois love it. They are not a vocal breed though so I don't have the worry of them annoying the neighbours. I find it great if people come to visit who are perhaps allergic to dogs or frightened of them and I can put the boys out for a little while during the visit. They are both house dogs most of the time but when the weather is good they prefer to be outside and I let them have the run of the whole back garden but leave the dog run gate open so they have access ot the kennel if they want to go in. Also my back door is open most of the time durng the good weather and they come in anout as they please. I think it woudl be a benefit while the workmen are at your House as they are safe when in the run with the gate padlocked and you don't have the fear of a door being opened in the house and them escaping and scaring the wokmen or worse still perhaps running into the road.
Thats sound great.

I must admit that my problem wasn't them running into the road, but them biting one of the workmen instead.

My Dobes are always running in and out of the garden, becuse like you my back door is always open.

What make and size is your one?

Colin
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I think some sort of Kennel would be a good Idea just to keep the Dogs safe, workman are very good at forgetting to close doors:smt002

or maybe you could keep them upstairs.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2007, 08:25 AM
They can be very useful. We had a lovely one as we used to take in rescue dogs when the rescue was full. Our GSD was happy in it for a couple of hours too.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Quote "Colin Bradish" What size and make is your one?

My is run 10 x 8 and it is a guy who has a business locally that I bought it from it worked out cheaper from him as it cut out the carriage charges, but as you are down South there may be one near to you and you could collect.

My Kennel I bought from someone on E By who makes them

Here are a few companies who do them.

There if for example Croft www.croftonline.co.uk

and Canine Kennels www.caninekennels.com

Reeves www.reeveskennels.co.uk

These are the bigger companies and may be too expensive . There are a few smaller ones if you want to pm me.

Hope it works out for you.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all your advice.

Firstly Amie there is no was on this planet I would allow my three lunatics upstairs. Other than it's the cat domain, they would use the beds as a trampoline.

I'm not going to spend some time having a good look through eBay to see if I can get one at sensible money.

You see as I'm only going to be needing it while the workmen are here, I really don't want to have to spend a couple of grand on a kennel and run large enough to house three Dobes.

Colin
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 02:30 PM

This is Inka and Kains, I would'nt be without one now, total god send
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >