Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elena
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Are people afraid of Ridgebacks?

Until last Autumn we had a Vizsla bitch. She was fantastic and, as my husband's first dog, it was a great introduction to the canine world for him and our two young boys (6 and 7). However, being used to more strong willed dogs (I used to owned two Airdale terriers) I found Vizsla a bit too soft, easy and far too friendly towards everybody. We're now agonising over what type of breed we should now have however. He's keen to have another Vizla while my preference is for a Ridgeback bitch that will have a similar temperament but give a bit of added 'security'. I feel that I've research the breed very well and prepared to spend a lot of time training her.

My husband's main concern (besides the size) is that a Ridgeback, off the lead, will needlessly worry other walkers and children. Whilst some people are afraid of dogs, with our Vizla's medium build and 'loving' personality it normally won people over. Is my husband right to be concerned about the possible fears of others when a (well trained) Ridgeback is off the lead ? Help please sway one of us ! Many thanks!

Elena
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Well I've met a few Ridgebacks off lead, and have to say never had a bad experience. The ones I have met have been very well mannered and wonderful dogs.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey

I dont understand why you think a ridgeback would 'needlessly worry walkers or children'?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I wouldnt think so, all the ones I know are very placid dogs, though not owning one, I cant say for sure how the GP would feel about them,
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I can honestly say that every single Ridgeback Ive met has had a fab temperament. I love them to bits!!

What do you need added security for?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
No not at all and in all honesty, looks wise, the 2 breeds are not exactly worlds apart are they?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
We met a lovely Ridgeback off the lead in the fields the other week. I chatted with the owner for about half an hour as Ridgebacks are on my wish list and she loved Boxers.

She said she'd never had any problems with her dog and that he was the softest dog ever.

Obviously thats just one person's view/dog but all the Ridgebacks i've ever met have been lovely.

I think these days with the media's representation of dogs unfortunately the larger breeds are often looked at with caution. It's a funny thing to experience because you know your own dog inside out but to see how other people look at them takes some getting used to.

We get some funny looks from people towards our Boxer and he's only 5 months old so god knows what it will be like when he's fully grown!!
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I like ridgebacks, not had any bad experiences. I suppose its the same with any dog....as long as they are well trained, they will behave well (mostly )
elena
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
"I dont understand why you think a ridgeback would 'needlessly worry walkers or children'?" My husband's worry is that general public will view RR as they view dobies, GS and other big breeds.
"What do you need added security for?" I do run a lot in wooded areas and think I will feel a bit more confident with RR but that's not the main reason, I just like the look of them and their character.

He also worries about the problems with recall. Any comments?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2009, 10:49 PM
no worries,iv worked with a few ,and if you need security thats a good dog to have,i chose dogos for there look ,as well as all the other things , needed in a dog
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >