Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bullys4ever
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Awful - for all concerned. I think more should be done to penalise people with off-leasd dogs in public areas (where they aren't supposed to be off-lead). When I was living in an urban environment it was always Bull terriers and their variations that were off-lead most of all (apart from one idiot and his dog-aggressive JRT, both of them should have been on leads!!).
In just my experience i have found that the most times ive had dogs coming big distances accross the fields snarling with backs up at my dogs are firstly Border collies, followed by german shepherds and a few staffs all usually with owners looking on.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 01:05 AM
How awful. My heart goes out to Nikki's poor owners.
As awful as it is I do wonder if it had been a lab that had killed Nikki, would it even have been reported?
A springer spaniel attacked Danny the other week, he was going for his neck area but fortunately Danny is so quick, he turned around and avoided him. Danny was on a lead and this dog came flying out of the pub (landlord's dog). It could have been nasty, but I doubt the papers would have been interested if he'd been killed as he's not a bull terrier type.
That aside, it's a tragic thing to happen. I know .
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:14 AM
OMG how sad for those poor people
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Poor little dog and owner-how traumatising to witness that.

We have a fair few numpties round here who insist on walking their dogs unleashed by the roadside and they are usually Staffy owners I'm afraid.

When I see them I cross over to the other side of the road to put a distance between them and my dogs and get my hand on my alarm should I need it.

Sadly it seems like these owners saw the dog off-lead and could have taken avoidant action or picked their small dogs up but didn't. I bet that will haunt them for the rest of their lives and how sad for the remaining dog who is missing his companion.

I hope they get the scumbags who let their dog do this.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 01:33 PM
What a terrible thing to happen. It makes you wonder what provoked the attack.

Heidi
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2011, 02:18 PM
It is so so sad, poor owners... I have nothing at all against staffies as I know a lots that are lovely, I agree that all dogs are dangerous without the right leadership but imo unfortunately there are many numpty owners and the really bad ones who want to be tough often go for staffies...

Just before I read this post I was out the front training Keira, inside my front garden but the driveway gate were open as she was on lead, her lead was looped over the gate (not driveway gates) inside and the gate was closed but as the kids were on the green we are building her down and waiting for next command with some distractions.... This staffie who is not aggressive actually he's quite sweet was on the front with its owner, young lad about 18, the dog started to come into the garden, he had to come through the driveway gates and half way up the garden to get to us, so I asked him to keep him out of the garden as I was training Keira, he just grunted but called the dog who left the garden, next minute the dog is pushing past me to get to Keira so I told him again to get his dog on lead or at least keep it out of my garden as I was training.... 'go f***in train your dog indoors if you don't want any dogs near your precious puppy' good job it wasn't viscious coz with attitudes like that what hope do we have Yes I could close my driveway gates but why on earth should I have too x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lovesgsds View Post
It is so so sad, poor owners... I have nothing at all against staffies as I know a lots that are lovely, I agree that all dogs are dangerous without the right leadership but imo unfortunately there are many numpty owners and the really bad ones who want to be tough often go for staffies...

Just before I read this post I was out the front training Keira, inside my front garden but the driveway gate were open as she was on lead, her lead was looped over the gate (not driveway gates) inside and the gate was closed but as the kids were on the green we are building her down and waiting for next command with some distractions.... This staffie who is not aggressive actually he's quite sweet was on the front with its owner, young lad about 18, the dog started to come into the garden, he had to come through the driveway gates and half way up the garden to get to us, so I asked him to keep him out of the garden as I was training Keira, he just grunted but called the dog who left the garden, next minute the dog is pushing past me to get to Keira so I told him again to get his dog on lead or at least keep it out of my garden as I was training.... 'go f***in train your dog indoors if you don't want any dogs near your precious puppy' good job it wasn't viscious coz with attitudes like that what hope do we have Yes I could close my driveway gates but why on earth should I have too x
Yes they do seem to attract some lovely owners! Most uncouth and unnecessary. I am not being owner prejudiced-it is just reality from experience sadly!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I do agree that lots of yobs appear to own staffies. And the poor staffies are the ones suffering. When I look at Coco I see how loving staffies can be....she's blown me away.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
How awful. My heart goes out to Nikki's poor owners.
As awful as it is I do wonder if it had been a lab that had killed Nikki, would it even have been reported? A springer spaniel attacked Danny the other week, he was going for his neck area but fortunately Danny is so quick, he turned around and avoided him. Danny was on a lead and this dog came flying out of the pub (landlord's dog). It could have been nasty, but I doubt the papers would have been interested if he'd been killed as he's not a bull terrier type.
That aside, it's a tragic thing to happen. I know .

You mean like the LABRADOR that bit that child the other day, I think the answer is YES.

You mean like the Weimaraner that killed a terrier last year, the answer is YES.

I can quote numerous other breeds which have attacked other people and dogs which have been reported in the media!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:09 PM
What I mean is that it's "trendy" to frown upon staffies. And Rotties for that matter. They have a bad reputation which I think is unfair. Labs do not.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >