Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 07:29 AM

Is she just being picky?

I tried molly on the fish jwb a couple of weeks ago and she loved it when i brought it the bloke at the shop said he always has it in stock so when i went back he had none and i had to buy her usual lamb
she's just refusing to eat it she just looks at it and only eats it if i mix it with a little chesse or sausage

is she just being picky or could something be wrong?
she seems to be malting a lot (more than she ever has)

thanks xx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2006, 08:11 AM
I would start on the assumption that she is being picky. Do the usual thing - food down, wait 10 mins, pick it up, nothing more except water until next mealtime.

If she is usually a good eater then, if she is still refusing after 36 hours, you may need to consult a vet.

Does she seem ok apart from the heavy moult? Is it a 'normal' moult - not falling out and leaving bare patches? Everything else ok - energy, poos, wees, drinking, etc.?
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 08:24 AM
she was fine first thing this morning but now she's a bit mopey but could that be down to the weather being so warm?
her moult is not leaving patches just quite heavy shes still drinking ok

her appetite seems ok she bites my hand off if i've got cheese or sausage she seems hungry but isn't eating her food
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I would do as suggested above - give her only her meals & forget training & treats for a day. If she is hungry for goodies then it does sound like pickiness The weather, if it is hot, could also be affecting her appetite. However, as always, if you are really worried, and/or she does not eat her meals in 36-48 hours, then seek a professional opinion.

Hope to hear soon that she is scoffing her rations as per normal
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I would say picky. Poppy's like this all the time, I used to feed her JWB lamb, then after a couple of weeks she went off it, so I tried her on the duck one, loved it for a couple of days then went off it. I've tried about half a dozen good quality dog foods, both dry and moist and have finally found one moist that she is happy to eat for 2 of her meals, and one dry that she'll have in the morning. Even then, occasionally she'll decide after one sniff of her bowl that she doesn't want what's in it, so it gets taken away, covered with cling film, put in the fridge and offered again at the next meal time, 9/10 times she'll eat it on the second offering.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Well she's just been bounding round the garden so i think she's just being picky

they are cheeky monkeys they don't half make you worry
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
It's amazing isn't it they ain't daft! She'll be thinking "Ooh if I hold out I'll get some tasty cheese!"

Yet try to teach em "come here" and it's like they've never even seen you before in their lives!
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I know exactly what you mean
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
It's amazing isn't it they ain't daft! She'll be thinking "Ooh if I hold out I'll get some tasty cheese!"
Yep, been there! I used to worry so much about Poppy not eating her dog food, I'd end up cooking her chicken and pasta or poaching some fish. Amazing how long they can hold out if they think something better might be coming
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 04:10 PM
well she woofed her tea down i don't think she cared what it tasted like

so much for me worrying
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >